PDA

View Full Version : Does Ninja Urpriest work?

Kurtalmak
2012-10-25, 05:16 AM
Hi Folks,

i'm currently building a villain for a lvl-16 party of 7 PCs. The encounter is just for the fluff (no story dependency) and i want him to be really mean but not invincible.

here is what i came up with so far:

Taking Ninja until lvl 9 to get ghost strike and prereqs for ur priest, then 1 lvl urpriest and follow with "evil divine PrC that provides full casting and sneak attacks"

i want him to attack with divine touch spells from the ethereal using his ghost strike ability, stacking his sudden strike dice to any energy spells (like inflict wounds)

i already found "shadowbane stalker" as PrC, but unfortunately he's not evil. i could create a custom evil version, but want to stick to the rules as much as possible

any suggestions on other prestige classes? does this build make sense or am i to focused on the "ethereal strike" thingy?

Arcanist
2012-10-25, 05:19 AM
Well Ur-Priest is a master Ninja on these forums so... :smalltongue:

But yeah, there aren't any good Divine Rogue prestige class like the Arcane Trickster :smalltongue:

Rejakor
2012-10-25, 05:20 AM
Divine Trickster.

Problem solved.

Alternatively, Unseen Seer refluffed to be divine based.

Arcanist
2012-10-25, 05:30 AM
Divine Trickster.

Problem solved.

Alternatively, Unseen Seer refluffed to be divine based.

Not even necessary. Magical Training (2 divination spells), Sanctum Spell and you qualify no matter what :smallbiggrin: Don't even need to take a level in a Spellcasting class to qualify for those 1st level Arcane prestige classes :smallamused:

HunterOfJello
2012-10-25, 05:37 AM
Ur-Priest requires the feat prerequisite of Spell Focus (Evil). Spell Focus (Evil) has a prerequisite that the character be evil to take it.

Unless you find a way around the feat's prereq, the npc needs to be evil aligned to maintain his Ur-Priest class features (i.e. spellcasting). Plus, Ur-Priests are supposed to be evil. They're freaking Ur-Priests!

Arcanist
2012-10-25, 05:49 AM
Ur-Priest requires the feat prerequisite of Spell Focus (Evil). Spell Focus (Evil) has a prerequisite that the character be evil to take it.

Unless you find a way around the feat's prereq, the npc needs to be evil aligned to maintain his Ur-Priest class features (i.e. spellcasting). Plus, Ur-Priests are supposed to be evil. They're freaking Ur-Priests!

Considering he's a villain and an Ur-Priest, I'm pretty sure that he's gonna be Evil :smalltongue: On that note: It really depends if the OP is going to be using Complete Arcane or Complete Warrior. If he is using Complete Warrior then once you gain a level in the prestige class you don't really have to maintain the prerequisites anymore and can just continue taking levels in it. (where as Complete Arcane says otherwise).

Their is also an adaptation to taking Ur-Priest in the name of a Dead God and worship that one deity (there is no Code of Conduct stating that an Ur-Priest cannot worship a God, dead or otherwise).

Anywho, if you're using Complete Warrior rules, then your Ur-Priest can be whatever it wants (just so long that at the time it takes it's 1st level it has Spell Focus: Evil, Iron Will, and the appropriate skill ranks) :smalltongue:

Malak'ai
2012-10-25, 06:05 AM
I'm surprised Urpriest hasn't popped up in this yet... He's normally like Bettlejuice or Bloody Mary in that sense... Say either of their names 3 times and they appear :smalltongue:.

HunterOfJello
2012-10-25, 06:17 AM
Considering he's a villain and an Ur-Priest, I'm pretty sure that he's gonna be Evil :smalltongue:

The original post says that the villain isn't evil. Hence, why Shadowbane Stalker isn't being pursued.

Kurtalmak
2012-10-25, 07:09 AM
the villain will defenitely be evil, but alignment limitation on shadowbane stalker says "lawfull good", that's why i wanted to know if somewone knows a divine PrC that is evil and progresses divine spellcasting and sneak attack.

But thanks for the hint with magical training and sanctum spell. -> then i would fulfill the requirements for unseen seer, but would unseen seer then progress the urpriest spellcasting ?

Rejakor
2012-10-25, 09:45 AM
Yes. It uses the '+1 Spellcasting Class' notation, from memory.

EDIT: It's a stupid workaround regardless. As a DM you should be open to refluffing things from your players - changing the alignment and fluff of a prestige class is something you should have no problems doing - it's not cheating or changing the rules, that stuff has literally no bearing on the rules whatsoever - no-one sat down and said 'shadowbane stalker is too awesome to give to evil characters, so we'll make it Lawful Good-only' that kind of balance thought is simply not present in the game system.

danzibr
2012-10-25, 10:10 AM
that stuff has literally no bearing on the rules whatsoever - no-one sat down and said 'shadowbane stalker is too awesome to give to evil characters, so we'll make it Lawful Good-only'
Ha. I liked this.

killem2
2012-10-25, 11:09 AM
Yes. It uses the '+1 Spellcasting Class' notation, from memory.

EDIT: It's a stupid workaround regardless. As a DM you should be open to refluffing things from your players - changing the alignment and fluff of a prestige class is something you should have no problems doing - it's not cheating or changing the rules, that stuff has literally no bearing on the rules whatsoever - no-one sat down and said 'shadowbane stalker is too awesome to give to evil characters, so we'll make it Lawful Good-only' that kind of balance thought is simply not present in the game system.

Agreed, especially when it comes to alignment stuff. That is some of the flaky rules in all of the system.

Deadline
2012-10-25, 11:35 AM
Have you considered using the Black Flame Zealot PrC? It's only 5/10 spellcasting, but on top of the Ur-Priest chassis, that's actually quite good. Black Flame Zealot also requires you to be evil, progresses sneak attack, and grants the Assassin's Death Attack ability.

Agent 451
2012-10-25, 12:20 PM
I'm surprised Ur-priest hasn't popped up in this yet... He's normally like Bettlejuice or Bloody Mary in that sense... Say either of their names 3 times and they appear :smalltongue:.

Let's test that out.

Ur-priest! Ur-priest! UR-PRIEST!!!!