PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Confusion

Cranthis
2012-10-25, 06:51 PM
I thought Gestalt is taking two classes and combining them, getting the best of both, but also the limits of both?

Like if I made a Wizard//Fighter (I would never really do that, don't worry), I would have good will and fortitude saves, good BAB, the fighter bonus feats, etc etc.

Apparently this is wrong?

INoKnowNames
2012-10-25, 06:55 PM
I thought Gestalt is taking two classes and combining them, getting the best of both, but also the limits of both?

Like if I made a Wizard//Fighter (I would never really do that, don't worry), I would have good will and fortitude saves, good BAB, the fighter bonus feats, etc etc.

Apparently this is wrong?

Um... that's actually exactly what Gestalt is.

And that combination is actually not too terribly bad. Buff Up and Beat Down, with awesome spells and more than enough bonus feats to enter into any prestige class you want. There are definitely better, but it's certainly not bad. D10 Hit Dice, the most important saves, better skill points (due to Wizard's Int Focus), good bab, fighter -and- wizard bonus feats, and the Wizard's spell list and familiar. Not bad at all.

jmelesky
2012-10-25, 06:55 PM
Wrong in what way? That seems a reasonable nutshell of gestalting to me.

Cranthis
2012-10-25, 07:04 PM
Ah. Alright then. But I still wouldn't go Fighter//Wizard

I'd go Duskblade//Wizard.

Cranthis
2012-10-25, 07:05 PM
Also. Is Gestalting even balanced for a normal game?

Mando Knight
2012-10-25, 07:06 PM
By no means. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm#balancingGestaltCharacters)

Jeraa
2012-10-25, 07:09 PM

Gestalt characters are not meant to be used in a group with normal characters. They are supposed to be used when all characters in the party are gestalt characters.

tonberrian
2012-10-25, 07:10 PM
I'd gestalt Psion//Warblade.

I mean, if I were into that sort of thing.

Malroth
2012-10-25, 07:12 PM
Of course 2x tier 4 classes gestaulted together would barely compete with tier 3 classes, and 2x tier 3 classes gestaulted together would be on par with the Tier 1's

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-25, 07:17 PM
Of course 2x tier 4 classes gestaulted together would barely compete with tier 3 classes, and 2x tier 3 classes gestaulted together would be on par with the Tier 1's

Not by a long shot. There is a huge power gap between Tier 3 and Tier 2, which can not be surmounted without Spells or Powers. And not just any spell/power, but a selection of spell/powers that are game breaking. So no, no combination of Tier 3s will ever equate to a tier 1.

TypoNinja
2012-10-25, 07:30 PM

Its a more higher powered option obviously, but it isn't as strong as it first appears. Action economy still hits you like a brick wall. Its not like you can full attack and cast spells too (well quicken but:P)

So unless you happen to get two classes who's features synergize really well you are typically still only doing one thing a turn. You have more options available, so are less likely to be completely unprepared, but there's still just one of you.