PDA

View Full Version : Critique my character concept(s).

gr8artist
2012-10-26, 06:03 AM
Nothing fancy here, just want some feedback and build advice. Anything I post here is mostly for fun or cheese, our campaign is laid-back, although we try to make everything by-the-book.

First up: Cavalier/Barbarian (Orc or 1/2 orc; str primary, cha is dump)
Get a rhinoceros mount w/beast-rider feat, and ferocious mount rage power.
Take extra rage so you can share with the rhino. Grab a lance, power attack, and take the Order of the Sword cavalier order. This lets you add your mount's strength to charge damage. Spirited Charge buffs the lance's x2 to a x3 damage on charge.
I rolled this up as a 13th level NPC for the team to fight in an arena. It got blinded on turn 1, so it went down quick, but the end result is a beautiful charge attack.
By my math, it came out to: Lance at +20 for 2d8+75 dmg; with rhino's Gore at +17 for 6d6+20 dmg. Assuming both hit, that's roughly 138 damage on one turn. Booyah!

opinions?

molten_dragon
2012-10-26, 06:23 AM
Nothing fancy here, just want some feedback and build advice. Anything I post here is mostly for fun or cheese, our campaign is laid-back, although we try to make everything by-the-book.

First up: Cavalier/Barbarian (Orc or 1/2 orc; str primary, cha is dump)
Get a rhinoceros mount w/beast-rider feat, and ferocious mount rage power.
Take extra rage so you can share with the rhino. Grab a lance, power attack, and take the Order of the Sword cavalier order. This lets you add your mount's strength to charge damage. Spirited Charge buffs the lance's x2 to a x3 damage on charge.
I rolled this up as a 13th level NPC for the team to fight in an arena. It got blinded on turn 1, so it went down quick, but the end result is a beautiful charge attack.
By my math, it came out to: Lance at +20 for 2d8+75 dmg; with rhino's Gore at +17 for 6d6+20 dmg. Assuming both hit, that's roughly 138 damage on one turn. Booyah!

opinions?

Sounds pretty fun. I've always like builds that can deal out nasty hits like that. And as long as you weren't going underground or anything, the size of your mount probably wouldn't be a problem.

You should find a way to add some levels of bear warrior in there, because a bear riding a rhino would be hilarious.

gr8artist
2012-10-26, 08:28 AM
That would be priceless. It's a 3.5 class, though, right? I was debating giving him some levels in paladin so he could summon the mount. But yeah, when he's on the ground he's in trouble.

HunterColt22
2012-10-26, 08:31 AM
That would be priceless. It's a 3.5 class, though, right? I was debating giving him some levels in paladin so he could summon the mount. But yeah, when he's on the ground he's in trouble.

You'd have to kill the barb levels then or take the pally variant, Paladin of Freedom.

gr8artist
2012-10-27, 05:07 AM
hmm, good point.
Antipaladin it is, then!
Also, I suppose fighter would have been handy for weapon spec/weapon training... Doesn't make the mount any stronger, but gets me more base damage to multiply.
Too many classes!

Medic!
2012-10-27, 05:17 AM
If you can and feel like it, Races of Faerun has the Headlong Rush feat for Orcs and Half-orcs, you can choose to allow your charge to provoke an AoO from anyone one threatening the path of the charge (including the poor sap at the end of it) but get to do 2x damage on the charge :smallamused:

Rejakor
2012-10-28, 10:27 AM
Make it a Lion totem barbarian so it can pounce on a charge, and a whirling frenzy barbarian so it can get an extra attack on that pounce.

Blyte
2012-11-10, 07:29 PM
I'm assuming this is PF.

If your barb wears rhino hide armor, he can do an extra 2d6 with all charge attacks.

If you go with pally of freedom on horse, the "saddle surge" spell gives some good bonuses on charges. it's a standard action to cast :( but it lasts for your level in rounds, and gives ya +1 damage for every 5 feet you charge.

if you take a mount with the "sprint" ability, like the small cat for instance who can move 500 ft on a charge 1/hour, that's +100 damage. Can you say death star?

anyhow, I think there are rules for creating items that can cast spells X times per day. get a saddle of "saddle surge" 3xday, and go titan hunting.

gr8artist
2012-11-10, 11:33 PM
Looked awesome, but there's one small problem... The bonus caps. Still pretty good, assuming it doubles/triples with a lance and/or spirited charge.
You and your mount form a perfect synergy that endows both of you with advantages based upon how far you travel each round. For every 5 feet your mount moves in a given round, you gain a +1 competence bonus on Ride checks and both you and your mount gain a +1 morale bonus on damage rolls made with weapons or natural attacks for 1 round. For instance, if your mount traveled 40 feet in a round, you would gain a +8 bonus on Ride checks and you and your mount would both gain a +8 bonus on damage rolls for 1 round, to a maximum bonus equal to your caster level. You must be mounted to enjoy the benefits of this spell. If you dismount, get knocked off, or take any other action that separates you from your mount, the spell immediately ends.
Also, took another look at the rules for doubling damage. You only multiply the original damage, not the result of another multiplication.
Found this: Rhino's Charge (3.5 carry-over, deal double damage on a charge)
Also, Valorous weapon property =)
So, if the character is wearing rhino-hide:
Charge: 1d8 +1d8 (Rhino's Charge) +2d8 (SC w/lance) +1d8 (Headlong) +1d8 (Valorous) +2d6 (armor) + 5*[STR,challenge,etc.]
A critical adds 2d8 + 2*[STR,challenge,etc.]

Grand Total: 6d8+2d6+(Str and stuff x6)
with Crit: 8d8+2d6+(Str and stuff x8)

Rejakor
2012-11-11, 03:44 AM
If you have backwards compat -

Leap Attack + 2h Lance + Shock Trooper = 3x PA on charge

Spirited Charge + Headlong Rush + Battle Jump + valorous weapon enhancement = 5x total damage on charge

Pounce (lion totem barbarian ACF, other sources) = full attack on charge.

So, at level 10, assuming 10 BAB, and no str or any other source of damage, you do 150 damage per hit.

gr8artist
2012-11-11, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the help!
Next up: Sylph Gypsy
Sylph (+2 dex/int, -2 con) with speed increase and longer duration on summon spells (air elementals only).
Dervish Dancer bard archtype, Scimitar, with weapon finesse/dervish dance feats. (add Dex to damage rolls instead of str)
Str and Wis are dump stats, Int and Dex are primary.
combat expertise, and eventually improved steal and improved disarm.
Dodge/mobility/wind stance.

Basically, dance around the battlefield adding Dex to atk and damage rolls. Spell list is solely buff/utility stuff (Cat's grace!) and summons. Dance can give me haste, or atk/damage buffs. Eventually can give me keen instead.
Full attack during move with an enhanced move range, no provoke from victims, so springing in and out of melee while maintaining concealment against ranged attacks.