PDA

View Full Version : Another build question from Cranthis

Cranthis
2012-10-23, 11:56 PM
Duskblade 3/ Wizard 3/ Ultimate magus x/ AbjChamp x.

Any good?

RFLS
2012-10-24, 12:01 AM
Maybe. Depends on the power level of the campaign. I can't say I would outright recommend the build, though. It loses BAB and full-casting levels.

Cranthis
2012-10-24, 12:04 AM
Maybe. Depends on the power level of the campaign. I can't say I would outright recommend the build, though. It loses BAB and full-casting levels.

True. But that's why I'm asking. Gathering opinions on the power of the build.

RFLS
2012-10-24, 12:11 AM
Ehh....if you insert Abj Champ sometime before levels 17-20, it'd probably be about T3 level of play. If you're looking for a large number of spells per day AND decent melee abilities, uhm....hmmmm.

This is weird. Are you set on dual arcane classes?

Cranthis
2012-10-24, 12:16 AM
Not necessarily. I would like to have my 3 levels of duskblade, for the channeling, but I don't have to have it. I also don't have to have ultimate magus, it would just be nice. But any recommendations are welcome.

RFLS
2012-10-24, 12:39 AM
Gonna say it before anyone else does, so that you can ignore it now- Ur-Priest + RKV cheese.

Hm...okay, here's the conclusion I've reached- you cannot get both 9th level spells and the Duskblade's channel ability WITHOUT fast caster progression cheese. Honestly, there's no really good way to make a good gish without some serious cheesing, but I can give it a go. I don't think you can get dual casting without screwing around, though.

Duskblade 5/Archivist 3/Mystic Theurge 10/Archivist 2. You get 8ths on one side and 4ths on the other, all keyed off of Intelligence. Your BAB sucks, but that's why you take Knowledge Devotion and focus on channeling good spells.

If Ur-Priest cheese is on the table, go Duskblade 5/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8/Abj Champ 5.

BCOVertigo
2012-10-24, 12:40 AM
Does the Smiting Spell metamagic feat actually let you make an attack with the weapon in place of the touch attack that is normally part of a touch range spell?

If so this and Easy Metamagic might obviate the need for Duskblade levels at all.

dextercorvia
2012-10-24, 12:43 AM
You won't be durable enough to get in close and land your channeled spells. Your wizard casting is gimped by the duskblade levels. You've probably sunk feats into keeping UM from further hurting your casting. With Duskblade spell progression, you won't get to take full advantage of the Ultimate Magus metamagic mitagation.

You'd have T1 potential because of 17 levels of wizard casting, but you would have 3 or more wasted levels in your build.

RFLS
2012-10-24, 12:48 AM
You won't be durable enough to get in close and land your channeled spells. Your wizard casting is gimped by the duskblade levels. You've probably sunk feats into keeping UM from further hurting your casting. With Duskblade spell progression, you won't get to take full advantage of the Ultimate Magus metamagic mitagation.

You'd have T1 potential because of 17 levels of wizard casting, but you would have 3 or more wasted levels in your build.

Oops. I sort of forgot about durability. Uhhhh...hm. Well, I'm going take this chance to tout my pet gish build and then I'm probably going to leave you alone =P How does Crusader 1/Sorcerer 2/ Crusader 1/Sorcerer 1/Runesmith 1/JPM 6/Deepstone Sentinel 4/JPM 4 sound to you? 9th level maneuvers and 5th level spells. I suppose you could swap out the Deepstone sentinel for Abj Champ or something similar.

HunterOfJello
2012-10-24, 01:27 AM
People usually use the prestige class, Legacy Champion, to fill out the end of builds like that one.It continues the progression of pretty much anything from every class possible. It's the ultimate in "+1 level of existing class features". It's kinda weird.

However, it can be used to continue double progressions past the 10th level in them.

You can find it in Weapons of Legacy.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-10-24, 05:11 AM
Duskblade 3/ Wizard 3/ Ultimate magus x/ AbjChamp x.

Any good?

In a word... no.

Duskblade casting stinks. Ultimate Magus is a complete waste.

If you are going to Gish it up, it is Duskblade2/Wizard3/Spellsword1/Abchamp4...

Blue Lantern
2012-10-24, 06:08 AM
The classical ultimate magus buld is something like wizard 3/sorcerer 1/ultimate magus 10/Sorcerer 1/some full casting class 4.
Get practised spellcaster for sorcerer and you end up with wizard 17 (21 CL) and Sorcerer 10 (14 CL).
You can use the sorcerer spell slots for metamagic and pick some good spells on that side that you can persist.

That said straight wizard/incantatrix is better for metamagic.