PDA

View Full Version : What can this character wield at 1hd?

killem2
2012-10-25, 03:05 PM
So with a new session coming up in a few months, with a change in DMs, his rul is we all start off at no larger than ECL 2. So my son is playing a thri-kreen and instead of him having start as ecl 4 (2hd + la1 + class level 1), and wait for everyone the DM and I have worked together to allow him to level up as the following:

(1) 1hd + la1
(2) 2hd + la1
(3) 2hd (buyoff)
(3) First class level and so on...

But does he start with ANY knowledge of weapons besides the exotics thri-kreens get? What would you recommend for them to start with?

My son is obsessing over the goliath greathammers because we use critical hit cards and he loves what bludgeoning effects do in the critical hit deck. It's his guy so I don't really care what he does, but from what I udnerstand, using two 2-handers gives you a -4 penalty on each attack.

Which would hurt badly at level 1.

HunterColt22
2012-10-25, 03:10 PM
So with a new session coming up in a few months, with a change in DMs, his rul is we all start off at no larger than ECL 2. So my son is playing a thri-kreen and instead of him having start as ecl 4 (2hd + la1 + class level 1), and wait for everyone the DM and I have worked together to allow him to level up as the following:

(1) 1hd + la1
(2) 2hd + la1
(3) 2hd (buyoff)
(3) First class level and so on...

But does he start with ANY knowledge of weapons besides the exotics thri-kreens get? What would you recommend for them to start with?

My son is obsessing over the goliath greathammers because we use critical hit cards and he loves what bludgeoning effects do in the critical hit deck. It's his guy so I don't really care what he does, but from what I udnerstand, using two 2-handers gives you a -4 penalty on each attack.

Which would hurt badly at level 1.

two handers as in two wep fighting with them as a thri kreen, or they just being larger than what his character can use because of his size compared to theirs?

Urpriest
2012-10-25, 03:24 PM
Just in case, you should be aware that normally you can't buy off LA +1 until you have 3 class levels, RHD and LA don't count towards that. That said, I assume you're houseruling things for ease of play.

With just RHD, the thri-kreen is proficient with simple weapons only. At best, you'd be doing MWF with a pair of quarterstaves if you're intent on MWF with bludgeoning weapons. You only get the exotics if you get martial weapon proficiency from another source, as mentioned in the text for weapon familiarity in the thri-kreen entry.

killem2
2012-10-25, 05:11 PM
Just in case, you should be aware that normally you can't buy off LA +1 until you have 3 class levels, RHD and LA don't count towards that. That said, I assume you're houseruling things for ease of play.

With just RHD, the thri-kreen is proficient with simple weapons only. At best, you'd be doing MWF with a pair of quarterstaves if you're intent on MWF with bludgeoning weapons. You only get the exotics if you get martial weapon proficiency from another source, as mentioned in the text for weapon familiarity in the thri-kreen entry.

Does he still get his 1 feat for starting as 1hd and, then 2 more for flaws (we use that variant) so could he take the EWP at that point?

aeauseth
2012-10-25, 06:21 PM
You might want to check out the Savage Species book. I seem to recall there are some rules about spliting an ECL or race with more than 1 HD into levels that can be taken one at a time.

Basing my response on http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/thri-kreen. You only are proficient with claws, bite, longspear, and javelin. No armor or shield proficency. Once you take your 1st class you can add the class proficiencies. You could swapout the multiweapon fighting feat (not sure you would want to). Generally you can't swap out the racial bonus feat (deflect arrows).

EDIT: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Monstrous_humanoid would suggest you can use all simple weapons.

Deadline
2012-10-25, 06:21 PM
Does he still get his 1 feat for starting as 1hd and, then 2 more for flaws (we use that variant) so could he take the EWP at that point?

Thri-kreens are Monstrous Humanoids, so their Racial Hit Dice provide BAB as a fighter. That means he'll have a +1 BAB at 1st level, and as such would be eligible for EWP: Goliath Greathammer as his 1st level feat.

Remember, the basic Feat progression is based off of hit dice, not ECL, so things can get confusing with LA added in. For example, a Thri-kreen with 2 RHD, +1 LA, and 3 Class levels is considered to be the Equivalent of a 6th level character (ECL 6) with 5 Hit Dice (2 Racial, 3 class). However, it only has a 1st level feat, and a 3rd level feat. It does not receive its 6th level feat until it gains another Hit Die (usually from class levels).

TuggyNE
2012-10-25, 08:42 PM
EDIT: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Monstrous_humanoid would suggest you can use all simple weapons.

Noooo not the dandwiki!

d20srd's Monstrous Humanoid type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#monstrousHumanoidType) reference is more reliable.