PDA

View Full Version : (PF) on the published adventures paths...

MalcolmReynolds
2012-10-26, 06:31 AM
i'm speaking of Rise of the runelords, kingmaker etc...

my friends and i are thinking of switching to pathfinder and have this question/these questions.

1. If you miss the first of six parts (i.e. start in part 2) do you miss a lot?

2. if 1 is yes, how difficult would it be to adapt the recomended level 1-3 to a level 5 party of 3?

basically my friends and i want to start at level 5 so that everyone has some abilities (and we dont get the level 1 wizard, been there and not particuly fun) and we want to know how difficult gm/story wise it would be.

Cheers,
Mal

Deathkeeper
2012-10-26, 07:22 AM
From what I've seen, it's entirely possible to skip one part, although it will require some pretty good storytelling on the part of the GM to make up for the fact that the PCs don't know the quest givers, plot, and events that they should.
And some paths are structured well enough to work around the level 1 trudge. Carrion Crown gives a lot of skill checks and really basic fights at first so that the game really starts up at level 2.

Also, the paths assume a party of 4, with most having part II start at level 4, so you'll have to adjust things anway.

Corlindale
2012-10-26, 07:26 AM
It obviously depends on the campaign, but at least 3 of the paths I'm familiar with would be pretty easy to start at part II (Rise of the Runelords, Carrion Crown and Serpent's Skull).

A possible issue would be that the first chapter sometimes works hard to establish a particular location in detail, which becomes the "home" of the PCs. This is the case for RotR for instance - but I guess it could be remedied by introducing Sandpoint more generally in chapter II. There's also an issue with a particular important NPC introduced in Chapter I which become important in Chapter I - the GM would also have to work to include this NPC in some fashion.

Serpent's Skull and Carrion Crown don't really have this issue, though - the players most likely won't return to the starting area anyway.

qcbtnsrm
2012-10-26, 08:42 AM
Jade Regent could easily skip the first half (Brinestump Marsh) of the first book and start at level 2. But the second half (Brinewall Castle) is pretty fundamental to the entire story. A good GM could work around it... but I wouldn't.

If you wanted to start at level 3-4. I would recommend streamlining the third book, about half the encounters feel like filler there. And then you could bump up the CRs in the first two books by 1 or 2.

Thattaman
2012-10-26, 03:22 PM
RotRL is pretty easy to start at part two. Just have Aldern Foxglove get saved right at the beggining by the PCs, then have a murderer come. Simple. The Pcs are already embroiled in the plot due to the letters that are being left to them, so just play it like that.

Gnaeus
2012-10-26, 03:34 PM
basically my friends and i want to start at level 5 so that everyone has some abilities (and we dont get the level 1 wizard, been there and not particuly fun) and we want to know how difficult gm/story wise it would be.

I agree with other posters. I just had to point out that Pathfinder agrees with you and adds some multiple use abilities to wizards and clerics so that the level 1 caster has more options than casting one of their very limited spells or sucking with a crossbow.

Ravenica
2012-10-26, 04:29 PM
skipping part 1 of skull and shackles and kingmaker is easy enough, for kingmaker you will barely notice heh

MalcolmReynolds
2012-10-27, 10:20 PM
Funnilly enough the players have decided to just go from level 1 anyway. the only concern i have now is that there will be 3 pcs for a module balanced for 4 players. talking to them i've got their character concepts...

1 "minotaur" to "charge", essentially a halforc two twohanded BSF
1 archer, probably a fighter
1 sneaky ninja/assassin, i think just a two weapon rogue

we're taking turns being DM and when i come in ill be an elan wilder (yes psionics is allowed for us) but then one of the other characters will have to leave. in summary, how would you balance rise of the rune lords for us?

Corlindale
2012-10-28, 03:19 AM
I ran Rise of the Runelords for 3 players for the first 1½ module, it wasn't a major problem. I upped their treasure a bit to compensate, and I gave the party an NPC cleric to provide healing (only between combat and adventures, though), but otherwise I didn't change much. It probably helped that one guy was playing a Summoner, though.

BobVosh
2012-10-28, 08:05 AM
Runelords was written before the PF system. All your classes, provided you are playing PF, are buffed anyway. Provided mid-low op.

Higher op levels it shouldn't matter, most of these books are fairly easy.

Ravenica
2012-10-28, 10:33 AM
the first few encounters (generally 3) for skull and shackles from each book are easy. I can't say for sure but from my perspective I think they did it to allow people to ease into it regardless of which book they start at.

Thattaman
2012-10-28, 01:27 PM
Running with one less player shouldn't be too hard, run it as it says and if they're finding it too hard, then make it easier. Simple.

AdamT
2012-10-28, 06:28 PM
If your going to do Rise of the Runelords, please, PLEASE, pick up the pathfinder comic books, number 1 and 2. Read them.

You can then add the npc cleric (who is mentioned in RotR, but you get so much more personality from the comic books), anyway, add the npc cleric to the group to be a 4th. You'll have a great story, great npc, and great group to play through it with.