PDA

View Full Version : Houserule for BAB and Saves (opinions?)

gr8artist
2012-10-24, 07:59 AM
When calculating BAB and Save values for multiclass characters, you sometimes run into a little bit of trouble.
By the book, I believe you tally only the listed values for your different levels. (Resulting in a 3rd level Rog/Sor/Wiz with a BAB of +0 and Saves at +0/+2/+4)
Ideally, there would be an algebraic formula for the BAB...
0.5(P)+0.75(H)+G
P is the total number of levels in classes with a poor BAB.
H is the total number of levels in classes with the hybrid (3/4) BAB.
G is the total number of levels in classes with a good BAB.
You could even put that formula into a spreadsheet or a TI-83.

I can't figure out how to algebraically write the save formula, but the same principle remains:
P/3+G/2+(+2 if G>0, else +0)
where P is the total of all class levels with a poor progression for that save, and G is the total of all class levels with a good progression for that save.

Using these formulas, the hypothetical 3rd level Rog/Sor/Wiz has a BAB of +1 and Saves of +1/+3/+3

So my question, Playground, is this... "How do you calculate BAB and Saves for multiclass characters?"

Archmage1
2012-10-24, 08:47 AM
I believe the method is partial saves/BAB
Essentially, you have good saves, and bad saves.
Good saves start at 2, and add .5 per level. (monk style saves
Bad saves start at 0, and add .3 per level.
Good BAB starts at 0, and adds 1 per level
medium BAB starts at 0, and adds 2/3 per level.
bad starts at 0, and adds .5 per level.

Note that all here are starting at 0, so a levle 1 monk has 2.5 in all saves, but since the saves are rounded down, no worries.

This is often called partial saves/BAB, and it makes multiclassing more powerful.
If you are playing a rogue/wiz/sorc, you will need it, but if you are playing more optimally, it adds power to already powerful combinations.

rockdeworld
2012-10-24, 08:47 AM
The RAW way is to simply add the numbers on the charts at the level you're taking. The formula you're talking about is the almost the exact formula used in the Fractional BAB and Saves variant (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20060303a). The only thing you're missing is: round down to the nearest integer.

For saves, you can also rule that multiple +2 bonuses don't stack.
Example: A Cleric 3/Wizard 3/MT 1 normally has:
+3 BAB, +4 Fort, +2 Ref, +8 Will

Putting all the rules into practice, it would have:
1.5+2.25+.5 = +4 BAB
1+3.5+0.33 = +4 Fort
1+1+0.33 = +2 Ref
3.5+1.5+0.5 = +5 Will

Edit: Ninja'd!

And as for an opinion: I think it helps balance multiclassing out.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-24, 09:03 AM
This housrule is already an official variant presented in Unearted Arcana.

I've been using it pretty much from when I first started playing D&D.

danzibr
2012-10-24, 11:39 AM
It's already been said, but yeah, fractional BAB and saves. Especially good for gestalt.

Suddo
2012-10-24, 12:40 PM
If I ever play a game with people who are more into building their own characters then I would use fractional BABs. Though I'd keep current save system you get front loaded with saves so you really don't fall behind.

grarrrg
2012-10-24, 02:28 PM
It's already been said, but yeah, fractional BAB and saves. Especially good for gestalt.

Not just "good for gestalt" but pretty much mandatory.

Abusive Non-Fractional example:
Level 1, Wizard 1//Fighter 1
Level 2-to-20 Wizard +19//Sorcerer 19

You now have 20 Bab, because the Sorc gains it on the levels the Wizard doesn't. And you have 20th level Prepared Casting, and 19th level Spontaneous.

Feel free to use different classes, the point is that your _need_ to use Fractions in Gestalt.

ericgrau
2012-10-24, 02:35 PM
@^ That or you just say no, or instead of saying 0//1=1 you say poor BAB // poor BAB = poor BAB. Or most of the time people don't pull shenanigans.

Short answer to the main topic is that it's a very common and useful rule so feel free to do it. The only drawback is the extra math work for a limited improvement to the game.

eggs
2012-10-24, 02:41 PM
I've never played a game that didn't use this rule. It makes things less stupid.

Flickerdart
2012-10-24, 03:00 PM
Not just "good for gestalt" but pretty much mandatory.

Abusive Non-Fractional example:
Level 1, Wizard 1//Fighter 1
Level 2-to-20 Wizard +19//Sorcerer 19

You now have 20 Bab, because the Sorc gains it on the levels the Wizard doesn't. And you have 20th level Prepared Casting, and 19th level Spontaneous.

Feel free to use different classes, the point is that your _need_ to use Fractions in Gestalt.
Gestalt follows progressions, not a level by level basis, so that doesn't actually work.

Ashtagon
2012-10-24, 03:24 PM
I believe the method is partial saves/BAB
Essentially, you have good saves, and bad saves.
Good saves start at 2, and add .5 per level. (monk style saves
Bad saves start at 0, and add .3 per level.
Good BAB starts at 0, and adds 1 per level
medium BAB starts at 0, and adds 2/3 per level.
bad starts at 0, and adds .5 per level.

Note that all here are starting at 0, so a levle 1 monk has 2.5 in all saves, but since the saves are rounded down, no worries.

This is often called partial saves/BAB, and it makes multiclassing more powerful.
If you are playing a rogue/wiz/sorc, you will need it, but if you are playing more optimally, it adds power to already powerful combinations.

Pretty much this, except that medium BAB is actually +3/4 per level, not +2/3.

The Random NPC
2012-10-24, 03:44 PM
The RAW way is to simply add the numbers on the charts at the level you're taking. The formula you're talking about is the almost the exact formula used in the Fractional BAB and Saves variant (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20060303a). The only thing you're missing is: round down to the nearest integer.

For saves, you can also rule that multiple +2 bonuses don't stack.
Example: A Cleric 3/Wizard 3/MT 1 normally has:
+3 BAB, +4 Fort, +2 Ref, +8 Will

Putting all the rules into practice, it would have:
1.5+2.25+.5 = +4 BAB
1+3.5+0.33 = +4 Fort
1+1+0.33 = +2 Ref
3.5+1.5+0.5 = +5 Will

Edit: Ninja'd!

And as for an opinion: I think it helps balance multiclassing out.

FYI, the +2 to saves are explicitly said to stack, so a Monk 1/Wizard 1 has a 4 (5 for fractional saves) for Will.

It is:
Good save: (1/2*Level) +2 per good save granting class
Bad Save: 1/3*Level

Good BAB: 1*Level
Average BAB: 3/4*Level
Poor BAB: 1/2*Level