PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Spells Outside Your Class

White_Drake
2012-10-26, 12:25 AM
Hello, Playground.

I wanted to play a Death Master, from the Dragon Compendium, but it irritates me that they don't get access to many of the cool necromancy spells outside of core. This brings me to the question, is there any way to learn to cast spells your class normally doesn't get access to?

TuggyNE
2012-10-26, 01:14 AM
Depending on interpretation, the Extra Spell feat may do the job.

avr
2012-10-26, 02:01 AM
There's several ways, but the simplest is likely to ask your DM about expanding the Death Master's spell list directly with some spells from sources released after the Death Master was printed.

There's no need IMO for the usual suspects to get all the love.

darksolitaire
2012-10-26, 02:06 AM
Prestige Bard can be accessed if you take apprentice performer as feat which adds perform to your class skills. Death Master gets spells from the required schools at level 3. To my best knowledge, this adds largest amount of spells.

You're also undead rockstar.

Sand Shaper from Sandstorm and Frost Mage from Frostfell are some others who come to mind.

Rejakor
2012-10-26, 02:11 AM
There are whole guidebooks to this, but it's generally pretty annoying. My suggestion? Talk to your DM. For lots of those classes with fixed lists, the core only spells wasn't a balance issue but simply a case of designer laziness or those other spells not being printed at the time - ask if you can swap out spells for thematically similar ones, or simply add some spells from the appropriate schools to your list.

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-26, 02:13 AM
The Wyrm Wizard PrC is pretty good for grabbing specific spells, but it drops caster levels.

Possibly not the best option, but its there.

Psyren
2012-10-26, 08:50 AM
Spell Research. It's like asking your DM, but you give up something in return (money and time) and have a failure chance, so he may be more likely to go for it. Lots of DMs are happier to let the dice decide on a boon than to simply grant it themselves.

White_Drake
2012-10-26, 05:32 PM
That sounds promising. Are there specific rules for spell research somewhere, or would I have to get it house-ruled?

docnessuno
2012-10-26, 05:55 PM
That sounds promising. Are there specific rules for spell research somewhere, or would I have to get it house-ruled?

DMG 198 "Researching original spells"

White_Drake
2012-10-26, 06:18 PM
Thank You.

Saintheart
2012-10-27, 05:19 AM
Also, Archivist shenanigans may help you out on this one if your class is overly divine and you want lots more arcane goodness.