PDA

View Full Version : Psion//Psychic Warrior Build Help/Advice (3.P)

rollforeigninit
2012-10-24, 06:41 PM
For an upcoming game I decided on a Elan Psychic Warrior/Psion build.
We're starting at level 1. However, in the interests of thoroughness, I want to get the build fleshed out to lvl 20. The General Idea is that this guy is the latest incarnation of an elite (SECRET!!!) bodyguard that protects the nobility of our empire. However, this noble Scion has been raised out in the sticks as a final backup just in case the worst happens to the ruling family. (She doesn't know she's noble as of the start of the campaign.)

Stats are outlandishly good. My 10 year old(her 1st campaign!) rolled the stats. (Everyone rolls stats in the campaign and any rolled set is legal to use.)
18, 18, 17, 17, 16, 14 (pre racial bonus, even!!!)

So, We are using DSP's Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior) and Psion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psion) for the base classes. (I know that Ardent would be less MAD but I like more/better power selection & I'm not hurting for Stat points.)

So the issues to be addressed are...
1. Which Psiwar path to take. Current options that seem to make sense are Assassin, Ascetic, Infiltrator and Weapon Master (not adverse to other options, either)

2. Which Psion Discipline to take. Currently liking Seer (see em coming), Telepath (Read their minds to seem em coming), Kineticist (Good at escaping), and Generalist (Bonus FEATS!!! (That may be helpful with a PrC entry.)

3. Should I take War Mind (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/war-mind)? Better BAB, no loss of manifesting, Better Reflex Save, Ultimate Auto-Cleave (Sweeping Strike). Less Feats though & no sexy secondary Path or Pathweaving.

4. Also thinking of taking Meditant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224909) from 3.5. (Props to Psyren for making an awesome guide!!!) The benifits of Psychic Meditation seem to work really well with the Elan Race as a whole and also allow temp PP's to do duty as save boosters, temp Hp's & PP's. In addition I only need 4 hours of rest a might which frees up some time for the needed Meditation. I do lose 1 manifester leve but I can probably wrangle a ruling that Magical Knack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-knack) can be re-flavored as psionic saving a bit of the headache.

Obviously, I can't take both Prc's at once but this campaign is supposed to head to level 35 or so so there should be ample room to add more to it.

Where should I head with the feats? I haven't ran a psionic character since 3.0 (DM'd through 3.5 and the only other Psi-Nut in our group moved). Obviously, if I go for Meditant, the 1st few levels are spent getting Psychic Meditation and Deep Psychic Meditation (x3) but after that, I'm kicking around going with a 2 handed weapon or maybe even polearm and then a tripper build or maybe Stand Still. Apparently Deep Impact got a nerf, is it still worth it? I do want to go with (at least mostly) manufactured weapons. What Psionic/metapsionic feats should i take? Assume any and all sources are on the table but no necessarily approved.

Psyren
2012-10-24, 08:57 PM
You're very welcome for the Meditant guide.

Questions:

- I assume this is for a gestalt game? Is your DM enforcing the rule that you can't take two PrCs at the same level? (e.g. at ECL 6, you can do Psion 6//Psywar 6, or Psion 5/Mediant 1//Psywar 6, or Psion 6//Psywar 5/War Mind 1, but not Psion 5/Meditant 1//Psywar 5/War Mind 1.) Because if so, you may want to stick with just one PrC at a time so you can finish them more quickly.

- Also determine if your DM allows bonus feats from both base classes that fall on the same level to stack. For example, both the Psion and Psywar get a bonus feat at 1st-level, so find out if that means you start with 2 feats or 3 (in addition to Psionic Talent.)

- For general advice, have you read the excellent Psychic Warrior Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1542.0) (zugschef) and Psion Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10238.0) (Saeomon)? Both are 3.5, but very little has changed in the core powers/feats/items, save for Metamorphosis.

- Do you have access to Psionics Expanded as well, or just Psionics Unleashed? (There is a psionic version of Magical Knack in this book as well.)

- The discipline/path to take depends on what you feel like doing. It seems you want to be a gish, but you still have to pick a playstyle - in-your-face frontliner, sneaky flanker, mobile skirmisher, ranged attacker, combination ranged and melee etc.

- For a Psywar, PF War Mind is really, really good - so good that I recommend most Psywars have a very good reason not to take it. 10/10 BAB and casting PrCs are almost unheard of in PF, and you get powerful class features on top of that. But if you do want to stick with Psywar longer and get more feats, War Mind 5 is a good breakpoint.

- Always take the PP as your favored class bonus.

rollforeigninit
2012-10-25, 12:35 PM
After a conference with the DM, I have learned t hat my wife is quite liberal with what she will allow. The game is gestalt but we can progress both PRC's at the same time. Bonus feats stack with eachother. I even can get bonus Power Points from both manifesting classes. I believe I want to go Psigish but I want to be able to do a smattering of other tasks as needed. Thus should include sneaking tankng and healing. I am supposed to be a "My life before hers" kind of character. Should I run both PRc's at once? Ths isn't a hugely Hi-op campaign but this guy is the party's failsafe. Thus the generalizing.I should get Psionics expanded but am tempted to wait for Ultimate Psi.

I am thinking kind if a lockdown build that will give her a chance to nuke stuff. Shes a Sorc. Mailman style.

silverwolfer
2012-10-25, 03:09 PM
you had a conference..with your wife?

Let us just now congratulate you in finding a wife, who both understands D&D, plays D&D, but also DM's D&D. I think this thread no longer matters, as you have accomplished what million of d&d players struggle to do daily . Find a wife that lets them do something, but also participate in it, to a positive way.

Psyren
2012-10-25, 03:31 PM
Both handbooks can help you with a lockdown build - Psion through battlefield control, Psywar through more combat-style lockdown (e.g. tripping and grappling.)

I'm updating my PF Psionics guide but don't really have more specific advice to give; what you want is still broad enough that the handbooks address it better than I could.

rollforeigninit
2012-10-25, 03:39 PM
Both handbooks can help you with a lockdown build - Psion through battlefield control, Psywar through more combat-style lockdown (e.g. tripping and grappling.)

I'm updating my PF Psionics guide but don't really have more specific advice to give; what you want is still broad enough that the handbooks address it better than I could.

Okay. Will do. Thanks Silver. Im lucky indeed. In addition, my kids dont think Im weird for playing.

Rubik
2012-10-25, 05:44 PM
Note that between its mobile walls (Astral Constructs), immobile walls (Wall of Ectoplasm), instant pools of poison (Linked Power + Psionic Minor Creation), time traps (enveloping pit + Quintessence, Time Hop) and so on, shapers make awesome BFC characters, and they can do utility and offense well too.

Look into the 3.5 Constructor from The Mind's Eye online articles for more fun all around.

rollforeigninit
2012-10-25, 05:56 PM
Note that between its mobile walls (Astral Constructs), immobile walls (Wall of Ectoplasm), instant pools of poison (Linked Power + Psionic Minor Creation), time traps (enveloping pit + Quintessence, Time Hop) and so on, shapers make awesome BFC characters, and they can do utility and offense well too.

Look into the 3.5 Constructor from The Mind's Eye online articles for more fun all around.

I believe that the minor creation is nerfed in PF but I will look. I do like their lack of reliance on energy powers.

Psyren
2012-10-25, 11:36 PM
You can still make poison with Ectoplasmic Creation, you simply need a Craft check. (Likely Alchemy.) Since these are even easier to make in PF, it shouldn't be a problem.