PDA

View Full Version : Class Level Requirements

Ammutseba
2012-10-25, 01:58 AM
What are the requirements for things in D&D (3.5 edition) to take class levels? To start with, I'm assuming that something needs to be a creature, but beyond this, I am not actually certain. Could someone please provide clarity on this for me?

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-25, 02:06 AM
Well, most importantly, you need to be sentient, so at least 3 Int. Beyond that, your monster entry must say "Advances by Class" or something like that. Beyond that, not much else. There are a few exceptions to the "Advances by Class" bit. Dragons are one. Pretty sure a number of outsiders can take class levels despite their advancement section.

Maryring
2012-10-25, 02:13 AM
It doesn't have to say "Advances by class level" for something to be able to take class levels. What it has to be able to do is undergo training to improve itself. Anything with a mind that functions above the instinctual can do so. Almost all outsiders and dragons as said, but also magical beasts like Unicorns can advance through class levels.

HunterOfJello
2012-10-25, 02:20 AM
It has to be a creature. Everything in D&D is either a creature or an object.

It generally has to have at least 3 intelligence. That's both the minimum dice roll of a 3d6 and what differentiates a magical beast from an animal. This was brought up in another thread and may not be an explicit requirement anywhere, but is mentioned in Savage Species.

Most things can take class levels unless they explicity advance only by hit die, like True Dragons.

TuggyNE
2012-10-25, 02:27 AM
My reading of the rules, as outlined in a recent thread on this subject, is that anything with Int 3 or better can take class levels, although monsters with RHD advancement in their stat blocks are (much) more likely to simply use that.

Edit:

Most things can take class levels unless they explicity advance only by hit die, like True Dragons.

I'm a little confused; are you saying that true dragons explicitly cannot take class levels, or that they're an example of something that presumably can?

Cranthis
2012-10-25, 02:37 AM
Anything with 3+ intelligence.

Our dm actually put in a unicorn with fighter levels recently, for example.

HunterOfJello
2012-10-25, 02:56 AM
I'm a little confused; are you saying that true dragons explicitly cannot take class levels, or that they're an example of something that presumably can?

I remember reading that True Dragons have to advance by age and racial hit die instead of taking classes. I don't remember if its in the Dracoonomicon or from Dragon Magic. Then again, there are Prestige Clases for Dragons in the Draconomicon, so I'm not completely sure.

There were discussions a while back about whether the Dragonwrought Kobold should be forced to do this because it had a full series of age categories spelt out in one book (more than the normal Adult to Venerable range).

TypoNinja
2012-10-25, 03:00 AM

They explicitly can, the Draconmicon gives an example of a Gold Dragon with Paladin levels, as well as a blurb that specifics that sorcerer levels stack with dragons natural spellcasting abilities.

Curmudgeon
2012-10-25, 03:11 AM
Also note that if you want the character to be playable (i.e., a PC) it has to have a level adjustment number in the creature description. No entry, or a "—" for the LA, means it's simply not suitable to use. A DM might have such a creature as an NPC, but it's supposed to be off-limits for players because the game authors just couldn't figure out a way for that sort of creature to function in a group of PCs.

KillianHawkeye
2012-10-25, 07:53 AM
I remember reading that True Dragons have to advance by age and racial hit die instead of taking classes. I don't remember if its in the Dracoonomicon or from Dragon Magic. Then again, there are Prestige Clases for Dragons in the Draconomicon, so I'm not completely sure.

You are incorrect, sir.

Ammutseba
2012-10-25, 06:21 PM
Are there any other requirements to taking class levels? Any.

If there are not, then which things are exceptions to this rule? That is, what things in the game cannot take class levels?

Relatedly, what are the requirements for taking templates?

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-25, 06:45 PM
Well anything with Int of 2, 1, or nonability Int can't take class levels. Templates depends on the template. Which one do you have in mind and to what race?

TypoNinja
2012-10-25, 07:20 PM
Are there any other requirements to taking class levels? Any.

If there are not, then which things are exceptions to this rule? That is, what things in the game cannot take class levels?

Relatedly, what are the requirements for taking templates?

Pretty much, if a PC can play one (so int 3 or higher for the most part) it can take class levels. Obviously that's an over simplification, but a good rule of thumb.

As for templates, the template itself will say what it can be applied to "any humanoid" is probably the most common.

Templates also come in two major flavors, Acquired and Inherited.

Inhereited Templates must be taken as part of character creation as it is something that the nature of the creature. Like A half Dragon, one of your parents was a dragon, you were born that way.

Acquired templates can be taken after character creation and represent something gained on inflicted upon you, Lycanthropy for example may be acquired.

Ammutseba
2012-10-25, 07:30 PM
Well anything with Int of 2, 1, or nonability Int can't take class levels. Templates depends on the template. Which one do you have in mind and to what race?

I don't have a class in mind, nor do I have a race. I'm currently collecting raw data for compilation.

Pretty much, if a PC can play one (so int 3 or higher for the most part) it can take class levels. Obviously that's an over simplification, but a good rule of thumb.

As for templates, the template itself will say what it can be applied to "any humanoid" is probably the most common.

Templates also come in two major flavors, Acquired and Inherited.

Inhereited Templates must be taken as part of character creation as it is something that the nature of the creature. Like A half Dragon, one of your parents was a dragon, you were born that way.

Acquired templates can be taken after character creation and represent something gained on inflicted upon you, Lycanthropy for example may be acquired.

Are there creatures or objects which are exceptions to these rules?

TypoNinja
2012-10-26, 01:41 AM
I don't have a class in mind, nor do I have a race. I'm currently collecting raw data for compilation.

Are there creatures or objects which are exceptions to these rules?

Off the top of my head? There's a couple of prestige classes that transform you, and an artifact here and there that can apply templates, but typically no exceptions.

Anything that is an exception is rare enough that it calls it self out as being an exception to said rule, or is an artifact. Artifacts can pretty much do whatever.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-26, 10:14 AM
Well if your looking at raw data compilation, you should probably look at it this way. Templates all have individual specific requirements on whom it can be applied. I'd make giant lists of these various requirements and put all templates that have each requirement in that list (even if it has more requirements).

So you would have a list for "Incorporal" and "Corporal". Lists for pretty much every type, as I'm sure there are at least one template that specifies each type. Living, a lot of different subtypes. And then you have your overarching categories for Applied vs. Inherited. I would probably just stick everything into their subcategories, then color code or mark them to differentiate between applied and inherited.