PDA

View Full Version : The binding that hurts [IC]

BelGareth
2012-10-26, 04:55 PM
The binding that hurts [IC]
Chapter 1: Surprise Beginnings

It was when four intrepid adventurers who had journeyed together through cities inhabited by Giants, Air battles of mighty warring Titans, Dueling Archmages in the void, a dying god and the Mighty legions of the Bendasu.

They managed to overcome all odds, and in the end were presented, with the ultimate prize, god hood.

Although they thought, it wasn't what they sought, (or more correctly, not all of them sought it) but it was what was presented to them at the end of their journey.

Tired from the travels, and fighting, they were eager to claim the reward, but as all things in the cosmos, it was not as expected.

They entered the Crux Matrix at the center of the Dying planet, at the same time, walking into the blinding blue light of the most ancient artifact. In the instant that they did their material bodies were torn asunder, they knew extreme pain, and there souls were transfixed onto one another, like a crude surgeons attempt to graft an extra arm.

The only thing you could recognize was the crude emotion of pain, jarring, searing pain, which faded after a time, to white fluffy nothingness.

There you went slightly insane, for how long you could not tell, but eventually, you started to feel again, your fingers clasped a hilt of a weapon, the stone wall of the Matrix, the sand of the floor, and you awoke, gasping for the stale air.

There was only three of you left, Lorenzo, Captain Vayne, and Kelandra....it would seem Kortal has not survived, yes something lingered, something stirred inside your budding consciousness, what was that?

You could feel one another, not the movements, or thoughts, emotions, but a link, you knew, somehow, that you were all linked, in some strange fateful spider web. And somewhere in that web, was Kortal.

You find yourself aboard the Black scars ship, which was bobbing up and down gently in the cosmic thermals. It's crew mindlessly going about its business, not aware, currently, of your presence.

Tharione
2012-10-30, 07:57 PM
The ice coating the deck of the Grand larceny crunches underneath the boots of the black-coated captain as he marches with purpose up to the helm of his ship.
"I should have known... I should have known!"

He grabs the nearest sailor aboard the deck and throws them overboard, roaring as he does so. Vayne continues up to the helm, he then turns to address the crew.
"We're shipping out, everyone to your posts!"

He takes the pearl-inlaid handles of the wheel in hand, scowling at the world.

Morcleon
2012-10-30, 09:42 PM
Kelandra Tingit

With a groan, Kelandra sits up. Last thing she remembered was walking into that Crux Matrix and then... nothing. Her eyes still stinging, she delved deep into her mind, forcing up memories of pain and confusion. Several seconds pass as she reassembles her memories and feelings. She takes in a deep breath and lets it out slowly and shakily. "That was... intense. Now where are we, hm?"

Slamming her eyes open, she carefully gazes around her surroundings, and sighs. In her lilting voice, she mutters. "Oh shut up, Vayne..."

"Anyway," she shakes out her hair and stretches. "You know where the ship is now? Or are we just lost?"

Tharione
2012-11-01, 12:27 AM
"Doesn't matter where we are now darling. What matters is where we're going."

Vayne holds tight to the helm and concentrates, envisioning his destination.

"And where we are going is The 89th layer of the abyss, the Shadow Sea. I have an old acquaintance there who has his... appendages in everything. If anyone who isn't a god can tell us who set us up its Dagon."

A gate opens in front of the ship, at the will of their captain and working of their crews the unfurled sails fill with air and the Grand Larceny accelerates forward toward the newly opened gate.

BelGareth
2012-11-01, 04:00 PM
The Gate opens up with a green eldritch swirl of energy. The Air shakes as it is sucked into the portal that is opened to the Abyss. The red sky of the 89th layer pulses with hatred at being opened to such a place.

But as fast as it was opened, Something happens with similar speed.

The portal suddenly collapses before your ship even begins to muster any speed.

The wind suddenly stops and you feel yourself lurched forward from the momentum.

Tharione
2012-11-02, 04:02 PM
"Well this is mildly perturbing..."
The man at the helm mutters to himself. He points out the nearest crewman on deck and shouts a command.
"Crewman, get Aren up on deck." He orders, referring to the ships mage.
Vayne retraces his steps back down the icy steps and across the deck to the out of place woman aboard his ship. Concentrating hard as he does so.

"Alright Kelendra, what do you make of this here situation?"

Morcleon
2012-11-02, 04:17 PM
Kelandra Tingit

"Well, this place is the resting place of the partner of the overdeity Ao. Which is probably why the gate isn't working properly."

Kelandra pauses, then chuckles. "Or maybe it's just because you tried opening a portal to the Abyss. Try somewhere a little less sentient next time, eh?"

"I doubt anything around here's going to work exactly as expected. If you can't gate us out of here at all, then we'll just have to find the core of this place and try to find a way out from there." She opens her wings and drifts upward above the ship, gazing around them with a penetrating stare.

So, DM, what do I see? :smallsmile:

Senses:
Spot: [roll0]
Superior low-light vision (x4)
Darkvision 60 ft
See in magical darkness 30 ft
Blindsight 60 ft
True Seeing (range limit of sight)
See alignments.
Detect scrying attempts within 40 ft.
Detect teleportation within 200 ft.
Detect secret doors as elf.
Know true north and relation to large landmarks.
360 degree vision.
See and identify all spells and magical effects.
Know spellcasting abilities of entities in sight.
DC 15+spell level Spellcraft to identify all spellcasting within 60 ft.

Tharione
2012-11-02, 04:30 PM
"Are you kidding? The abyss loves gates, lets all its little children run amok elsewhere."

The captain vanishes and reappears in the crows nest. Taking his own gaze to the horizon.

[roll0] spot

BelGareth
2012-11-04, 08:31 PM
You both look out and see the Demi-plane you are in, it is mostly empty, save for two large self orbiting planets, that slowly shifts endlessly into a infinity helix.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SWWj-6QnQI0/UJcXxn9kWTI/AAAAAAAACEY/GXsFHhUTXYs/s640/wallpapers-room_com___yasp_yet_another_space_picture_by_sanmo nku_1280x10241.jpg

As you search, you easily see a pin prick of intense shadow off the horizon, not 3 kilometers away from your starboard bow.

As you watch it seems to pulse and then with the pulse it starts to grow, like a giant sphincter it grows exponentially in a matter of seconds.

K. planes

20 or <
It seems to be some kind of trans-dimensional portal, albeit a naturally occurring one.

30 or <
You vaguely recall that some planes, even the largest ones, the fabric of reality can sometimes collapse, causing strange necrotic rifts to open.

40 or <
This is one of those Rifts.

50 or <
This rift in front of you is a portal that will suck you all in, nothing has ever been heard of from anyone who was sucked in.

60 or <
The rift is a planar portal to outer edges of reality, the pseudo-plane of Entropy. Bad ju-ju.

70 or <
Get the F out of dodge, if you are sucked into that whole, it is going to be near impossible to get out. Akin to a black whole.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TyZobiw98VQ/UJcXxqZKcrI/AAAAAAAACEU/NHrgxFQvKzo/s640/blackhole.jpg

Morcleon
2012-11-04, 09:37 PM
Kelandra Tingit

Kelandra stares uncomprehendingly at the swirling energies for a few seconds before snapping her head over to Vayne. Her voice seems tight and apprehensive as she speaks. "Vayne. That giant swirly mass over there? It goes to the pseudo-plane of Entropy. Bad stuff. Really bad stuff. Get us the hell out of here. Please."

Tharione
2012-11-05, 02:18 AM
"You heard the lady you shiftless good for nothings! Get wind back in the sails, furl em then hoist em!"

The captain vanishes from his perch and reappears at the helm. "The hell out of here would be an unpleasant destination Darlin'. I'm thinking of somewhere an ounce more pleasant."

He turns and shouts
"Aren! where are you you contemptible fool?!"

Vayne steers the ship toward one of the orbiting planets and wills the ship to open a gate to the material plane, hoping that his crew reopening the sails will restore their wind.

BelGareth
2012-11-05, 03:07 PM
The ship lurches as it turns to avoid the portal, winds start up and all of a sudden, you feel as if you are in the middle of a maelstrom, beating on the very fabric of the verse.

Several sinuous arms snake out of the whole, the psuedo-plane allowing the unnature of itself to leak out onto the demi-plane.

They are slow and cumbersome, like that of a psuedopod god creature, an iris appears at the portal and blinks, searching around the plane, until it sees you, it fixates on your position with out blinking.

You move faster and faster, but the wind from the portal is stronger and you start to move backwards. The portal to the Prime Material opens, but you are moving in the wrong direction.

Tharione
2012-11-05, 05:11 PM
The captain grimaces and wills the ship to open a gate between itself and this hungering void.

BelGareth
2012-11-07, 12:37 AM
As the ship is pulled sideways, flipping it stern over bow, you summon another portal between the ship and the Nether void-gate.

The giant Eye suddenly blinks, it's iris changing in size, realizing what is happening, it grows large, as if the immense creature-thing was afraid of something. The Psuedopod limbs waved slowly through the Aether of the Demi-plane aiming for the ship.

The prow of the ship met the center of the portal perfectly, but it wasn't fast enough to avoid the tentacle things, as they slammed against the hull, sending everyone to their knees as they sucked and latched upon the ship, trying to pull it back towards the planar maw.

The ship sidled into and through the portal, but it wouldn't close, the limbs coming with it, and so to the rest of the beast if you couldn't do anything.

The sky is a bright blue as you battle the titanic arms of this crazed ancient creature from the edges of the known verse. the gate is full, or overflowing with the things as they grapple the ship and attempt to pull it back through.

Looking down upon the world of where you came through, you see a majestic city directly below you.

K. the planes

20 or >
Tis WaterDeep.

You can see the thing will pull you through the oddly still open Gate if you do not do something. and quick.

Tharione
2012-11-07, 01:31 AM
Vayne Releases his grip on the helm once through the portal, relying on his own flight abilities.

He stares the being in the eye and casts a spell.

Perfect maneuverability flight
Greater dispel magic targeted on the gate.
[roll0] (vs DC: 28 presumably)
4 bonus from inquisition domain is separate from the cap.

Morcleon
2012-11-07, 07:55 AM
Kelandra

Taking Vayne's cue, Kelandra flies beside him and lashes out with a pulse of disrupting energy.

Perfect maneuverability flight.

Use Voracious Dispelling.
Dispel check: [roll0]

BelGareth
2012-11-08, 12:42 PM
Your vain attempts to dispel the Gate, fail miserably, the gargantuan limbs spewing forth from it start to twist and rend the ship, trying to tear it apart. The ship shudders as limbs start to break and the outer shell begins to be sheared in half.

The ship is whipped back and forth by the tentacles enclosing it and several crew members are tossed overboard, falling to the city below.

You can see a few small specks coming up from the city proper to meet you, and what seems to be the outline of a dragon near the edges of the city, flying towards you. It's Golden scales shimmering in the bright sunlight.

The Gate suddenly grows much larger, and more tentacled arms surge through it, grasping hold of the Ship.

Tharione
2012-11-08, 04:43 PM
Vayne retrieves an amber orb from a pouch as he flies toward the rift.

"No one but no one touches..."

He pulls back his arm

"...my..."

And hurls the orb with all his might at the monstrosity.

"...Ship!"

Invoking the arcanist to cast amber sarcophagus.
[roll0] ranged touch attack
[roll1] CL check if necessary.

Morcleon
2012-11-08, 05:43 PM
Kelandra

Watching the ship being grasped by the tentacles, Kelandra purses her lips and narrows her eyes. She snaps her fingers and shouts a single reverberating Word of Power, her hat glowing with an iridescent sheen. "∏•‘†≥≈∂Ω!"

The entire ship vibrates, and pops away. To Vayne, she mutters, "The ship should be safe for now. I shifted it forwards in time."

Turning back to the tentacles, Kelandra grins. "And now to deal with you."

She flies towards the beast, lashing out twice with wide swaths of vibrant violet energy, striking multiple tentacles at once. As she curves upwards, she flings into the mouth of the gate a sparkling silver orb, exploding with a loud crack of thunder.

Standard action: Use augmented Time Hop (from psicrown) to shift the ship (and it's occupants, which don't include Vayne or Kel) forwards in time 17 rounds.

Move action: Move around, curve up (flyby attack).

Free action (x2): Eldritch cone, 120 ft cone, vitriolic/noxious essences. SR: No. DC 41 Reflex half damage and DC 41 Fortitude or be nauseated for 1 minute (save twice for each shot).
Damage 1: [roll0] acid
Damage 2: [roll1] acid

Swift action: Quicken Twin Shades (cacophonic burst). DC 36 Reflex half damage and DC 36 Will for 80% damage (two successes = 40% damage).
Damage: [roll2] sonic
Spell Resistance check result is 52 (w/ Arcane Mastery's take 10).

BelGareth
2012-11-12, 10:30 PM
Kelandra junts the ship into the future forcibly with an arcane word of extreme power.

The ship stalls suddenly, releasing from the tentacles momentarily and then disappearing in a sudden boom, sending a visible shockwave out with the sound, blasting everyone caught in the wave.

Gone for the moment, she surges forward and blasts the massive appendages with acid, the arms move suddenly, almost disappearing and then materializing again, but only to those who could not see, it merely slowed down time and moved at a ponderous speed to avoid the worst of the attack. When the acid did hit, it failed to damage beast at all, allowing the liquid to fall down to the city in a sizzling cloud.

Opening her mouth a shadowing cacophonous burst emanates from her mouth, rippling the very air and portions of reality before her. When it hits the creature it almost stops, as reality readjusts itself to withstand the spell. You do see several veins pop and arteries spew greenish purple ichor into the sky.

And then the creature suddenly disappeared, a small amber sphere floated in space just before the gate, that was beginning to close back down to its original size.

You can see those small blots from the city, are now humanoid in shape and getting much closer.

Tharione
2012-11-12, 10:34 PM
Vayne examines the amber sphere, looking for anything inside.

"Darlin', I feel I could marry you right now would our union not be a violation of common decency."

He gets his scythe at hand.

"Let's see what the welcoming party has to say."

Morcleon
2012-11-12, 11:01 PM
Kelandra

Kelandra chuckles and winks cheekily. "Well, aren't you quite the flatterer, captain?"

She likewise glances down at the incoming dragon and humanoids, and slowly drifts down to meet them with a smile. "Alright then. Let's go."

Tharione
2012-11-12, 11:19 PM
Captain Vayne follows her flight path.

BelGareth
2012-11-12, 11:21 PM
As you fly down to meet the newcomers, the amber-prison explodes, releasing it's captive in a hail of guts and chitin, eldtritch power vortexes into a cyclone that is sucked into and through the shrinking gate, which in turn pops shut, sending yet again, another pulse of power, that levels small buildings and sends every ounce of dust from the city floor into the air.

As this happens the creatures coming up from the city reach you.

You see a handsome elf riding a Golden Dragon of respectable size, 2 more humanoids, one half-orc who seems to blur as he moves, juking and zipping in the air as he leads the pack, the last one is obviously a mage of some repute, standing tall as he flies towards you holding a staff before him.

The lead man before you, his form never stopping, ever shifting as he speaks, obviously perturbed by your presence.

"Halt and be recognized! You have violated the airspace of the great city Waterdeep!"

From behind him you hear the dragon rider speak up "Oh hush, Jorgan, these people saved us, can you not see that? Oh my, where did it go? I swear there was ship there a moment ago!"

K's

k.the planes
30 or >
You see they are members of the Grey Guard, Elite servitors and protectors of the City.

k.Arcana
42 or >
The dragon is a Golden great wyrm

Tharione
2012-11-12, 11:51 PM
"Captain Vayne Vicious. I must apologize for your airspace, my choice of location was somewhat harried. Once my ship reappears I'll be more than happy with vacating the area."

Morcleon
2012-11-13, 12:57 AM
Kelandra

With a frown, Kelandra glances down at where the ship was. "It should be reappearing soon... wait for it... wait for it... now!"

A moment passes in which nothing happens. Then, with a resounding crack, Vayne's ship is shifted back into the timestream, still showing some damage from the tentacles.

Kelandra turns back to the ambassadors from Waterdeep. "And my name is Kelandra Tingit. Our arrival here was merely the results of an emergency exit; if you so wish, we shall leave as soon as we can be sure that the ship is fully capable of doing so."

Tharione
2012-11-13, 01:04 AM
Vayne flies back to his ship. shouting to his remaining crew.

"Crew! I want a full headcount and a complete damage report!"

BelGareth
2012-11-13, 01:43 AM
As the ship pops back into existence before them, the Dragon rider's face lightens up, "Oh my! See! I told you they had an airship!" she looks to Kelandra and nods her head at the greeting "Well met Mistress Tingit, Captain Vicious" she smirks at saying your name, obviously thinking it some moniker but says nothing more of it.

The woman riding the dragon is a comely elf who also looks like a spellcaster;

"I am Carolyas Idogyr, Member of the Grey Hands, you have met my companion, Jorgan Swiftblade, this here is Maliantor." she motions to a young female human, which is now, quite obviously a woman, she has a long braided brown hair and striking green eyes. She merely smiles at you and nods as she is introduced.

"And of course this is Gildenfire, The Druid Dragon." the dragon who had kept quiet till now, merely smiles a huge smile with great giant teeth showing them off like a big cat.

"Tis good to meet humans of your caliber, Lady Tingit it surely is a pleasure to even have met you once, Lord Vayne, I apologize, but I cannot say the same about you, if what I have heard is true..."

"Oh Gildenfire, you be quiet, we're not here to tell them about gossip! I'm sure Master Blackstaff would love to meet them! Oh we haven't had an airship in the city for years! well not a proper one at least! Not since those naughty Halruaans were out an about!"

You see Maliantor smile at the mention of having you as guests, her eyes sparkled with a deep mischief, as if there was something else at hand here.

"Well, I would think Jardwim would like to meet them at the least." huffed Jorgan, who had seemed to have calmed somewhat, his form slowly shifting now and now longer erratically moving with the speed of a precognitive humming bird.

k. Local
30 or <
Khelben Arunsun (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Khelben_%22Blackstaff%22_Arunsun)

60 or <
Gildenfire (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Aerosclughpalar)

80 or <
Jardwim (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Jardwim)

100 or <
Carolyas Idogyr (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Carolyas_Idogyr)
Maliantor (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Maliantor)

As they talk you both receive an obvious mental communication

I need your presence in Sigil.

You have no idea who it is, let alone how they communicated with you.

Tharione
2012-11-13, 12:50 PM
"It's an honor, meeting each one of you. Especially under such cordial circumstances."

Vayne anxiously rubs his left hand ring when he receives the mental communication, but carries on as if nothing as happened while he waits for an answer from his crew.

"No apology necessary golden one. I am just glad the world has not forgotten me over my short absence while saving the world. Although I am far from deserving of the title 'Lord' as there is not an inch of land to my name."

As he speaks he gravitates slowly toward the female members of the welcoming party.

"I make it a point to never decline an invitation from women of power, beauty, or both. I suppose I could spare some time here. Unfortunately if you know anything about the larceny you'll know it needs to be moved elsewhere before sunrise."

instinctively aims a detect thoughts at twinkley eyes
avoid the dragon and the staff person with the cone
DC: 35

Morcleon
2012-11-13, 05:09 PM
"It is an honor to meet you as well," Kelandra bows slightly, and grins. "I would love to meet with the illustrious Blackstaff."

She turns to Carolyas, and tilts her head to one side with a curious smile. "Ah yes, the Halruaans. So, what exactly did they do here to earn the moniker of 'naughty'?"

Throughout her talking, she sends a telepathic question to Vayne. "So, that message about Sigil. Legitimate request, or trap? Considering what just happened, I'm thinking the latter..."

"...and stop flirting with every beautiful girl you meet, dammit!"

Tharione
2012-11-13, 05:45 PM
Vayne responds telepathically. "I don't accept invitations with no name or address... My instincts tell me its most likely both a legitimate request and a trap. As for this 'flirting' I am simply being a gentleman..."
the latter half said with a tone that makes it an obvious lie,
"...Is that jealousy I sense Kelendra?" the last sentence is sent with the equivalent of a mental grin.

Morcleon
2012-11-13, 10:35 PM
Kelandra

Kelandra's eyebrow twitches as she mentally glares at Vayne. "Tch. As if I would be jealous for you. Don't flatter yourself, Vain."

Calming down, she sends her agreement. "Very well then. I suppose we will be in Waterdeep for a few days at least..."

Tharione
2012-11-13, 11:18 PM
"Is it about not having me to yourself or me sweeping all the young women off of their feet and leaving none for you? I assure you, in either case I will share."

Vayne smirks, genuinely entertained enough with the banter to temporarily forget his insatiable thirst for vengeance.

"It would make me simply ecstatic if you all would do me the honor of escorting us down to the surface. Esteemed company such as yourselves is an unusual treat."

Morcleon
2012-11-14, 01:19 PM
"Eh..." Kelandra's eyes widen slightly and a faint tint of red covers her face. She quickly reasserts herself, and scowls. "Oh shut up, like I'd ever be interested in you..."

She turns back to the welcoming party and smiles brightly. "Indeed. We would be honored if you would show us your wonderful city."

Tharione
2012-11-14, 08:05 PM
"Relax Darlin', I'm just teasing you a little. I already know it would never work between us."

Morcleon
2012-11-14, 08:16 PM
Kelandra gazes off into the distance wistfully, as if remembering something from long ago. "No... no it wouldn't..."

She snaps from her stupor and glances at the party from Waterdeep expectantly.

BelGareth
2012-11-15, 05:36 AM
Detect thoughts 1st round: Presence of thoughts detected.

Carolyas positively lightens up as she hears you both are willing to join them to the city as their guests. Even Gildenfire manages a lazy smile.

Her face changes however as you bring up your ship having to move, "Oh, unfortunately I do not, is there something wrong with it? We could have our ship masters take a look?"

Gildenfire takes a long look "No my dear, the ship is crewed by undead and is affected by a mighty winter spell, it would turn this beloved city into Icewind dale within hours. It will have to move somewhere else, do you have anywhere in mind Vayne?"

Carolyas looks completely distraught at not being able to dock the airship at the city, but says nothing else.

Jorgan smirks at the mention of beautiful ladies, at the question about the Halruaans he raises an eyebrow "You do not know of the Halruaans? Where exactly are you from? A mighty mage like yourself not knowing about the Halruaans is mighty strange to me."

Twinkle eyes smiles and turns to the half orc almost sighing "Jorgan, there are worlds beyond count and yet you question our guests not knowing of our enemies? I swear, sometimes I question Jardwim's judgement on bringing you into the Hands." she turns back to you "I apologize, Jorgan can be somewhat shortsighted sometimes, its a side affect of his 'condition', the Halruaans have long been our enemies, they are a mighty mage city that boasts powerful airships not unlike your own. They were 'naughty' because they ventured too far out. If you will." she says, finishing with a grin.

The others look to Vayne awaiting his decision regarding his ship.

Your ship is badly damaged, she is listing to port and her out hull is almost 70% damaged. But it can still fly at 75% speed.

Tharione
2012-11-15, 12:42 PM
Vayne awaits his crew informing him how many he lost.

Morcleon
2012-11-15, 05:52 PM
Kelandra stares off into the distance, thinking. She brightens and glances over to Vayne. "Perhaps you could shift your ship over to some random place on the Astral Plane, burn the winter spell, then shift back here."

She then mock-glares at Jorgan. "I'll have you know that I have spent most of my life on planes other than the Prime Material." To Maliantor, she grins innocently. "Oh don't worry about us. We won't be naughty at all! Will we, Vayne...?"

Tharione
2012-11-15, 06:37 PM
" None of you fret now. Once I take proper assessment of the losses incurred I'll send the Larceny elsewhere."

He hovers while waiting.

"I'd say it depends on how you define that term. A good guest respects his hosts home, however, so i give my personal guarantee I won't be doing any harm while in town."

Tharione
2012-11-16, 01:05 PM
The captain quickly takes the helm and gates the ship to the plane of elemental air, where he triggers the ice heart, then gates back.

"Alright, that's handled. I do not suppose your city has someplace capable of repairing my ship?"

BelGareth
2012-11-18, 02:37 AM
They all smile at the mention of you staying and taking care of the issue with your ship.

Carolyas perks up at the mention of fixing your ship, "Why of course! we have several competent ship wrights in town, but...oh I don't know if they have experience with a ship such as yours. Well, we can only ask can't we!" she looks to the others and nods "Come come, we have much to do before dinner! Leave your ship here and we shall send people to guide it to the docks."

With that Gildenfire smiles again, like a cat lounging knowing that everyone is dancing his tune, turning he glides down to the city proper with the others following.

If you follow them, they take you to a balcony on the largest tower in the city, where a medium sized man is waiting, black beard and well kept, he seems much older in his eyes that he looks, be-telling a man of exceptional experience and power. He has an aura about him that speaks of authority and command, prowess and power.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070315030410/forgottenrealms/images/thumb/1/18/Khelben_Arunsun.jpg/230px-Khelben_Arunsun.jpg

Carolyas leaps from her perch upon the golden dragons back and lands gently onto the balcony, as she does, Gildenfire's form shifts into the shape of a comely elven male, golden blonde hair and eyes that could burn a city down with their sparkling. The others follow in suit and defer to Carolyas.

Looking at the man she smiles and turns to you both
"Lady Tingit, Vayne, I present to you Lord Arunsun Blackstaff, Archmage of Waterdeep."

He looks to you both with a faint smile on the corners of his mouth, "It is a pleasure to meet you both, I understand we are in your debt?"

Tharione
2012-11-18, 11:19 AM
Captain Vayne takes an aerial bow.
"That is what these fine folks tell me."

Morcleon
2012-11-18, 12:41 PM
Kelandra bows similarly, and smiles. "The pleasure is ours, Lord Blackstaff. And I suppose you could put it that way."

BelGareth
2012-11-30, 04:40 AM
He looks to both as you as you reply and a small smile creeps up on his lips,

"Well yes I would, it's not everyday you best a Far Realms Leviathan, tricky beasts they are you never quite know what they'll do with your magic. But you two managed to handle it quite well!"

he gestures to both of you to enter the tower "Come, come! We must feast our new saviors! It's a short and distinguished list to be on, I assure you!"

You follow him inside and only Carolyas follows you, she seems to have a permanent grin set upon her features. The others peeling off at certain areas, doors and junctions.

He leads you to a grand banquet hall, which interior dimensions far exceed the towers exterior dimensions, and you have no idea how he took you to such a place without any obvious magic during the walk. Either way, before you is a grand banquet apparently prepared for you both, steamed Duck with nectarine gravy, roasted pork in a cranberry dressing and jelly, sweet tarts with yellow custard and pink raspberry sauce, wild grouse stuffed with almonds and sweet breads, a thick and creamy soup of wild mushrooms and pheasant, and several more dishes you cannot identify.

He walks you to two empty seats and gestures you to sit. "We have harbored your ship to the dry dock for repairs, I have several apprentices watching over it and aiding in the repairs, your ship is in good hands my captain. While we wait let us eat!" He seems uncharacteristically happy, as if he is forcing a smile, or that it is a foreign thing that happens rarely.

Moments later the others who greeted you before appear and are seated along with several others, who all look like arcane students, most likely apprentices of the tower and archmage.

Moments later a beautfil woman with silver hair enters the hall and walks over to the Khelben, stroking his shoulders as she reaches him, leaning down she whispers something in his ear and she smiles, not the hard forced smile from before, but a genuine real smile. He looks to both of you "This here is my lady wife, Laeral."

K. Local 30 or <
Laeral (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Laeral_Silverhand)

"Come, Let us eat!"

You both look at the food and feel famished, as if you haven't eaten in a week, even if you do have magical protections against it.

Tharione
2012-12-01, 01:09 PM
The captain experimentally attempts to teleport to his appointed seat. either way taking.

"My, it has been quite a time since I have been subjected to such exceptional hospitality."

He looks over each available dish in sequence, awaiting his hosts to begin to eat first.

Morcleon
2012-12-01, 02:14 PM
Walking over to her seat, Kelandra gazes in wonder at the feast with a smile on her face. "Wow... This is quite the banquet... Especially for one who hasn't eaten in a long time. I deeply appreciate it."

She sits down, and then glances expectantly towards Blackstaff.

BelGareth
2012-12-03, 02:11 AM
Blackstaff motions to you both "Eat, dig in, it will be a long time before we are able to eat like this again!"

Just giving you a chance to feel out characters, describe the food, etc, if you don't want to, let me know and I'll post another cinematic.

Morcleon
2012-12-03, 12:05 PM
As she gazes across the table, Kelandra mutters to Vayne with a joking smile. "Why can't you get us this kind of food on the ship?"

She carefully floats over a bottle of wine, pouring it carefully into her cup. Then, glancing over the table, she selects a few cuts of succlent seasoned meat, a myriad of soups, which she mixes together into a wonderful concoction, and a glazed pastry.

Happily munching at her meal, she swallows her mouthful of wine, and looks to the NPC sitting beside her. "This stuff is great? How'd you guys make all this so quickly?"

Feel free to make said NPC whoever best suits RP and plot. :smallwink:

Tharione
2012-12-03, 03:23 PM
"Well now, Lady, most of my crew do not require anything to eat. If it better suits your stay aboard I will do what I can toward acquiring appropriate supplies and an adequate chef."

The captain goes about acquiring a sizable portion of each bird and then a sampling of every dish he cannot recognize.

trusting as always, he activates his evils blessing before eating and keeps it active throughout the entire meal. ((to my knowledge this has no detectable manifestation))

He then returns to his appointed seat, places a napkin over his lap (if one is provided), grasps the appropriate provided utensil and begins eating.

BelGareth
2012-12-11, 03:19 AM
As you both dig in it seems like it was the silent signal as everyone else grabs whatever food they can, dishes and trays of other delicate specialties stream from the kitchen either refilling previous dishes or bringing new ones.

One thing is for certain, it has been a long time since your tasted such fine food.

After the flow of new dishes slows, and the majority of attendees starts to trickle away, does Khelben Blackstaff look to you with business in his eyes.

"I hope you both enjoyed our hospitality, It was my hope to garner your aide in a particular matter...." all of a sudden the noise around you vanishes "I am in need of your help, we have several portals inside the city, and one has been recently... acquired from us, redirected if you would, by a certain denizen of the lower planes....People of your talent would suffice nicely, to, dispose of said creature?"

Tharione
2012-12-11, 03:36 AM
"Your offer intrigues me Sir. Let me just inform you now that my time and talents are almost always for sale, just in case you decide you have a situation that needs remedying in the future."

Captain Vayne retrieves the napkin from his lap and wipes his mouth on it before tossing it onto the table and standing.

"The only small matter that remains is who exactly you want removed and; correlating to that matter, my price."

Telepathy to Blackstaff:

"I can also a bit more discretion in future employment if you don't want to be openly known to associate with a man of my personal inclinations."

A violent image accompanies this telepathic message, to punctuate the captains disposition toward evil

Morcleon
2012-12-13, 04:48 PM
Wiping the remnants of her meal from the corner of her mouth, Kelandra grins. "Seems interesting. I agree with my companion here; we'll have to know exactly what we're up against before we can accept or deny the job."

She glares slightly at Vayne, muttering telepathically. "You're sending people disturbing mental images again, aren't you?"

Tharione
2012-12-14, 08:24 PM
"I don't necessarily need to know what I'm up against, but I do charge hazard pay for going up against unknowns, and make no guarantees of success."

The captain scratches absentmindedly at his scar.

"So it's just always in my employers best interest to tell me all there is to know before hiring me."

Vayne responds telepathically to his comrade "Prying into peoples thoughts is a dirty habit darlin'. That said, go ahead and read my mind all you like."

BelGareth
2012-12-15, 05:40 AM
Blackstaff looks to both of you and smiles, not the genuine smile you saw before, but a more sardonic smile, as if he wasn't impressed. You get the feeling he is not a man of scruples, and he has done his fair share of immoral actions.

Sighing he continues, "We believe it to be Kostchtchie the tyrant of the frozen 23rd layer of Abyss, we are unsure how he got to be where he is, or why, but we are certain he is unable to leave. And we need him to be removed before we can move on."

k. Religion or k. the planes
{table=head]DC|Result
20|Kostchtchie is the fiendish patron of frost giants nd looks like an enormous, deformed giant clad in hide armor.
25|As the lord of the frozen 23rd layer of Abyss, Kostchtchie is immune to cold damage but is vulnerable to fire damage.
30|Kostchtchie is a formidable combatant, even more so when he calls upon the primal frenzy of the berserker’s rage. His weapon of choice is an enormous, blisteringly cold iron maul.
40|Blows from Kostchtchie’s attacks are so powerful that they can stun those struck when he lands a particularly solid hit.[/table]

"There is not much we know about him, except that he is capable of extreme anger, which can fuel him much like the barbarians of Icewind dale, but much more so, and that he is immune to the cold. The area he is in has been turned into a frozen tundra, a side affect of his presence." He looks away for a moment and then back to you both "What would be an appropriate reward for such an act? we have many items at our disposal and, as much I am loathed to do, would be in your 'debt'"

Tharione
2012-12-15, 01:18 PM
"Deposing and disposing a demon prince.... three hundred thousand gold pieces worth of magic items or valuable gemstones preferably."

The captain appears disappointed upon learning who it is.

Morcleon
2012-12-15, 01:40 PM
Kelandra shrugs. "Yeah, that number sounds fine. If you have any information on the location of the legendary 'Codex of Infinite Planes' for me when we return, that would be fantastic."

"Shouldn't be too bad, if what I know about him is consistent..."

BelGareth
2012-12-16, 02:44 AM
Blackstaff visibly looks better, his visage having turned a sour complexion, "Indeed, that is an adequate amount, it shall be so." turning to Captain Vayne he remarks "we do not need you depose him, merely banish him from this plane of existence, deposing him would be a much harder task indeed." he then thinks for a moment his hand stroking his grey goatee slowly "I do believe I have some information regarding a Codex of Infinite Planes, would that be sufficient for you?"

Morcleon
2012-12-16, 11:41 AM
"Wonderful." Kelandra grins, and leans forward. "Now, can you tell us the general location of our target?"

She mutters mentally to Vayne with a grin, "But it's fun... Besides, it helps me stay alive."

Tharione
2012-12-16, 01:26 PM
"So be it, won't even have to wait for my ship to be repaired."

The captain smirks.

he responds telepathically "Starting to take after me it seems. Same two reasons I have most of my... dirty habits."

BelGareth
2012-12-17, 02:32 AM
"The location? Yes, well if you are ready, I can take you right now, we have a series of folded space and inter dimensional areas within the city, much to my own chagrin during the spellplague, but that has all been fixed since then." he waves his hand as he stands from the table, everyone else stands at the sight of their lord out of respect, which he ignores "come, let me show you."

He walks out of the hall and leads you down a flight of stairs and out onto a balcony, stepping off it into nothingness he awaits you on the other side, apparently you were to use one of those very same spaces to get there. You are now standing in a graveyard and he points to a crypt, its solid stone walls covered with lichen and the engravings upon them unrecognizable, "This is where he is, he has made himself at home, the inside is littered with immense boulders that he hurls at his enemies and it is ever snowing in there. Walk through the entrance will take you to the hidden library, a fact that he is too stupid to realize, not that it would do any good, he is stuck where is. I think Elminster is playing a joke on me." he sighs "either way, he is a powerful opponent and needs to be taken out."

He stands with his hands clasped behind the small of his back, waiting for you.

Tharione
2012-12-17, 01:33 PM
"ever snowing hmmm? A man after my own iceheart. Regardless this shouldn't take long"

He rubs his ring and vanishes from sight.

activated ring of sequestering to become invisible and immune to divinations
then ethereal jaunt and walk through the indicated wall.

Morcleon
2012-12-17, 04:59 PM
"Alright. This should be fun..." Kelandra similarly fades away, and will wait for Vayne to reach an open spot and teleport beside him.

Ring of sequester and Flee the Scene.

BelGareth
2012-12-28, 03:12 AM
You both activate your rings and vanish from view, the enhanced effects of the sequestering preventing you from being revealed to those with even the most powerful divination's.

Moving through the portal you feel a rush of air, cold hits you hard and your breath instantly creates fog as you exhale into the dark night, there is a pale moon hanging ominously low providing good illumination.

Standing several yards before you, down a slopped road in between some white barked trees, leaves the color of autumn stands Kostchtchie, or what you would assume is him. He is seemingly raging at nothing, standing astride the gap betwix the trees.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dB_jAN0zTnw/TNm8Vv201dI/AAAAAAAAAnQ/aNB-2yrrh0I/s1600/PZO9225-Kostchtchie.jpg

Map(s)

Regular

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-IRYNipK2OQQ/UN1UQO-j0LI/AAAAAAAACWk/-3mbrnyReTk/s800/Round%25200%2520regular.jpg

Large

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-17ICFhePgc0/UN1UQr0Tz0I/AAAAAAAACWs/qfaQ3R2h6KE/s800/Round%25200%2520large.jpg

Tharione
2012-12-28, 01:10 PM
Vayne casts a spell before approaching the demon prince calmly. then charging when within eighty feet.

cast surge of fortune.
use evils blessing feat
expend surge of fortune for natural 20 on the charge attack
maximum power attack (-30 / +60 damage)
Maximum dextrous attack ( -30 damage / +30 to hit)
[roll0] to confirm crit (+2 if he cant see me)
[roll1] (x4 on confirmation) evil, chaotic, slashing
+ 24 fire damage
+ 2 negative levels (each cause an additional 24 hitpoints lost)*
+ [roll2] sneak attack

*is immediately aware if hes immune to these due to not receiving temporary HP and other buffs.

Morcleon
2013-01-11, 11:01 AM
Upon seeing their target, Kelandra grins. "Ah, this looks like it will be fun."

She lashes out with magic!

Swift action: Quicken Twin Shades (field of icy razors). DC 36 Will for 80% damage. DC 36 Reflex or take -33% speed.
Damage: [roll0] piercing and [roll1] cold.

Standard action: Twin Shades (polar ray).
Ranged Touch Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] cold.

Gah, what was I thinking.... >.< Too late at night. Actual spells listed in OOC.

Free action (x2): Eldritch spear, holy/noxious essences. Dimensional anchor effect for 27 rounds. DC 41 Fortitude or be nauseated for 1 minute.
Damage 1: [roll4] untyped
Damage 2: [roll5] untyped