PDA

View Full Version : A Druid lost in the Sewers

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-10-24, 06:23 PM
So I have a private session to run tomorrow and I need help with what to throw at a level 5 Druid. An unavoidable schedule conflict means one of our party can't make it to the regular meeting Friday, but since I was going to split them up anyway I figured this was as good a way as any for him to play.

A little background, my player (let's call him Ben) is playing a Druid from one of the homebrewed Human races in my campaign (basically Gauls with Darkvision and AC bonuses when wearing no armor) working alongside the other party members as assassins in a sprawling city. He's mostly acted as a back-up spellcaster and skillmonkey to the Sorcerer and Bard, and has built up a huge supply of Alchemist Fire which he uses liberally in combat, especially when he shouldn't. Despite this, he's basically almost the second-in-command of the party, usually acts as the voice of reason (and paranoia as he saw some of the nastier things I've thrown at the party coming) and he and his pet monky's run/jump/climb skills have saved the day more than once. Ben is a shrewd and discerning player, and his character reflects this.

The party ended last session getting hammered on "scrumpy" at the Elf Mob's bar (they'd basically just taken on an army and lived), so this session, they will all wake up in weird places around the city and have a "breather" session as they go around figuring out what hijinks their drunken characters got up to that they don't remember. Most will not have their gear or cash when they awaken, but Ben will only be missing his Alchemist Fire (he actually told me he left it behind after he set fire to the entire Docks). He also has a Ghost Paladin bound to his service (ala Jerk Genie) who can back him up if things get hairy, though the Paladin is about 4th level now.

My problem then is this: What sort of things can I have him do in the Sewers? He hates the sewers due to getting a disease last time he went down there, and the party has tangled with undead there before. My main idea is to have a Minotaur (just big enough to make him realize he's supposed to run) chase him through the catacombs of the city like an obstacle course, and maybe find his way to the Bard-turned-Necromancer the party's tried to catch for a while now, and have that turn into an RP bit. Beyond that, I need ideas for things for him to do/get past on his way to find a way out of the sewer.

Any encounter suggestions? I don't need specific monsters as this is mostly a non-monster game, and thinking outside of 3.5 specifics is also good.

docnessuno
2012-10-24, 06:42 PM
Sorry, i know you stated that you don't need specific monsters suggestion, but i could't really pass this up:

Otyugh(s)!

Also, getting diseased again (this time by one or more large bloated bodies sprouting long tentacles) could lend to nice RP opportunities (developing a sacred fear of sewers or a zealous hate for aberrations).

You could even use them as recurring threats with could pop up from time to time to haunt the poor druid's adventures till he's well in the mid levels.

Otyughs, Neo-Otyughs, Lifeleech Otyugh, Gulguthydras!

2012-10-24, 07:07 PM
I'm not 100% on how sewers work in medieval settings, but maybe you could have there be heavy rains? If they work how I think, a constant heavy rain would cause the sewer environment to slowly get more treacherous, with the water rising and the current speeding up. Maybe have some of the pipes get backed up to speed up the process. I know I wouldn't want to be stuck in a sewer with the water rising XD

Amnestic
2012-10-24, 07:40 PM
Cityscape had something about Magic Pollution. People entering the area have to make a save or fall victim to a random magic effect (some of which are beneficial, like Haste). Could be worth considering.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-10-24, 07:43 PM
Otyugh(s)!

Also, getting diseased again (this time by one or more large bloated bodies sprouting long tentacles) could lend to nice RP opportunities (developing a sacred fear of sewers or a zealous hate for aberrations).

You could even use them as recurring threats with could pop up from time to time to haunt the poor druid's adventures till he's well in the mid levels.

Otyughs, Neo-Otyughs, Lifeleech Otyugh, Gulguthydras!

I like! I usually go with the "Spoony Rules" for disease acquisition (read: cruelly realistic), but a disease-spewing monster sounds good. Since this is an E6 game, there won't be more levels ups after the next one, but the Otyugh could show up more than once.

I'm not 100% on how sewers work in medieval settings, but maybe you could have there be heavy rains? If they work how I think, a constant heavy rain would cause the sewer environment to slowly get more treacherous, with the water rising and the current speeding up. Maybe have some of the pipes get backed up to speed up the process. I know I wouldn't want to be stuck in a sewer with the water rising XD

It's actually a Roman Sewer System, so it's a bit roomier than normal. And during the last time down there the Party had to deal with rising sewage tides. I'll keep it in mind.

Please keep it coming!

nedz
2012-10-24, 08:25 PM
You could do the usual sewer things such as making him walk under a broken, leaking, inflow pipe. Or balance over an improvised bridge.

JimboG
2012-10-24, 10:43 PM
I would suggest putting him through obstacles that require uses of his abilities and spells while he is being chased. One suggestion is to have him run into a sewer grate with holes only big enough for a small creature to fit through, which will force the player to quickly think of an appropriate animal to change into while still being fast enough to run away.

Another suggestion is to put him in a situation where he has to spend a couple spell slots on Summon Ally to use as diversions so he can escape while being chased. This will also have the added effect of making your player feel empathy towards the animals he's sacrificing to save himself, especially if he's good-aligned.

Overall, make him use his character resources efficiently and with careful thought. I find it very exciting to be in a situation where you have to carefully manage limited resources to survive.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-10-24, 11:00 PM
I would suggest putting him through obstacles that require uses of his abilities and spells while he is being chased. One suggestion is to have him run into a sewer grate with holes only big enough for a small creature to fit through, which will force the player to quickly think of an appropriate animal to change into while still being fast enough to run away.

I completely forgot he's about to get Wild Shape. Well, not completely. Just enough to where someone had to remind me :smallsmile:. I think he'll come to a fall, where the water flows downward into another set of underwater tunnels. He can turn into something that swims, or into something that flies to get around the pit, or something else. I'm sure he'll surprise me.

Another suggestion is to put him in a situation where he has to spend a couple spell slots on Summon Ally to use as diversions so he can escape while being chased. This will also have the added effect of making your player feel empathy towards the animals he's sacrificing to save himself, especially if he's good-aligned.

He usually doesn't use this spell, so now might be a good time. I like the idea of making him feel bad about it too (he's almost the most guilt-ridden of the party for their deeds). Of course, I doubt an assassin-druid is going to be good-aligned, but the empathy card isn't ruled out.

Overall, make him use his character resources efficiently and with careful thought. I find it very exciting to be in a situation where you have to carefully manage limited resources to survive.

I tend to get praised for having merciless skill challenges like racing against a clock or through a tricky path. The second session had Ben's monkey race an angry mob, and the one thereafter opened with Ben chasing a pickpocket halfway across the city before...setting the other half on fire. This one'll definitely tax him something fierce, don't you worry about that.

I hope we can get a few more ideas going before the night's through. Is there a really low challenge leveled creature that breathes fire? Mixing that up in a gas-filled sewer sounds like fun (and a little comeuppance for the Druid's rampant pyromania).