PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Servant PrC and 9ths.

RFLS
2012-10-28, 03:48 PM
So, I asked in the RAW thread and didn't get a very clear answer, but is there a way to take all 10 levels of the Rainbow Servant PrC in Complete Divine and still achieve 9th level spells on a fixed list caster such as a beguiler or warmage?

skycycle blues
2012-10-28, 03:54 PM
This question's answer is dependent on who is in charge of the rules for the game. Rainbow Servant's chart lists it as losing I think 4 caster levels, but the text for the class lists it as full casting. It depends on DM ruling how much casting Rainbow Servant gets you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-28, 03:58 PM
Assuming you're going by the 6/10 casting on the table and not the 10/10 casting from the text, yes it is still possible. Take the feat Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon, and you can spend two of your 8th level spell slots to cast a 9th level spell you know. If you wouldn't know a 9th level spell due to lacking spell slots of that level, get Heighten Spell or Sanctum Spell so you can emulate a 9th level spell, or get a Bloodline feat in Dragon Compendium which gives a spell known of every level. That will then grant you knowledge of that spell level of your class's fixed spell list since you can demonstrate that you can cast spells of that level.

hex0
2012-10-28, 04:03 PM
Or you could advance Rainbow Servant through an advandced casting PRC?

Answerer
2012-10-28, 04:05 PM
RAW, Rainbow Servant gives 10/10 spellcasting. As long as you do not blow four spellcasting levels during your other 10 levels, you're fine.

If someone houserule-implements the table's version rather than the text's version, then you would need Versatile Spellcaster or some similar shenanigans.

RFLS
2012-10-28, 04:06 PM
This question's answer is dependent on who is in charge of the rules for the game. Rainbow Servant's chart lists it as losing I think 4 caster levels, but the text for the class lists it as full casting. It depends on DM ruling how much casting Rainbow Servant gets you.

Hm...I did miss that. I will have to check.

Assuming you're going by the 6/10 casting on the table and not the 10/10 casting from the text, yes it is still possible. Take the feat Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon, and you can spend two of your 8th level spell slots to cast a 9th level spell you know. If you wouldn't know a 9th level spell due to lacking spell slots of that level, get Heighten Spell or Sanctum Spell so you can emulate a 9th level spell, or get a Bloodline feat in Dragon Compendium which gives a spell known of every level. That will then grant you knowledge of that spell level of your class's fixed spell list since you can demonstrate that you can cast spells of that level.

Ohkay. I'll have to write that down; I had somehow not seen that trick before. Nice to know.

Now for the real question. If you take this PrC with, say, Warmage, does it add the entire Cleric spell list to your spells known list (essentially letting you cast spontaneously from the Cleric list)? That's both an incredibly cheesy reading and the only actual interpretation I can come up with. I realize it's probably due to not considering fixed list casters when writing the PrC, but hey, cheese is cheese.

Sith_Happens
2012-10-28, 04:15 PM
Now for the real question. If you take this PrC with, say, Warmage, does it add the entire Cleric spell list to your spells known list (essentially letting you cast spontaneously from the Cleric list)?

Yes. Not just that, but anything not also on the Sorc/Wiz or Bard spell lists is cast as a divine spell (go go gadget PrC/feat availability!).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-28, 04:17 PM
Now for the real question. If you take this PrC with, say, Warmage, does it add the entire Cleric spell list to your spells known list (essentially letting you cast spontaneously from the Cleric list)? That's both an incredibly cheesy reading and the only actual interpretation I can come up with. I realize it's probably due to not considering fixed list casters when writing the PrC, but hey, cheese is cheese.

Yes, it allows you to cast spontaneously from the entire Cleric spell list.

For a Warmage specifically, I prefer to use the built-in adaptation to switch its theme from a Couatl to a Phoenix in MM2. That would give the Good, Fire, and Renewal domains, Detect Evil, Detect Magic, and probably use Remove Fear instead of Detect Thoughts. The Grow Wings ability would only change in appearance.

pyromanser244
2012-10-28, 04:20 PM
to the best of my knowledge that is exactly how it works. double checking with the DM is a good idea with this even though it should work. and even if the DM agrees with the interpretation he may still nix it on grounds of it being pure cheese. but hay at least then you'll know.

olentu
2012-10-28, 05:21 PM
Hm...I did miss that. I will have to check.

Ohkay. I'll have to write that down; I had somehow not seen that trick before. Nice to know.

Answer, if I am remembering the exact wording of the class I would have to say that no, rainbow servant does not add the spells to your spells known list. This is because rainbow servant, as I recall, only allows the character to learn and cast the spells even if they do not appear on the lists of any of the classes the characters have, and thus can not possibly have added the spells to the spell list of any of the classes that the character has. And unfortunately the warmage's, beguiler's, and dread necro's method of learning spells only gives them all the spells on their class spell list (not counting advanced learning which has its own restrictions). Of course this is all predicated on my recollection of the exact wording.

nedz
2012-10-28, 06:10 PM
Well we seem to have covered two of the three cheeses on the Rainbow Servant's cheese board.

Note that after RS 10 you now have a caster who can cast arcane and divine spells off a merged list: some as arcane spells, and others as divine spells.

So you exit into Mystic Theurge and advance your spell list twice for each level.

If you do use these tricks then I hope that you are playing in a high OP game, with generous cheese toppings all round, or you may get books thrown at you.

OK, until you hit RS 10 you will be unexceptional, but after that you shift above Tier 1; at least T1 characters have to prepare their spells in advance. A Beguiler/Rainbow Servant, Warmage/Rainbow Servant or Dread Necromancer/Rainbow Servant doesn't suffer that restriction after this point.