PDA

View Full Version : Raciest Whip?

silverwolfer
2012-10-26, 02:05 PM
Sorry for the loaded title

anyways, do any races have the whip as a martial proficiency? I am looking at a duskblade with maybe that uses a whip to deliver spells and the like.

alchemyprime
2012-10-26, 02:12 PM
I read that as "racist whip".

I could have sworn there was a drow variant that did. And if not, drow constantly are shown with whips, so why not ask you DM for that?

Ravens_cry
2012-10-26, 02:13 PM
And, strictly speaking the word you are looking for is 'racial', not racist or raciest.

Lord_Gareth
2012-10-26, 02:15 PM
If you can't find a race that'll help you, might I alternately suggest a spiked chain to get the reach you want? You can still Finesse it, if that's your concern.

Uncle Pine
2012-10-26, 02:16 PM
Sorry for the loaded title

anyways, do any races have the whip as a martial proficiency? I am looking at a duskblade with maybe that uses a whip to deliver spells and the like.

I don't remember any race with racial proficiency (whip), but a single bard level can get you that. :smallwink:

darksolitaire
2012-10-26, 02:19 PM
Only race that can use whip straight out of box is...Balor. Whip is the favored weapon for some deities such as Lolth, does anyone know if there's template that grants proficiency with deity's favored weapon?

The Glyphstone
2012-10-26, 02:22 PM
The raciest whip is in a 3rd-party supplement. I think everyone knows which one.

silverwolfer
2012-10-26, 02:22 PM
Bard 1/ Duskblade 3

or...

Fighter1/ Duskblade 3...

Almost seems like a bard would win

HunterColt22
2012-10-26, 02:46 PM
Bard 1/ Duskblade 3

or...

Fighter1/ Duskblade 3...

Almost seems like a bard would win

Bard any and all times. More spells on a duskblade vs on extra feat? I think I know where to go.

Spuddles
2012-10-26, 04:06 PM
I could have sworn I saw something in drow of the underdark that gave whip proficiency.

But then eating two LA to play an emo elf is about as lame as it gets.

And, strictly speaking the word you are looking for is 'racial', not racist or raciest.

No, I think the double entendre worked just fine.

Bard any and all times. More spells on a duskblade vs on extra feat? I think I know where to go.

Fighter doesn't lose BAB, which is imporant for feat qualification.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-26, 04:10 PM
I could have sworn I saw something in drow of the underdark that gave whip proficiency.

No, I think the double entendre worked just fine.

Fighter doesn't lose BAB, which is imporant for feat qualification.

I don't remember what the name of it is, but you're remembering right. It also gives hand-crossbow proficiency, IIRC, though now that I think on it, it might've been a fighter sub-level.

As to the bold, half-drow. All of the drow goodies with none of the LA suck. Could get twice as emo though. I like to avoid emo with bat-sh*t insane.

Darius Kane
2012-10-26, 04:47 PM
Not all drow are emo.

herrhauptmann
2012-10-26, 05:04 PM

Could play as 'lesser' drow, from PGtF I think.
There's some 'weapon schools' in DotU that gives extra options for various unusual weapons. Whip/chain is one of them. So is quarter staff.

Personally, I thought the thread title meant racy/racey. Like this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=racey In which case, I'd have expected soemthing by the drow, maybe with some help from that one third party sourcebook.
You know, the book that tried its damnedest to produce a serious and well written book on a subject that sends most geeks into giggles...

silverwolfer
2012-10-26, 05:39 PM
Think for cool affect, I will just end up doing a Lesser Bariaus with a bahamut dragon template and end up with this

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/N3344/Wolf_dragon_man_XP_by_kasiek90.jpg

Grab a level of bard for whips, and then go with duskblade

tyckspoon
2012-10-26, 05:41 PM
Outsiders get proficiency with all martial as a Type trait. Easy way to do it if you can Buyoff to shed the LA from Aasimar/Tiefling/Genasi, or you can be a Neraphim if you don't mind being a weird frog-man thing.

Spuddles
2012-10-26, 05:46 PM
Outsiders get proficiency with all martial as a Type trait. Easy way to do it if you can Buyoff to shed the LA from Aasimar/Tiefling/Genasi, or you can be a Neraphim if you don't mind being a weird frog-man thing.

Whip isn't martial.

silverwolfer
2012-10-26, 06:07 PM
Can you go lesser neraphrim , and use the -1 La to get a +1 la template for free? Am not thinking of anything corny just chemelon , to reinforce the lizard thing, I think they get a 10 foot tongue attack .

Aurenthal
2012-10-26, 06:18 PM
Why would you even want to use a whip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#whip)??

A whip deals nonlethal damage. It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

silverwolfer
2012-10-26, 06:39 PM
Oh I don't know...15 ft reach for duskblades channeling abilties

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-26, 08:33 PM
Whip isn't martial.

It can certainly be marital though. *rimshot*

I couldn't resist.

gorfnab
2012-10-26, 08:34 PM
Whip Daggers from Sword and Fist (3.0) are kinda neat. Otherwise on page 144 of the DMG is the Kusari-gama. There is also the Spinning Sword in Eberron: Secrets of Sarlona

brujon
2012-10-26, 08:42 PM
There's a barbed whip variant floating somewhere but i can't remember the source. Basically, it deals lethal instead of non-lethal, and ignores that bit about dealing no damage to armored targets. Otherwise, it's just a whip, just more expensive. Same weapon proficiency.

Augmental
2012-10-26, 08:45 PM
Think for cool affect, I will just end up doing a Lesser Bariaus with a bahamut dragon template and end up with this

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/N3344/Wolf_dragon_man_XP_by_kasiek90.jpg

Grab a level of bard for whips, and then go with duskblade

Wouldn't you suffer ALL the LA playing that?

silverwolfer
2012-10-26, 09:30 PM
Baraius is +1 La, but also a outsider...

So Forgotten realms lesser rules ... remove outsider , and you get 0 LA

Slap on DragonBorn of Bahamut , 0 LA, you lose a few skill things and spell resistance ( thank god)) and you now gain a 4 legged dragon centaur like creature that can breath fire or flap it's wings. That now has the stats ratio of +2 STR -2 dex +2 con -2 charisma

Mithril Leaf
2012-10-27, 02:55 AM
Baraius is +1 La, but also a outsider...

So Forgotten realms lesser rules ... remove outsider , and you get 0 LA

Slap on DragonBorn of Bahamut , 0 LA, you lose a few skill things and spell resistance ( thank god)) and you now gain a 4 legged dragon centaur like creature that can breath fire or flap it's wings. That now has the stats ratio of +2 STR -2 dex +2 con -2 charisma

Close, but they're non-native, and thus can't be lesser. 1 LA isn't bad though.

silverwolfer
2012-10-27, 11:07 AM
Hmm either way, semi proud of myself in thinking of a creatures of it, without suffering horrible levels of ECL.

Talya
2012-10-27, 11:34 AM
Whip is the favored weapon for some deities such as Lolth, does anyone know if there's template that grants proficiency with deity's favored weapon?

A level in Favored Soul.
Sune favors the whip, on the other end of the good-evil axis.

vartan
2012-10-27, 01:31 PM
There's a barbed whip variant floating somewhere but i can't remember the source. Basically, it deals lethal instead of non-lethal, and ignores that bit about dealing no damage to armored targets. Otherwise, it's just a whip, just more expensive. Same weapon proficiency.

MotW has the Nagaika and its Mighty cousin... They are 3e weapons though.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-27, 02:06 PM
Go Bard 1/ Duskblade 13/ Sublime Chord (+PrCs) 3, and Whirlwind Attack + Irresistible Dance on everyone within 15 ft.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-10-27, 03:02 PM
The raciest whip is in a 3rd-party supplement. I think everyone knows which one.

I thought is was whippers, rather than whips, that competed over being the raciest.

Morph Bark
2012-10-27, 03:06 PM
It can certainly be marital though. *rimshot*

I couldn't resist.

Even if whips aren't available as racial martial weapons, they'll still be available as racy marital weapons.

Spuddles
2012-10-27, 08:55 PM
Go Bard 1/ Duskblade 13/ Sublime Chord (+PrCs) 3, and Whirlwind Attack + Irresistible Dance on everyone within 15 ft.

Everybody dance now!