PDA

View Full Version : My cohort!

Cranthis
2012-10-27, 12:49 AM
Im taking a cohort because my group needs a healers,and I amthinking of making him a Wizard/Cleric/ Mystic theurge. I know how to get him into mystic theurge at 4.

Or should I go Druid/ Wizard/ Mystic theurge/ Arcane Heirophant.

toapat
2012-10-27, 12:57 AM
Im taking a cohort because my group needs a healers,and I amthinking of making him a Wizard/Cleric/ Mystic theurge. I know how to get him into mystic theurge at 4.

Or should I go Druid/ Wizard/ Mystic theurge/ Arcane Heirophant.

neither.

if you need a healer, go find Heavy Weapons elf

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-27, 12:59 AM
If all you really need from the guy is healing, an expert with umd as a class skill and a wand of CLW can do it.

Unless you're actually using in-combat healing?

There is, of course, the classic heal-bot cleric.

Basically, what I guess I'm saying is this; unless it's a high-op game, keep the cohort relatively simple. It lessens the workload on you and the DM and will help to keep things running smoothly.

Cranthis
2012-10-27, 01:04 AM
It would be simple to do this for me. I will probably do cleric since they can spontaneously heal. I'll just make sure the cleric is more important than the wizard part.

Randomguy
2012-10-27, 01:08 AM
You could just have him go straight cleric or straight healer.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-27, 01:10 AM
It would be simple to do this for me. I will probably do cleric since they can spontaneously heal. I'll just make sure the cleric is more important than the wizard part.

Simple for you, sure. What about the DM? He now has to account for what's basically another PC. Adjusting encounters, adjusting treasure values, perhaps even adjusting the plot if your cohort happens to have one of those unfortunate plot-circumventing spells that he forgot to take into account.

If you absolutely must have a theurge companion, at least consider a favored soul/sorcerer model. It's SAD and its spells known aren't so overwhelming. Btw, have you considered that, IIRC, after the adjustment for leadership this theurge will be casting at least 2 levels below you, even with early entry?

Cranthis
2012-10-27, 01:16 AM
I am aware. Also, I might go with the Favored Soul/ Sorcerer way.

Mithril Leaf
2012-10-27, 02:22 AM
You could always make him an artificer who just creates a hundred healing belts. More cost efficient than wands of lesser vigor after 21 days.

Cranthis
2012-10-27, 02:24 AM
Upon review, I'm gonna go Favored soul 4. Then I will take sorcerer and the next level Mystic theurge. If I change my mind I will go full Favored soul.

Gwendol
2012-10-27, 04:20 AM
Bard, with healing spells and healing hymn.

Ashtagon
2012-10-27, 07:26 AM
Upon review, I'm gonna go Favored soul 4. Then I will take sorcerer and the next level Mystic theurge. If I change my mind I will go full Favored soul.

Where are you getting the skill ranks from? neither class has K/religion as a class skill.

Cranthis
2012-10-27, 07:41 AM
Where are you getting the skill ranks from? neither class has K/religion as a class skill.

Wizard released an article that says at first level Favored soul may choose knowledge religion or knowledge arcana. Even if this wasn't true, there are ways to get skills in class.

nedz
2012-10-27, 09:23 AM
Bard, with healing spells and healing hymn.

Bard is a good idea, unless the party already has one.

If its just a healer you are after though, then you should keep it simple. A full on caster will take time, and the spotlight, from the other PCs. Leadership is not generally considered the most powerful feat without cause. For this reason you should probably consider something innocuous like a Healer.

Ashtagon
2012-10-27, 11:05 AM
Wizard released an article that says at first level Favored soul may choose knowledge religion or knowledge arcana. Even if this wasn't true, there are ways to get skills in class.

[cite needed]

VGLordR2
2012-10-27, 11:16 AM
[cite needed]

Citation granted. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x)

Cranthis
2012-10-27, 04:18 PM
Citation granted. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x)

Thank you.