PDA

View Full Version : Factorum Advancement

XmonkTad
2012-10-24, 05:00 PM
While attempting to build a Factorum/Ardent Dilettante (for flavor really) I ran into the problem of what happens to a Factorums spellcasting? Arcane Dilettante doesn't work like normal spellcasting, but "gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which she belonged before adding the prestige class" seems to indicate advancement.
I'm just not sure, thought I'd get a second opinion.

eggs
2012-10-24, 05:22 PM
Factotum isn't a spellcasting class and doesn't have a blurb allowing its advancement through spellcasting PrCs like the Warlock does. Factotum levels are pretty much the only things that advance it (or the really general "+1 level of existing class features" classes like Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster).

Totally unrelated, but factorum is probably the second most consistent spelling error beside rouge. I posit that it's a skillmonkey thing.

XmonkTad
2012-10-24, 05:52 PM
I guess that applies to inspiration points too then? :smallfrown:

Well, the character still has flavor, just won't be useful except for "See it again" abuse.
Strange about the spelling... It also means I've been saying it wrong this whole time too.

Wookie-ranger
2012-10-24, 06:43 PM
as said above. Th Factotum is not a spell casting class (even though it can cast spells, don't argue :smallwink:)

on a related not. As a DM i made an official, written house rule to name it Factorum. I really dislike the other spelling, it sounds choppy, 'barbaric' and unrefined.

Urpriest
2012-10-24, 06:57 PM
as said above. Th Factotum is not a spell casting class (even though it can cast spells, don't argue :smallwink:)

on a related not. As a DM i made an official, written house rule to name it Factorum. I really dislike the other spelling, it sounds choppy, 'barbaric' and unrefined.

Factotum is a real word, though. He's the guy who does everything. A Factorum would be...a guy who does torum? I guess?

Hirax
2012-10-24, 07:02 PM
It's not RAW at all, but it's not unreasonable at all to make factotum count as a spellcasting class for qualifying for prestige classes, though I wouldn't allow them to advance inspiration points, just spells per day and highest level spell. I've played a barbarian1/factotum10/swiftblade9 before.

Wookie-ranger
2012-10-24, 07:32 PM
Factotum is a real word, though. He's the guy who does everything. A Factorum would be...a guy who does torum? I guess?

yeah, so? I am not denying that it is a real word, just that i don't like it. Its the name for the class, it does not have to have been a word before the class nor have any other meaning.

To explain what I mean. The name Factotum sounds choppy; Factorum has a "roll" to it.
From a phonetic perspective Factotum sounds (may be only to me) like it should be pronounced Fact-tot-tum. The bold part sounds ... unpleasant to me. It creates a bridge that gaps the syllables and the -tot- makes it sound choppy to me. (emphasis 'to me')
While Factorum sounds more like Fac-to-rum. No bridges, smother flow.
This may not be the same for everyone. I am used to paying very close attention to how words sound and what impact the denotation has on people, so I am probably thinking WAY to much into this. :smallsmile:

Hirax
2012-10-24, 07:39 PM
You look like you're adding an extra T to me, and I can see how that would be awkward, but it also seems improper. I pronounce it fack-totum, like jack totem, but with a U in totem.

eggs
2012-10-24, 08:05 PM
"-totum," like "total," both in meaning and in pronunciation.

gorfnab
2012-10-24, 10:00 PM
The word Factotum derives from the Latin command (imperative construction) fac totum ("do/make everything").

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-10-25, 01:11 AM

Torum is a medieval settlement in The Netherlands that no longer exists. Being a factorum requires skill points in architecture and engineering, and various professions and crafts. Safe to say that the factotum is an excellent chassis to build a factorum!

The Dark Fiddler
2012-10-25, 05:18 AM
Strange about the spelling... It also means I've been saying it wrong this whole time too.

Same, until I realized it a few months ago. Same thing happened to me with Justiciar (Justicar is what I read).

prufock
2012-10-25, 07:33 AM
yeah, so? I am not denying that it is a real word, just that i don't like it.
Just curious, are you changing your pronunciation and spelling of the word just in the context of the D&D class, or are you changing it in your general usage as well?

How about leaving the spelling the same and pronouncing it with a Cockney accent using glottal stops? Facto'um :D

KillianHawkeye
2012-10-25, 07:45 AM
Just curious, are you changing your pronunciation and spelling of the word just in the context of the D&D class, or are you changing it in your general usage as well?

How about leaving the spelling the same and pronouncing it with a Cockney accent using glottal stops? Facto'um :D

Are you serious? Do you think the average person uses the word "factotum" on a general basis? I've never heard it outside the context of the D&D class.

"General usage" pffffffffft! Get real! :smallsigh:

Hirax
2012-10-25, 07:52 AM
Are you serious? Do you think the average person uses the word "factotum" on a general basis? I've never heard it outside the context of the D&D class.

"General usage" pffffffffft! Get real! :smallsigh:

I started using it, and have gotten others that don't play D&D to use it as well.

KillianHawkeye
2012-10-25, 07:54 AM
I started using it, and have gotten others that don't play D&D to use it as well.

Good for you? A single case does not imply general usage by the average populace.

Hirax
2012-10-25, 07:57 AM
I didn't mean to say it did. Just pointing out that it's not such a tongue twister that other people won't pick up use of the word, if it's introduced to them.

prufock
2012-10-25, 08:38 AM

Completely serious. It's a word in the English language, individual vocabulary notwithstanding. If it's in your vocabulary, you pronounce and spell it a certain way, even if you only use it twice in your life.

It's the name of a movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417658/) based on a novel (http://www.amazon.ca/Factotum-Charles-Bukowski/dp/0876852630), an art group (http://www.factotum.org.uk/main/about.html), and a song in one of the most famous operas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Barber_of_Seville) ever. You might not use it every day, but it isn't that obscure a word.

So to frame my question: would you say "let's watch Factotum" or "let's watch Factorum"?

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-10-25, 04:47 PM
Completely serious. It's a word in the English language, individual vocabulary notwithstanding. If it's in your vocabulary, you pronounce and spell it a certain way, even if you only use it twice in your life.

It's the name of a movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417658/) based on a novel (http://www.amazon.ca/Factotum-Charles-Bukowski/dp/0876852630), an art group (http://www.factotum.org.uk/main/about.html), and a song in one of the most famous operas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Barber_of_Seville) ever. You might not use it every day, but it isn't that obscure a word.

So to frame my question: would you say "let's watch Factotum" or "let's watch Factorum"?

:smallsmile:. Well, I myself must admit that I tend to pronounce it more in a 'Latin' way than in an English manner. That lies mostly in the 'a' and the 'u'. But that's a detail in this discussion. It becomes problematic when you give lectures on tree species and insist on pronouncing Pinus (Pine) in a 'Latin' fashion. It breaks the ice, yes, but some (mostly English speaking) people can not handle it very well :smallwink:.

Tvtyrant
2012-10-25, 04:56 PM
I know I am wrong, but I usually pronounce it "Fact-Totem" myself.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-10-25, 05:44 PM
Really, why do people put these extra t's in there? :smallsmile:

For me it is F**k-to-toom (continental European approach), or in 'proper' English Fac(k)-to-tum.