PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to get arcane spells added to the Cleric spell list?

gallagher
2012-10-25, 05:10 PM
I am working on a cleric build that can literally take the role of anyone on the team.

Persisted melee buffed cloistered cleric with the kobold domain to replace the sneaky character. Clerics have a couple attack spells that are nice, but I am looking to add some of the raw power of evocation, and some of the nicer wizard spells. I would prefer to avoid doing a double-9 build with one of those dual-spell-progression PrCs.

gallagher
2012-10-25, 05:18 PM
I do realize shadow conjuration would be a good way to get some nice boom spells, but isnt that only feasibly done with a gnome? I am unfortunately stuck as a kobold for the kobold domain

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-25, 05:37 PM
Have you looked at the various ways written in the Cleric Handbook?

Like obscure domains, Divine Magician, Cloistered Cleric? How about the various Initiate feats (those aren't in the Cleric handbook, I don't think).

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0

aeauseth
2012-10-25, 05:55 PM
Have you consider the SPELL DOMAIN (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_Spelldomain&alpha=). It gets you into the ANYSPELL spells.

Menteith
2012-10-25, 05:58 PM
The Divine Magician ACF may be worth a look for this concept. Complete Mage, p33, trades a Domain (both spells and granted power) in exchange for one Wizard spell per spell level to your Cleric Spells Known. The Wizard spell learned must be from from the Abjuration, Divination, or Necromancy schools.

gallagher
2012-10-25, 05:58 PM
Have you looked at the various ways written in the Cleric Handbook?

Like obscure domains, Divine Magician, Cloistered Cleric? How about the various Initiate feats (those aren't in the Cleric handbook, I don't think).

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0

Huh, i looked over the divine magician thing, it does give me a couple new good spells. If I go with divine magician, I cannot get other domains because one of them has to be kobold domain.

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-25, 06:00 PM
Huh, i looked over the divine magician thing, it does give me a couple new good spells. If I go with divine magician, I cannot get other domains because one of them has to be kobold domain.

Be a Cloistered Cleric as well -- that gets you the Knowledge domain...

You are trying to do a Cleric Rogue... I've already done this; try looking at this character sheet for ideas!

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=292794

gallagher
2012-10-25, 06:11 PM
in the OP i stated that i am building a cloistered cleric (its right after the persisted part)

this is how i have my roles covered so far on a Kobold Cloistered Cleric build

Rogue: Kobold Domain, Cloistered Cleric for skills, Assassins stance (Martial Stance) for some sneak attack

Beatstick/Meat Shield: Persisted Righteous Might (medium sized aww yeah), Persisted Divine Power

Arcanist: Spell Domain (for Anyspell) (needs more access to boom spells but whatever)

Bard: Lore (from Cloistered Cleric) and all them cleric buffs. I'll make untrained perform sing and dance checks if anybody actually cares that i actually pretend to be a bard

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-25, 06:16 PM
Bard: Lore (from Cloistered Cleric) and all them cleric buffs. I'll make untrained perform sing and dance checks if anybody actually cares that i actually pretend to be a bard

No no, cloistered cleric has nothing to do with being a bard. Besides, you can take perform oraty if you really want. But you can swap out bardic lore for bardic knack if you want.

Madara
2012-10-25, 06:18 PM
You can take the Kobold Domain Without being a Kobold. :smallamused:

eggs
2012-10-25, 06:26 PM
What level range are you looking at?
Until Flame Strike comes online, the Cleric doesn't have much for direct damage. Frost Breath isn't awful, but it's more about the daze than the damage.

In the higher levels, keep an eye on multithreat alternate-defense spells like Cometdall, Blade Barrier and Radiant Assault, which do passable jobs on their own. Also summons start to be able to carry a lot of blasting weight. Huge+ Storm Elementals/Orglashes, multi-summoned Planar Handbook Energons and Amnizus are especially nasty.

Alternatively, Planar Ally/Binding + Channel Celestial spells can give access to various other spells (Ursinals are level 12 Wizards) that work well.

There are also the slightly reachier ways - Customize Domain feat from Dragon #325 + PHB2 spontaneous domain casting + a good blasting-themed domain (probably air for Great Thunderclap, the electric orb, Moonbow and various wind control effects) OR UMDing custom runestaves.

DMM: Twin would probably be fitting for a build like this - to boost the standard blasting effects like Radiant Assault and Flame Strike, boost the nonstandard blasting effects, and give the multithreats a better chance of landing. And Ocular spell would turn some of the typically touch-range save-or-die/damage into things like two eyerays of DMM:Twin Harm in one round.

gallagher
2012-10-25, 06:26 PM
You can take the Kobold Domain Without being a Kobold. :smallamused:wait whaaaaa how does that work? in that case i would totes go with a gnome and go shadowcraft mage and have some conjuration added on here. would do whisper gnome but i am pretty into these buffs, and persisting them.

No no, cloistered cleric has nothing to do with being a bard. Besides, you can take perform oraty if you really want. But you can swap out bardic lore for bardic knack if you want.
cloistered cleric has a lot to do with being a bard, because it gives me the lore ability. If I feel like doing any more bard-ish stuff, all I need to do is sing while i do better buffs than the bard has.

Venusaur
2012-10-25, 07:41 PM
Hammer of righteousness is a pretty good blasty spell from BoED, but you take 1d3 strength damage.

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-25, 08:54 PM
wait whaaaaa how does that work?

Uh, any cleric can take any domain they want if they don't follow a god??

Look at my sample rogue cleric...

Cuaqchi
2012-10-25, 08:57 PM
There are also the couple feats in Dragon Magic... I forget the names... But they grant a thematic Spells per level based on the Dragon that you follow as a cleric. Some are just level modifications of existing cleric spells but some (Like Tiamat) provide some arcane treats.

gallagher
2012-10-26, 12:06 AM
Uh, any cleric can take any domain they want if they don't follow a god??

Look at my sample rogue cleric...
meh my group isnt really one that accepts a cleric who worships a concept or whatever. it feels like taking the cheap way out, and its a sentiment i agree with. its fine for some parties, but not here

There are also the couple feats in Dragon Magic... I forget the names... But they grant a thematic Spells per level based on the Dragon that you follow as a cleric. Some are just level modifications of existing cleric spells but some (Like Tiamat) provide some arcane treats.
i might be able to swing worshipping a dragon that doesnt grant the kobold domain, and getting it as a kobold. sounds like a solid argument to me

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-26, 12:13 AM
meh my group isnt really one that accepts a cleric who worships a concept or whatever. it feels like taking the cheap way out, and its a sentiment i agree with. its fine for some parties, but not here

Try reading the flavor of my Cinder Rose character. It's in the Other Notes section. Read the background and such, and tell me directly that is a cheap character, with a cheap concept. I dare you.

veven
2012-10-26, 03:26 AM
It might be a bit played out but you could be a gnome who was raised by kobolds after a raid or something. Then you could be a gnome and have RP reasons to take the kobold domain.