PDA

View Full Version : VOP Druid in TOEE

aeauseth
2012-10-25, 05:18 PM
Our party is considering tackling the Temple of Elemental Evil. All I know about it is that it is infamous, apparently one of the best and deadliest modules around. DM would convert into 3.5.

Our party of 5 just experienced the death of our only cleric on our last adventure, the player has decided to bring in a new character. It is not a Cleric or any sort of healer. This will leave me as the only divine spell caster, a Vow of Poverty Druid.

I know very little about the TOEE, nor do I want any spoilers. However as a rumored deathtrap I want to be prepared. I can cast cure spells, remove disease, fix ability damage, etc. But at sixth level I can't do anything to fix blindness. As far as I know Panacea is the only spell a druid can cast to fix blindness and I'd need to be level 9 to cast a 5th level Panecia spell. I want to be in a position to fix any malady the party might experience during the module. This really isn't a Druid's specialty, but I want to do my best. I did take touch of healing last level so I can at least keep everyone at half HP.

Expected party makup: VOP Druid6, Fighter6, Bard4 (cohort), Warlock6, Rogue3/Ranger3. The last slot is unknown, but not a Cleric.

I presume the rogue will handle all the trap finding, although a summon spell on occasion might be able to assist. Traditionally I've left all the healing stuff to the cleric (now dead), and the trap stuff to the rogue. I need to rethink and develop tactics to assist in these roles.

Any suggestions on spell selections and/or tactics?

Spuddles
2012-10-25, 06:14 PM
Get the bard, rogue, or warlock to UMD remove blindness. Scrolls are 375. Easily within a level 6 character's wealth. I know you're VoP; but the rest of your party isn't. Your vows will also allow for them to use a scroll on you.

Also, in case you are blinded, there are a few spells you can use to get around that. Chain of eyes, eyes of the beast (or whatever it is that lets you see through target animal's eyes), or wildshaping into animals with blindsense/sight. Some of these are useful in their own right, especially in the case of scouting.

This doesn't really help you, but summon nature's ally 9 let's you summon a celestial charger unicorn, which has 7 levels of cleric.

Metahuman1
2012-10-25, 06:21 PM
Just a pro-tip. You'll get a lot of milage out of summoning disposable tanks for the party and just letting them die, and having your mates focus on dropping lot's of actual damage into the targets while your summoned allies use things like trips and grapples and the like to lock down enemy's. And yes, sending one stealthy summon ahead of the rouge after he's checked for traps is a good secondary precaution.

Also remember, you have a Warlock and possibly another caster coming in to blast things, and a rouge/ranger and a fighter, being buffed by a bard Cohort. Reserve Wildshape, Melee, Blasting, and area effect/crowd control/debuffing/Buffing for them and for when there is absolutely nothing else left to do.

TheJudicator
2012-10-26, 12:47 AM
Having actually DMed the original AD&D ToEE supermodule, I have this to say:

From the looks of things, you shouldn't really have anything to worry about.

I see a fairly balanced party make-up, something that this adventure is well-suited for. As far as te blindness goes, I would imagine that particular condition to be...situational at best. One or two scrolls for the party should be enough.

That being said, all advice I give is what I give every party: note all the details, don't be afraid to retreat, and think outside the box. Above all, have fun. I sure did with this adventure :)

Rejakor
2012-10-26, 02:18 AM
ToEE is certainly very deadly, dunno about 'best' though.

Randumb herpderp you died isn't really what I consider good roleplaying opportunities.