PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Falling Slower than 60 Feet/Round

babus
2012-10-25, 04:32 AM
I know it's a weird thought, but I'm looking to fall slower than even Feather Fall allows. The only ways I know of maybe doing this would be by being a monk (with a wall nearby) or falling through solid fog, and even then, that requires a bit of interpretation, as they effect damage as a result of being slowed, rather than giving a specific speed.

TuggyNE
2012-10-25, 04:44 AM
Try levitate?

babus
2012-10-25, 04:53 AM
A good option, but it's more a sort of flying than a slowing.

To clarify, my goal is to increase the time it takes to fall from point a to point b without using any effect that outright stops you or moves you higher.

Darrin
2012-10-25, 05:34 AM
Hmm. I was going to say, you need a glide speed, but from what I can tell, that doesn't slow your fall speed, it just lets you move horizontally as you move down.

Drogue Wing, maybe? Races of Faerun p. 159. After a 20' drop, it spreads out automatically. After another 20', it "arrests the wearer's fall", but it doesn't really specify a speed after that.

babus
2012-10-25, 06:01 AM
Hmm. I was going to say, you need a glide speed, but from what I can tell, that doesn't slow your fall speed, it just lets you move horizontally as you move down.

Drogue Wing, maybe? Races of Faerun p. 159. After a 20' drop, it spreads out automatically. After another 20', it "arrests the wearer's fall", but it doesn't really specify a speed after that.

Yeah, I had considered the gliding thing, and even found, oddly enough, that there were a number of homebrew Glide abilities that had a 20 foot falling rate, but nothing official as far as I can tell.

And thank you for posting the parachute thing. Not quite right, as you said it doesn't specify the actual falling rate, but it could be ruled by a DM as decreasing it further if you have feather fall already on, and it's better than needing a wall.

danzibr
2012-10-25, 07:24 AM
Well, you already mentioned it but Solid Fog is definitely what I thought of. The falling rules are only for distance, right? But with normal gravity we can get speed from distance. I wonder if we can get how much it should slow people by...