PDA

View Full Version : Concept Build Help (Ribbet)

2012-10-24, 11:23 AM
So, I'm working on a Druid build and this is what I have so far;

The character was originally human, and lived in a family of sorcerers(Heavy Fey or Draconic blood), though he himself had little or no sorcerer talent. He got into an argument with a cousin who, without thinking of the consequences, cast a PaO spell on him from a scroll, though she lacked the level to do it properly and the spell went haywire. Caught somewhere between toad and man, he found a connection to nature he didn't know before, and has since taken to creating his own menagerie.

Anthromorphic Toad(Savage Species, 215-17) Alignment varies as the build requires, the reason I chose toad over bat is purely thematic. I want this to be a good but possibly misunderstood character, and the bat is associated with evil, vampires, night, etc. I might consider switching for the fly speed though. However, one thing I love to think about with this character is that if he ever goes evil, he can cast Evil weather to create a rain of frogs.

Starting Stats will be rolled, but for this lets assume I use the Elite Array. That gives me:

Str...8...-4...=4
Con..12...+0...=12
Dex...10...-2...=8
Int...14...+0...=14
Wis...15...+6=21
Cha...13...-2=11

So My character is weak, physically slow, but has decent Mental Stats. Then we move to the possible builds:

Druid 20
Hard to go wrong here. Take a single flaw to qualify for VoP at first level, and use my first bonus feat on Nymph's kiss. I get full druid casting, full wildshape, a strong animal companion, and I'm hoping my DM will rule that any pets I might have aren't bothered by my VoP, and thus can be outfitted as I please, including magical items.

Nature's Master: Druid 4/WuJen3/Arcane Heirophant10/X3
My "Nature's Master" build loses six Wild Shape levels, Unless X progresses WS as well, and only casts spells as a Druid 14-17 WuJen 13-16. That means I'll have Druid 9th level spells at 20, but won't cast 9th level WuJen spells til epic levels. Early Entry tricks could save me some CLs. Again, VoP could work for this build.

Circus Master: This one is incredibly Unoptimized I believe, and could use some serious work but: Monk 2/Druid5/Bard2/Fochlucan Lyrist10/X1
This build means well, netting evasion from monk to benefit from the Wis bonus to AC. I might hafta switch Druid and Bard in the progression(in our game if you have skill on one classes list its never treated as a cc skill) for the skill prereqs, and I don't gain much in the way of casting. The idea was to use Bardic and Druidic spell casting to increase the strength of several animal companions gained with Handle Animal.

Anyway, as you can see I'm not the best class builder in the world. What I really want is a character that can buff his allies (both human and animal/magical beast) while remaining difficult to hit. If he had a musical theme that would be awesome XD The VoP is optional, but I kind of made a bet with my DM that I could build a strong character without relying so much on items, and VoP does just that, although I could be persuaded to try a different option if something could be found to boost my wisdom like VoP does. Especially as a Full Casterhaving all those bonus spells is really tempting. Our campaigns are low-mid op and we start low level, so any advice should be playable at any level. Campaigns are designed with Combat in mind, but reward creativity and versatility. I'm a fan of theurges, don't ask why, and that's why two of my above builds focus on theurgy, but it's not something I'm absolutely sworn to.

Short and Simple: I need ideas for a build that is playable at all levels that can benefit from VoP, uses Druid or similar, and gains several ways to buff and support animal minions, preferably with 9th level spells pre-epic. WS is optional.

On an side note, would a permanencied Speak With Animals be a good idea for this character? On another side note, what Druid companion of medium size or larger has the highest move speed? my Toad needs something to ride around the battle field on.

HunterColt22
2012-10-24, 03:09 PM
I feel like a book some where mentioned frog people of some type as a race. Maybe be a better place to start than with far less physical penalties. I know path finder has one, but that might not be what you are looking for.

PrismCat21
2012-10-24, 05:31 PM
The book that mentions frog people is 'Races of Faerun', Bullywig and Siv I believe.

Your Nature's Master build looks like fun :) Druid 20 would also work lol
Convince your DM to allow you a 'jump speed' and use that to move around. One hop per move action and only in a straight line. If you want a fly speed, you can get yourself a flying mount/animal companion, preferably of something that usually preys on frogs.

Alternatively - Go Tome of Battle route and take leadership feat to collect 3 more Anthromorphic frog warriors and call yourselves 'The Battle Toads'

Good Luck

2012-10-24, 06:42 PM
Turns out the were in Monsters of Faerun. I managed to find them with my google-fu.

While both have a decidedly froggy flavor(... ignore that) neither has the Wis bonus of the Anthro Frog, and Bullywugs actually have a penalty! Also, after finding this (http://community.wizards.com/rumbletiger/blog/?message=WW91ciBwb3N0IGhhcyBub3cgYmVlbiBzdWJtaXR0Z WQh) I'm thinking of ways to add unique creatures to my menagerie. So, I need classes/Feats that allow Handle Animal to affect Vermin, Abberations, Plants, etc with an Int of more than 2 (or at all in the case of Vermin). I know there is a feat in Drow of the Underdark, but it requires I be a drow... Anyone else have some advice to that end? Or perhaps there are ways to rebuke them without losing Druid levels... EDIT:Found a class that for a one level Dip gives me the ability to handle vermin, use vermin empathy, and shift into small vermin, with no CL loss, Vermin Keeper from Underdark

And finally, anyone have tips for other odd creatures and how to get them? I could(and might) take Leadership/Wild Cohort/Dragonic Cohort etc. if I'm not starved for feats. My main concern though is buffing them all up, particularly if my DM rules that my VoP means I can't by nice things for my pets (Also, I had the thought of making my Druidic grove a traveling circus XD)