PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Update for Diamond Warrior Prc?

silverwolfer
2012-10-25, 01:23 AM
I know their probably is not a update official

but 3.0 changed slightly when 3.5 came over the major flaws for the PRC now is that

A. Inertial Armor is a power now, not a feat
B. Feats benefiting it

I think that is only thing that needs to be updated from the source?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20020927b

Would be making the power into a permant ability fix it ?

mattie_p
2012-10-25, 06:09 AM
Yeah, Inertial Armor and Speed of Thought stacking are basically it.

You could count inertial armor as a reserve feat, as well as Improved Inertial armor. It won't break anything. Then allow Speed of Thought to stack, even though the feat normally doesn't allow it.

KillianHawkeye
2012-10-25, 07:41 AM
Considering the overall massive changes to the psionics sub-system during the changeover from 3E to 3.5, I wouldn't be inclined to try using any old material in an updated game.

If you're looking for a Monk/Psychic Warrior hybrid class, I suggest the Fist of Zuoken from the Expanded Psionics Handbook or the Zerth Cenobite from Complete Psionic.

Psyren
2012-10-25, 08:47 AM
There's a lot here that needs conversion, but ultimately I think it's worth it since this advances psywar rather than having its own (weak) progression like FoZ/PF and ZC do. This would make it a viable choice in games that disallow Eberron material (and therefore Tashalatora.)

I suggest the following changes:

- Reqs: Replace Inertial Armor with Psionic Body. Replace Psychic Charge with Psionic Charge.

- Remove Psionic Combat entry.

- Remove 0-level powers entry.

- Armor Restriction: Class features no longer function at all in armor. However, levels stack with monk levels for AC bonus.

- Unarmed Attacks: As monk, and stacks 10/10 with any existing monk levels. Also advances Flurry 10/10.

- Manifesting: 8/10 instead of 7/10 (give them back level 9.)

- Crystal Mask: I would change this entirely - instead of giving them an actual crystal mask, let them form a mask out of ectoplasm that mimics a real mask in appearance and ability, but has no sell value. If removed from their person or destroyed, the mask dissipates into ectoplasm and evaporates, but they can reform it again as a full-round action that provokes.
-- The mask of Deception is unchanged; have the Mask of Doubt manifest the Demoralize power on any attackers.
-- Replace the mask of Darkvision with Insightful Detection.
-- Replace Shifting with Visual Insight (CPsi.)

- Replace Improved Inertial Armor with Greater Psionic Fist (without needing the prereqs.)

- Teleport: Add this to his powers known instead of making it a 1/day PLA. That way he can use it multiple times, but must spend PP to do so.

silverwolfer
2012-10-25, 12:40 PM
Interesting, So PsyRen,

----> Greater Overall Progression for Damage

----> Trade 4 AC for an extra 2d6 damage

---->Psionic Combat Entry????

-----> An extra caster level, as PSI warrior no longer has level 0 spells

Psyren
2012-10-25, 12:59 PM
Interesting, So PsyRen,

----> Greater Overall Progression for Damage

----> Trade 4 AC for an extra 2d6 damage

---->Psionic Combat Entry????

-----> An extra caster level, as PSI warrior no longer has level 0 spells

1) It's simpler to just have them follow the monk unarmed progression, and it doesn't break anything. That wording seemed like some 3.0 holdover.

2) Not sure what you mean by trading 4 AC. Inertial Armor is a power now, so you can manifest it just fine if you want it, without breaking your monk vows or losing your monk AC bonus.

3) Psionic Combat modes didn't make it to 3.5, unless you use Hyperconscious - in which case, you would simply use the Psywar progression there.

4) The extra CL was because you're already losing at least one, possibly even 2 CL thanks to dipping Monk. So there's no reason for the PrC to demand 3 more from you. 4 is as much as you can lose before giving up 6ths.

silverwolfer
2012-10-25, 01:08 PM
Diamond Warrior was designed as a Psywar PRC to be a monk like behavior, so no strong reasons to dip into a monk so to speak.

What I mean by +ac is that Improved inertial armor, shows up 3 times, granting you a +6 ac bonus on top of the power but giving the prc Monk AC progression. Which gives them I think +2 Ac by end of level 10 progression, + an extra 4d6 damage for unarmed attacked that expend a focus.

So it is more PsyWar going Monk , then it is Monk gaining PSyWar powers.

Psyren
2012-10-25, 01:22 PM
Diamond Warrior was designed as a Psywar PRC to be a monk like behavior, so no strong reasons to dip into a monk so to speak.

It advances monk unarmed damage progression and requires IUS. Clearly a monk multiclass was intended, so my recommendations were aligned around strengthening that connection.

What I mean by +ac is that Improved inertial armor, shows up 3 times, granting you a +6 ac bonus on top of the power but giving the prc Monk AC progression. Which gives them I think +2 Ac by end of level 10 progression, + an extra 4d6 damage for unarmed attacked that expend a focus.

That feat doesn't exist in 3.5 though, and the power can be augmented already.

So it is more PsyWar going Monk , then it is Monk gaining PSyWar powers.

I view it more like a psionic version of Sacred/Enlightened Fist. The current monk/psionics PrCs (like FoZ and ZC) are more like Assassin than true hybrids.

silverwolfer
2012-10-25, 01:45 PM
Hmm so a sort of martial thurge, between psywar and monk abilities?

Hmm I agree on that partially, maybe a small thought on this , is to instead think of making the Level one ability as a turn on /turn off ability, that only requires yourself to be focused to be manifested. Make the person choose between defense and then converting it into extra damage but losing it.