PDA

View Full Version : Constitution-damage based class?

qazzquimby
2012-10-25, 12:15 AM
I was hoping to optimize the lifedrinker class with a class or build focusing on constitution damage, so I can keep the blood point total full without neck sucking breaks. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything where constitution damage is anything more than a little side affect. Even a homebrew. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks a lot for the ideas! From what I've seen my best bet is to try wounding daggers and try to get in as many hits as possible. I'm interested to know if the wounding daggers could be poisoned, to throw even more con damage on there.

Also, less important, but it would be even better if this optimization is magic based somehow, since that would combine very nicely with the lifedrinker class this is all working for. Thanks so much for the help!

Malroth
2012-10-25, 12:17 AM
Psionic minor creation combined with craft poison

sleepyphoenixx
2012-10-25, 04:57 AM
Longtooth Shifters get 1 CON damage (no save) on their bite attack while shifting with the Longtooth Elite feat.

Druids with Dragon Wild Shape (Draconomicon) get up to 5 CON damage (fort) as a breath weapon when in Steel Dragon form.

There are probably more, but those came to mind.

Rejakor
2012-10-25, 05:37 AM
Wounding weapons with some sort of lightning mace flurry mass of attacks crap?

Various poisons?

Some spells do con damage?

HunterOfJello
2012-10-25, 05:39 AM
Savage Species Mummy progression. Walk around giving people Mummy Rot disease for Con Damage.

Slipperychicken
2012-10-25, 08:43 AM
The Factotum's Cunning Insight can let you add your Int mod to any damage roll. This includes ability damage. This can get pretty crazy if you're Int-based.

GreenSerpent
2012-10-25, 10:43 AM
If you're open to homebrew material, the Ozodrin on these forums is mostly bazed around CON damage, grappling and other similar things. Essentially you're a Cthuloid aberration.

It's also pretty balanced power-wise!

Ketiara
2012-10-25, 10:52 AM
Longtooth Shifters get 1 CON damage (no save) on their bite attack while shifting with the Longtooth Elite feat.

Druids with Dragon Wild Shape (Draconomicon) get up to 5 CON damage (fort) as a breath weapon when in Steel Dragon form.

There are probably more, but those came to mind.

What book contains steeldragon? Can only find it online.

HunterColt22
2012-10-25, 10:53 AM
There is the ambush feat in complete scoundrel, need sneak attack to do this, and there are two maneuvers in the tome of battle that give con damage flat, only thing that changes is the amount if they make the save or not, full if they dont, half if they do. Still 2 con at minimum and, (at worst) every other round, against a high hp creature can and will hurt considering with the maneuvers you also still deal any normal/special damage on top of it. My rogue tends to like those when he lands a sneak attack on someone.

Talionis
2012-10-25, 10:55 AM
There are several maneuvers in the Tome of Battle that do Constitution Damage. They are in several different disciplines and could lend themselves to attack chains where a Crusader could attack with a different one every round. Those maneuvers could easily be gained with a dip(s) and fighter feats.

I will also suggest Duskblade's Channelling Poison Touch spells with a different poison on the weapon.

Poison works best when the enemy is forced to make multiple saves. So things like Totemist with multiple attacks are good if you can add poison to each.

Der_DWSage
2012-10-25, 12:49 PM
Halfling Fighter/Master Thrower with Skipping Stones of Wounding. I forget the exact rules with the skipping stones, but I believe they could also hit a second target at a -3 penalty for every shot.

Expensive, but you'd be amazed at how quickly you take down Goliath when you throw 10 rocks of Wounding per round. (...Was it ten? I think it was ten at level 11. I'll let someone else do the math, as I'm far too lazy.)

sleepyphoenixx
2012-10-25, 01:11 PM
What book contains steeldragon? Can only find it online.

Steel Dragon is in Dragons of Faerun (140), along with Mercury and Mist Dragons (two other useful forms for DWS :smallbiggrin:).

VGLordR2
2012-10-25, 01:19 PM
A less well-known option is the Eidolon, from Ghostwalk. If you choose to take your feats from the Path of the Corrupter, you can do some good ability damage. With the right feats, you can deal 1d4+2 ability damage or drain with a touch attack.

qazzquimby
2012-10-25, 07:45 PM
Bump because I changed the question, and I don't think edits bump.

Wyntonian
2012-10-25, 07:54 PM
Get the feat Hidden Talent, on this page.
(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a)

Use it to emulate this power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/minorCreationPsionic.htm).

Make poison, detailed here. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0)

Put it on your wounding shanks, go to town like a clown.

Oh, for fun, be a warforged totemist, taking the insane meatgrinder route, and put poison on all your countless natural weapons. You'll be immune to it, and have tons of chances to apply it.

Cog
2012-10-25, 11:36 PM
You may want to take another look at Lifewell's requirements; it takes Con drain to activate, not merely damage. Most or all of the things suggested in this thread don't meet that requirement.

qazzquimby
2012-10-25, 11:43 PM
You're right.. That severely diminishes my excitement.
Does that essentially mean the only way to optimize the lifedrinker is with the souleater? I'd really rather not have a tentacly abberant vampire.

Cog
2012-10-26, 12:40 AM
You're right.. That severely diminishes my excitement.
Does that essentially mean the only way to optimize the lifedrinker is with the souleater? I'd really rather not have a tentacly abberant vampire.
I'd have put it in my last post if I hadn't remembered it just now, but in Libris Mortis, there's the Necrotic Focus weapon ability (+3 equivalent). You can channel a pre-existing drain ability through it. More expensive than the Wounding option, so you'll probably want effects like Haste and maybe Spinning Halberd or Whirling Frenzy that give you extra attacks with a single weapon.

Rejakor
2012-10-26, 01:33 AM
Wightblade. From Dragon Compendium.

You can channel drain abilities through weapon attacks.

It is a feat. But, it doesn't work for con-drain because that requires pinning etc, it will only work for the negative levels.