PDA

View Full Version : Practical Optimization for a mid-level, gestalt, martial artist

Essence_of_War
2012-10-26, 10:27 AM
I was sketching out a build for a mid-level, dex-based, gestalt martial artist and wanted to solicit some advice/feedback.

Available Sources
- All WotC sources approved if used responsibly.
- Game is level 9 gestalt, w/ LA taking up only 1 side.
- Not sure if it's fractional or regular BAB/saves yet.
- No multiclass penalties, but use common sense. Dips are fine, but
- 32 PB

My first build:

Githzerai LA 2/UnarmedSwordsage1/ Incarnate 2/UASS 2-5 // PsyWar (mantled) 9

Trying to maximize the PP/feats/powers from the psychic warrior so shift it to one side on its own.

Feats look like:
1 - OPEN
1flaw - OPEN
1flaw - Shape Soulmeld:Mauling Gauntlets
1psywar - Link Power?
2psywar - ACF Trade for Mantled Warrior: Freedom Mantle
3 - Shadow Blade
5psywar - OPEN
6 - Bonus Essentia
8psywar - Sun School?
9 - Open Chakra: Hands

Pump my unarmed strike damage through mauling gauntlets and dex-to-damage from shadow blade. Use maneuvers, and use psychic warrior powers for buffs/teleportation. Link Power + Dimension Hop + Sun School seems like it would be pretty sweet to layer on top of std action maneuvers.

I have a few open feats, but at least one of them needs to be weapon finesse for my unarmed strikes. Either PsyWar 5, or a flaw since by strict reading of flaws they need only be taken at the time of character creation, not necessarily at 1st level. Combat Expertise + Improved Trip is an option w/ maybe Knockdown later? Potentially Improved Grapple + Scorpion's Grasp? My only issue would be whether or not they'd synergize with my mauling gauntlets since (presumably) I'd make trips as dex-checks not str checks, and my grapple modifier isn't going to be assisted by size modifiers, or by str.

A second, simpler, build:

Githzerai Unarmed Swordsage7 // LA 2/Lawful Incarnate 7

1 - Shape Soulmeld: Mauling Gauntlets
1flaw - Weapon Finesse
1flaw - Shadow Blade
3 -
6 - Bonus Essentia
9 -

I probably want to get Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (maybe at 3?), and Double Chakra at 9.

This same sort stuff w/ gauntlets. Passive Buffs/ Skill Monkey'ing on the Incarnum side, but lots of std action maneuvers on the swordsage side.

Typing all of this out, I'm no longer impressed with trying to squeeze more damage out of a dex-based swordsage w/ mauling gauntlets. Unless I'm also making str based trips/bull-rushes/grapple checks it just doesn't feel like it's good use of resources. If I want to play games with mauling gauntlets, it seems like what I really want to do is be a half-giant psychic warrior // incarnate/something and do a proper str based build to take advantage of powerful build and expansion.

Any observations/advice/feedback would be appreciated :smallsmile:

rockdeworld
2012-10-26, 11:23 AM
With all the extra feats in the first build, you could simply replace Psychic Warrior with straight Psion, since they get Freedom of Movement as a level 4 power that doesn't require giving up psionic focus. And if you pick Egoist, you get a lot of abilities that jive with USS.

Essence_of_War
2012-10-26, 02:44 PM
Hmm...it's possible that I'm just totally barking up the wrong tree with SS/PsyWar on a Githzerai.

Switching to psion, though, probably means switching the martial side to WB so there is at least SOME int synergy, and almost certainly means not being a Githzerai, because of their int penalty.

Maybe Ardent would be a stronger choice to keep with the Wis synergy?

Keld Denar
2012-10-26, 02:59 PM
Do a quick search for Cantripn's Factotum of War build. Very simple very classy Factotum//Warblade build that is very effective and very fun.

If you do do the second build, I really like using Incarnate Weapon bound to arms for that sexy stun. You can deliver a strike with it, then use your move action to recharge it for next round. If you aren't gonna be full attacking, that at least gives you superior strike damage, and who doesn't love a good disable?

docnessuno
2012-10-26, 05:11 PM
Swordsage 8 // La 2 / Psywar 2 / War mind 4

Allows you to use the full BAB progression and fast PP gain from warmind, while still grabbing the initial psywar bonus feats. Warmind 5 ability is only 1 level away, and it sinergizes exceptionally well with manouvers.