PDA

View Full Version : PrC Contest XXXV: Voting Thread!

ErrantX
2012-10-23, 11:12 PM
It's the most wonderful time of the month, the time where we come out and celebrate the awesomeness we all created and single one out as being the exemplar of the theme for the month. So, with this mission heavy in our hearts, let us vote for a winner!

Rules: Three votes, ranked in order. 1st place gets 3 points, 2nd place 2 points, and 3rd place 1 point. Bold your choices and if ya can, please say why you voted that way (did you like it because it fit theme, reminded you of your mom, or perhaps made you want to buy a cat?). Voting ends November 2nd. Make it do! :smallcool:

Entries for the GitP PrC Contest XXXV: The Last Harvest! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256751)

{table=head]Prestige Class|Author|1st|2nd|3rd|Total
Mawkin|sirpercival|4|1|1|15
Wakeless Titan|Retrokinesis|1|0|0|3
The Horror|EdroGrimshell|1|2|1|8
The Spirit Stalker|Zallera|1|2|0|7
Name-Me-Not|Amechra|4|0|3|15
Deadman|Hyooz|1|4|3|14
Degenerate Chef|Spate|2|0|1|7
Mythtaken|Glimbur|0|0|3|3
Macabre Mask Maker|Owrtho|0|4|1|9
Faceless Terror|TheGeckoKing|1|0|1|4
Treat Master|Amphetryon|0|3|1|7
Keeper of the Dead|Techwarrior|0|0|0|0
Memetic Witch|NekoIncardine|2|0|2|8
Pumpkin Warrior|Rainshine|0|2|0|4
Pumpkin King|dragonjek|1|2|1|8[/table]

and the winner of the tie-breaker is.... the Mawkin by sirpercival!!

Get voting! And apologies to those that didn't make the cut due to your class being unfinished. Regrets, but those are the rules. Best of luck next contest, and best of luck to the successful entrants this month!

-X

EdroGrimshell
2012-10-23, 11:42 PM
1st Place: Mawkin
2nd Place: Macabre Mask Maker
3rd Place: Horror

1) It's an interesting class with a lot of flavor and good options. Well done and definitely my favorite. Additionally, it's emphasis on fear is a fun playstyle that I truly do enjoy.

2) Always love xenoalchemy, and getting something similar to one of my favorite characters from Inuyasha makes this one very interesting to me.

3) I know it's frowned upon to vote for your own class, but I seriously don't like the other classes (besides Mawkin and Macabre Mask Maker) as much as the Horror.

Retrokinesis
2012-10-24, 03:41 AM
I'll restrain myself from voting for my own class :P

1. Faceless Terror: Short and simple, but extremely effective at what it does. Wins my "most likely to actually play" award for very useful abilities and nice flavor. It helps that I once played a Nosomatic Chirurgeon who killed half the campaign setting with an omega strain faceless hate, of course!

2. Deadman: Can it be? Something that makes Duskblade INTERESTING? I like the sheer number of options it has to cause mayhem in combat as well as the sustain and crafting capabilities.

3. Name-Me-Not: The moment I read this I had the idea of a character who stuck their home mirror in the high council chamber of a government and manipulated national politics. It's VERY complex and has a ton of options and mechanics but could be a blast to play in an unorthodox campaign. Just wish it had a little more field presence.

It was hard to narrow it down to just three; this was a great contest overall. I had fun joining in for the first time too!

EDIT:

3) I know it's frowned upon to vote for your own class, but I seriously don't like the other classes (besides Mawkin and Macabre Mask Maker) as much as the Horror.

I was seriously considering not saying anything but what the hell, I'm no diplomat. That's a pretty terrible attitude to take. If you're just looking for an excuse to justify voting for yourself then fine but if you seriously think there aren't more than 3 good entries I'm fairly sure everyone else will agree you're just wrong. I could've picked twice that easily and found it difficult to cut down to just 3. :(

sirpercival
2012-10-24, 11:13 AM
1. Horror: I love me some martial fear builds. That is all.

2. Deadman: Interesting and cool. I'd like to combine this with my favorite homebrewed Blood Mage for an awesome villain.

3. Name-Me-Not: Holy cow this was complicated, and I'm not sure I understand it all, but the idea and flavor are boss.

Honorable Mention to the Treatmaster, which could be a nice add-on to a Mystic Brew Warcrafter. :D

ErrantX
2012-10-25, 01:30 PM
Tallied.

Moar votes now plz!!

But srsly, everyone who entered at least should vote. Please do!

-X

EdroGrimshell
2012-10-25, 03:39 PM
EDIT:

I was seriously considering not saying anything but what the hell, I'm no diplomat. That's a pretty terrible attitude to take. If you're just looking for an excuse to justify voting for yourself then fine but if you seriously think there aren't more than 3 good entries I'm fairly sure everyone else will agree you're just wrong. I could've picked twice that easily and found it difficult to cut down to just 3. :(

Could have worded it better, but really it's a matter of personal opinion. I liked yours for its focus, but I didn't like the focus, similar things for others.

Melayl
2012-10-25, 09:54 PM
1) Memetic Witch -- It makes me smile. :smallsmile: I also think it well balanced in power, and I like how it fits the theme.

2) Witch Hunter if it had been finished so:
2) Pumpkin Warrior -- I also liked how it fits the theme as well. I think it needed something about a blue blanket, though...

3) Mythtaken -- I found it entertaining...

Amphetryon
2012-10-25, 11:10 PM
Pumpkin King - Fun and interesting

Pumpkin Warrior - Extremely thematic

Mythtaken - I liked the way it fit together

Felyndiira
2012-10-25, 11:16 PM
I have now learned a lesson in why procrastinating is a bad idea XD.

1st Place: Mawkin - Great design; the class is written with a lot of fluff, allowing the reader to really get into the idea and theme of the class. It was very apparent that a lot of work is put into this one.
2nd Place: Macabre Mask Maker - A really cool class; very detailed, well-written, and with just enough complexity to be a fun class.
3rd Place: Memetic Witch - The class concept is really nice! And fits in with the theme very well, too.

Glimbur
2012-10-27, 10:16 AM
First Vote: Degenerate Chef It's creepy, vile, and well balanced.

Second Vote: Treat Master Exactly on theme, interesting effects, good mechanical balance.

Third Vote: Deadman Covered in (red) flavor, reasonable power level.

Rainshine
2012-10-28, 10:54 PM
1. Spirit Stalker -- I liked the feel, the general theme, and the balance of the powers. Now I kindof want to play one...
2. Treat Master -- Initially it sounded silly to me with the name and all; then as I read it I nodded to myself. I like the simplicity of it all, keeping with an interesting theme, and particularly the possibilities opened up with the effects of potions depending on the imbier's standing
3. Degenerate Chef -- Well done. Simple, consistent theme, sounds like a good antagonist for a future campaign

Kallisti
2012-10-28, 11:02 PM
1. Name-me-not
2. Mawkin
3. Macabre Maskmaker

JoshuaZ
2012-10-29, 11:05 AM
1. Name-Me Not - Everything about this PrC is just excellent.
2. Macabre Mask Make. Creepy.
3. Memetic Witch Gets a vote for being on the fun side of Halloween, and can likely be played with varying degrees of seriousness, which seems like a definite positive.

ErrantX
2012-10-29, 06:07 PM
Tallied!

Close race so far, but it could be anyone's game. Moar votes!

-X

Tanuki Tales
2012-10-30, 12:04 PM
1st - Memetic Witch
2nd - Deadman
3rd - Pumpkin King

Zallera
2012-10-30, 04:44 PM
Degenerate chef- would make a great one-off or recurring villain

Pumpkin King - for actually making me want to roll a bard.

Mawkin - Another class that seems cool to use as a villian

AtlanteanTroll
2012-10-30, 11:27 PM
1st: Wakeless Titan - It just felt so unique. And the art was from ScoobyDoo! How coudn't I?

2nd: The Spirit Stalker - Jack Skellington quote, hello.

3rd: Deadman - Wonderland!

ErrantX
2012-10-30, 11:39 PM
Tallied.

4 way tie at the moment and another two trailing those by 1. Tough race folks.

-X

FireInTheSky
2012-10-31, 12:07 AM
1st - Mawkin
2nd - The Horror
3rd - Treat Master

Ammutseba
2012-10-31, 07:55 AM
1st Place: Mawkin
I really love this class. Class entry is flavorful and functional, there are no glaring balance issues, and wearing your own shadow is just so cool. I really like its fear advancement, as well.

2nd Place: Horror
This is a very exciting class. Martial fear users are great, and all of the concepts behind this one were strongly evoked without overdoing it. However, some of its class abilities were sadly missing parts, or had good intentions but didn't actually make sense in context.

3rd Place: Name-Me-Not
I like the concept and the flavor of this class. It's fantastic, but it was unfortunately missing a real way to give a character of the class presence in a typical party, and the abilities themselves were rather confusing.

Honorable Mention: Memetic Witch
This was also a good class. I enjoyed reading it, and it was a flawless fit for the light side of the feeling of All Hallow's Eve. Its abilities were flavorful, but for some reason, it just didn't stand out as much as it could have.

dragonjek
2012-11-02, 01:01 AM
Hm... where I am, this is a bit after midnight, so I may not have made it in time, but,

1st Name-Me-Not. It is the only PrC here which truly, genuinely creeped me out. I just... wow. Very freaky and nightmare-laden.

2nd Macabre Mask Maker. I admit that the first part of the name sold me a bit (I love the Danse Macabre), but the flavor of it was really nifty, too. And it turned costumes into something really disturbing, which is always nice.

3rd Pumpkin King. I know it's bad form to vote for your own class, but I feel that it is the most Halloween-ish of the PrCs... although definitely not the most balanced or well-written.

ErrantX
2012-11-02, 11:52 AM
Tallied.

Voting ends tonight at midnight!

-X

Owrtho
2012-11-03, 12:25 AM
Not sure if this vote is in time given time zones. Anyway, I'll cast my vote for:

1: Name-Me-Not: Quite well done, and I really like the concept as a whole.
2: Deadman: Seems a good rendition of a series I rather like.
3: Faceless Terror: A nice and simple fear and stealth class. I rather like the flavour and facelessness as well.

Owrtho

SamFisher
2012-11-03, 01:32 AM
1: Deadman I love the bloody flavor to it. Vampire knights are awesome.
2: Pumpkin Warrior it feels so Halloween-y
3: Mythtaken this one made me laugh, it's a great take on the bard

ErrantX
2012-11-04, 12:11 PM
Seems we have a tie, having tallied everything up, the tie is between sirpercival's Mawkin and Amechra's Name-Me-Not. So, with the power invested in me by no one in particular in an entirely subjective way, it falls to me to cast the tie breaker.

After thinking about it through the morning, I have decided finally that...

...the Mawkin is the winner!

Both are rock solid classes that are fun, intriguing and overall freaky and well fitting to the contest's theme. I like both classes. However, being that the game is often about adventuring, I feel that the Mawkin is more likely to see play in a player's hands, where as the Name-Me-Not fits gorgeously in a city-based game or as a villainous monster that can chase the party anywhere. While I think both are fantastic and by no means is one mechanically or thematically superior to the other, the Mawkin just barely edges over by being something I would see in a player's hand more readily.

Honorable mention goes to hot on their heels 3rd place Deadman by Hyooz, which gets Errant's pick this contest. I love the idea of the vampiric blood knight, I found it quite enjoyable.

All in all, I really liked this contest and what you all came up with. Some wonderful classes here guys. Good job to all of you!

-X