PDA

View Full Version : Incarnate Rules Interpretation

Sponson
2012-10-25, 03:21 PM
Reading up on the Incarnate Construct (in the books and everywhere online), there seems to be a disparity among people to how it actually works.
Well, 3 particular ways I see it interpreted.

Method 1 would require that you have the requisite ECL/LA to give up before you can take the template (since you can never go below zero, taking Incarnate Construct wouldn't net you any bonuses as you'd go from LA 0 to LA 0).

So for example if someone were to build a character, they would be required to start as an ECL 3 character, they could be a warforged with a +2 LA template (so long as those templates affect constructs) and one class level, they then could take the IC template and become an ECL 1 due to their LA becoming zero. So in this manner it would be treated very similarly as a LA-Buy Off, but relative to your party you're "behind", as Level Buy Off does.

Method 2 is that you can take the IC template at ECL 1, so you would be a Warforged with the Incarnate template, become non-construct, then take appropriate LA templates that work on non-constructs as well as having a single class level, becoming ECL 1 without ever needing to be ECL 3 in the first place. The interpretation is that the -2 is "floating", so that so long as you patch it back to LA 0 you're fine.

The "macaroni and cheese" interpretation. The example would allow you to create an IC Warforged Mineral Warrior Feral Spirit (or was it totem) Lion Barbarian for a Level 1 kick in the door.

Method 3 is a combination of Methods 1 and 2. You take the +2 LA template before applying the Incarnate Construct at character creation because you need the prerequisite number of LA to do so, then you take a class level so you're ECL 1, but simply applied the templates in a different order. In this case the +2 and -2 floats, so you wouldn't need to be ECL 3 in the first place.

I'm sorry if there are clear rules somewhere in the books, this whole mess is confusing and I tend to get lost trying to hunt down a specific paragraph among a vast collection of material. But which one of these is the correct way?

AlchemicalMyst
2012-10-25, 03:56 PM
I am not aware of any clear cut rules.

As for which method to use, 1 is absolutely out of the question. The template specifically says "Level Adjustment: -2 (minimum 0)" So there can never be a floating -2. LA cannot go lower than 0, and it doesn't require a creature to have a certain LA. That said, it basically comes down to GM.

Going by straight RAW, there is no way you can apply templates after the casting that you couldn't toss on an already living creature. For example, you can't give a Warforged life and then make it a Half-Ogre.

Personally, I would never allow it for characters, especially low leveled ones, anyways because of the requirements and spell level. No 17th level Wizard, for example, is running around nilly willy cutting out hearts and shedding experience points to give weak constructs life and then letting them run around freely without a plan.

Edit:
To answer your question, none of those are the right way.

The way, by RAW, is that anyone can take the template if they can afford a high level caster to do it. Their LA is then reduced by 2 to a minimum of 0. They then go about their business.

Example 1:
A second level Warforged fighter (ECL 2) somehow gets Incarnate Construct cast on him. He applies the template and notes the changes. The LA unchanged as it is already at the minimum and the character remains level 2 (ECL 2).

Example 2:
A 8th level Warforged Charger (ECL 12) gains the Incarnate Construct template. The changes are noted and the LA is reduced from 4 to 2. The character is now a 'living' 8th level Warforged Charger (ECL 10).

*Warforged are easy examples to work with.