PDA

View Full Version : Save My Group

DontEatRawHagis
2012-10-25, 04:24 PM
So for the past four years I've had more or less the same gaming group. Currently there are eight of us in total, with three using Skype. Our last few games were:

Evil Scientist Themed - Spycraft 2.0
DnD 3.5
Pathfinder
Super Villain Themed - Spycraft 2.0
Men In Black (Official RPG)
Star Wars (Homebrewed Cortex/d6 system)

I was given the job to GM the next game. I am planning on a Zombie Apocalypse setting hopefully with a new system. The problem is the stores around me don't have any books that fit the bill.

Inspiration is coming from Resident Evil games, such as genetic manipulation and experiments. There is Call of Cthulu, but I do not want to have to deal with mysticism or magic based classes. I have a handful of players that would do anything to be the only Jedi in a team of Stormtrooper, if you catch my meaning.

Anyone know of a good Zombie Apocalypse game that I could run? If not any modern systems that might work? I'm hoping for NPC or Enemy creation that allows for mutants.

Mistwing
2012-10-25, 04:45 PM
You could always go with any of the systems made to use with any settings. Like GURPS.

Or take something that fills the kind of systematic specifications you'd like and lock out any mystical classes avalible. Or re-theme it. I've ran no-magic D&D campeigns. It can be done with some skill in re-fluffing.

Really it's about how far you're willing to go.

Systems like Shadowrun, Mutant or even Dark Heresy could easily be used with setting-swaps and removal of the "caster" classes.

falloutimperial
2012-10-25, 04:46 PM
I don't know much about mutants, but "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" is certainly a fun zombie RPG. My group still speaks with reverence of the "Gander Mountain Rangers."

Kornaki
2012-10-25, 05:24 PM
There is Call of Cthulu, but I do not want to have to deal with mysticism or magic based classes.

So don't.... I've never played call of cthulu where any of the players can cast spells, so it definitely isn't a requisite. The only change required is that there's no cthulu mythos skill, which you can't start with anyway IIRC so you don't even need to tell your players. Imagine their surprise when the "cthulu cult" is actually a genetics company

DontEatRawHagis
2012-10-25, 06:22 PM
Problem is I don't really like the Cthulu mythos. It would be especially difficult for me to work with the Enemy NPCs as well.

Krazzman
2012-10-26, 07:27 AM
I don't know much about mutants, but "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" is certainly a fun zombie RPG. My group still speaks with reverence of the "Gander Mountain Rangers."

Seconding this. It's a good "lightweight" system.
Although getting it was a pain in the ass for me.

Tyrmatt
2012-10-26, 07:54 AM
Another vote for AFMBE from me. Ran a long term campaign with it and everyone enjoyed it. There's also a lovely set of rules for the Fallout universe that work with Unisystem so you can have post-apocalyptic zombie apocalypse if you want as well.

I don't particularly recommend the D20 conversion that's in the back of the rulebook but the system for creating special zombies is pretty flexible. If you really want them, I'll have a dig and see if I can find my L4D Special Infected stats and I think I also have one for the Resi Tyrant-001. It wouldn't take you long to stat them out yourself though. The basic zombie is fine to use out of the box though.

Also recommend Worlds of the Dead supplement for some extra scenarios/zombie abilities.

DontEatRawHagis
2012-10-26, 10:47 AM
I have to say I am liking what I am seeing from the "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" Demo I found online.

PS: Just search "All Flesh Must Be Eaten Demo",Link (http://www.edenstudios.net/images/afmbedemokit.pdf)

Even has Cow Zombies. I'd need to see if my LGS has a copy.