PDA

View Full Version : A moon-based character.

Heilmut Von L.
2012-10-28, 03:50 PM
I'm a League of Legends player and I love Diana, The Scorn of the Moon.

A video for those who don't know who she is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7WSLWcACiw

I really wanted to reproduce a character who has the theme of the moon in more possibile aspects: spells, weapons, abilities, magic items, weapons.

Any suggestions?

gorfnab
2012-10-28, 07:18 PM
Shadowcaster (ToM) relabeled as Moon Caster wielding a Heavy Sickle (PlH). Maybe throw in a level or two of Warblade for some combat ability.

Zombulian
2012-10-28, 08:04 PM
Moonwarded Ranger? Moon Domain Cleric?

Knowing Diana... Ranger would probably be the closest thing? Getting the tepelort could be sorta difficult.
OH WAIT. Monk of the Dark Moon.
Monk of the Dark Moon/Moon Domain Cleric/Sacred Fist.
Sun School feat, Bind Soulmeld (Blink Shirt). Teleport as a standard action and bop someone in the face! Also pick up a Khopesh, it's her weapon and can be found in Sandstorm.

Venusaur
2012-10-28, 08:55 PM
Sword of the Arcane Order Mystic Shooting star Ranger with Strong-Arm should do a decent job, although you need to dive through Dragon Magazine. Also grab favored enemy (arcanists) to represent fighting Leona's group?

Coidzor
2012-10-28, 09:27 PM
There's Moon-warded Ranger substitution levels from Dragon Magazine. Trades out Combat Styles for things like wisdom to AC and DR, IIRC.

Agent 451
2012-10-28, 09:32 PM
You might want to look at some of the Dragonlance materials for spellcasting that is based off of lunar cycles. Handy dandy lunar calendar link. (http://d20.odk.com/moons/)

Zombulian
2012-10-28, 11:14 PM
There's Moon-warded Ranger substitution levels from Dragon Magazine. Trades out Combat Styles for things like wisdom to AC and DR, IIRC.

Totally already said that.

Heilmut Von L.
2012-10-29, 03:04 PM
Shadowcaster (ToM) relabeled as Moon Caster wielding a Heavy Sickle (PlH). Maybe throw in a level or two of Warblade for some combat ability.

How can I relabel a class? It's a rule from ToM or it should be an adaptation?

Moonwarded Ranger? Moon Domain Cleric?

Knowing Diana... Ranger would probably be the closest thing? Getting the tepelort could be sorta difficult.
OH WAIT. Monk of the Dark Moon.
Monk of the Dark Moon/Moon Domain Cleric/Sacred Fist.
Sun School feat, Bind Soulmeld (Blink Shirt). Teleport as a standard action and bop someone in the face! Also pick up a Khopesh, it's her weapon and can be found in Sandstorm.

I need to know in which manual are the following:

- Moon Domain
- Monk of the Dark Moon (is it a class or a PrC?)

How can a monk wield weapons?

With the combo that u suggest, will I be able to teleport in front of the enemy and attack in the same round?

Sword of the Arcane Order Mystic Shooting star Ranger with Strong-Arm should do a decent job, although you need to dive through Dragon Magazine. Also grab favored enemy (arcanists) to represent fighting Leona's group?

What is Strong-Arm? A feat, a variant?

I've looked at this, seems great!

You might want to look at some of the Dragonlance materials for spellcasting that is based off of lunar cycles. Handy dandy lunar calendar link. (http://d20.odk.com/moons/)

Can u explain me how to use it? I don't know the Dragonlance Campaign Setting.

Anyway, thanks to all of you! I'm not so expert about D&D, I still need to ask a lot of things and there is a lot of material!

Venusaur
2012-10-29, 03:21 PM

It isn't a rule or anything. The Shadowcaster has powers that would fit Diana, so you say your powers are from the moon and change some of the fluff.

What is Strong-Arm? A feat, a variant?

Strong-Arm is a variant that gives you a Two Hand Fighting over archery or two-weapon fighting. It gives Power Attack, Improved Sunder, and Great Cleave. It isn't amazing, but it makes more sense than archery or TWF.

Actually, now that I think about it, Telflammer Shadowlord is what you are looking for. It lets you get a full attack any time you teleport.

Zombulian
2012-10-29, 05:22 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, Telflammer Shadowlord is what you are looking for. It lets you get a full attack any time you teleport.

Oh that's perfect haha.

Um Monk of the Dark Moon is in Champions of Valor.

Moon Domain is in the same Dragon Magazine as Moonwarded Ranger I think.
Oh there also seems to be one in the Spell Compendium, not sure if they are separate though.

Sun School gives you a few tactical maneuvers, one being that whenever you automatically move from one area to another (ie: dimension door, or the monk's abundant step ability) you can immediately make an attack.

Edit: Also, a monk can ALWAYS wield weapons, the problem is proficiency :smallwink:. Just pick up Exotic Weapon Prof (Kaorti Resin Khopesh) and bam, you have a 1 handed weapon that has an 18-20 x4 crit, and can trip.
Orrr you may just want the Moon Blade spell from the Moon Domain.

gorfnab
2012-10-29, 06:00 PM

It's still a Shadowcaster you just instead call it a "Moon Caster", basically just like calling a Rogue a "Thief" or "Scoundrel". Nothing changes except the name. You could go one step farther in the fluff and say the characters gets its powers from the Moon instead of from the Plane of Shadows.

Heilmut Von L.
2012-10-29, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the Teflammar Shadowlord tip.

Strong-Arm is a variant that gives you a Two Hand Fighting over archery or two-weapon fighting. It gives Power Attack, Improved Sunder, and Great Cleave. It isn't amazing, but it makes more sense than archery or TWF.

Is it from Dragon #326? Sorry but it doesn't talk about the Two Hand Fighting... maybe u mean that those feats fit well for 2-handed weapons?

Oh that's perfect haha.

Um Monk of the Dark Moon is in Champions of Valor.

Moon Domain is in the same Dragon Magazine as Moonwarded Ranger I think.
Oh there also seems to be one in the Spell Compendium, not sure if they are separate though.

Sun School gives you a few tactical maneuvers, one being that whenever you automatically move from one area to another (ie: dimension door, or the monk's abundant step ability) you can immediately make an attack.

Edit: Also, a monk can ALWAYS wield weapons, the problem is proficiency :smallwink:. Just pick up Exotic Weapon Prof (Kaorti Resin Khopesh) and bam, you have a 1 handed weapon that has an 18-20 x4 crit, and can trip.
Orrr you may just want the Moon Blade spell from the Moon Domain.

What # of Dragon? Thank u very much, lot of nice tips!

Zombulian
2012-10-29, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the Teflammar Shadowlord tip.

What # of Dragon? Thank u very much, lot of nice tips!

Um. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=moon+warded+ranger+dragon+magazine+number)
#340.

Agent 451
2012-10-29, 08:03 PM
Can u explain me how to use it? I don't know the Dragonlance Campaign Setting.

In the DCS magic is provided by one of three gods, who physically manifest as the three moons that orbit Krynn.

Each of these moons provides the raw magic needed to cast spells to adherents / followers of the three orders (based off of the color of the moon): White Robes (good aligned), Red Robes (neutral) and Black Robes (evil!).

You draw magic primarily from your affiliated moon. Because all the moons go through regular cycles in which their faces wax and wane, so too does the power or relative ease of casting.

You could just base all magic off of one moon if you aren't using DCS, but it does add to bookkeeping. I don't really know if it would add anything outside the setting, since all the wizards would have the same limitations and enhancements to spellcasting, making it a moot point. Unless some evil villain uncovers a way to cast without relying on the phases of the moon.....

hisnamehere
2012-10-29, 08:41 PM
(No flames, please.)

Warlock might work. Eldritch Blast for the ranged attack. Eldritch Glaive for the in-close. Come up with some nifty moom-themed invocations. Invisibility for flanking. Maybe pick up a couple Rogue levels for sneak attack. Sneak attack eldritch glaive large kopesh sounds nasty enough.

Aside: It looks like a kopesh, not a sickle, nor scythe. IMO

Venger
2012-10-29, 09:25 PM
races of eberron's moonspeaker is great for this, definitely check it out.

Venusaur
2012-10-29, 09:50 PM
Is it from Dragon #326? Sorry but it doesn't talk about the Two Hand Fighting... maybe u mean that those feats fit well for 2-handed weapons?

Yeah, that is exactly what I meant. It is way better than worthless archery or TWF feats on a character that doesn't use them.

Zombulian
2012-10-29, 11:50 PM
Yeah, that is exactly what I meant. It is way better than worthless archery or TWF feats on a character that doesn't use them.

But Moon Warded ranger gets rid of that useless progression in the first place.
And btw OP, if you are going to play a Moon Warded ranger, play it until level 11. They get the ability that some take 8 lvls of slayer to get, quite a few levels earlier.

Heilmut Von L.
2012-10-30, 07:30 AM
But Moon Warded ranger gets rid of that useless progression in the first place.
And btw OP, if you are going to play a Moon Warded ranger, play it until level 11. They get the ability that some take 8 lvls of slayer to get, quite a few levels earlier.

What r u talking about?

Venger
2012-10-30, 08:04 AM
What r u talking about?

he's talking about this class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) which is actually illithid slayer, but they can't call it that because illithids are product identity

Heilmut Von L.
2012-10-30, 01:19 PM
Thanks to all of you! I've got enough ideas for a decent reproduction :smallsmile:

Rejakor
2012-10-30, 03:31 PM
Use Shadowcaster and then Teflammar Shadowlord 4 and then more Shadowcaster. The Flicker mystery gives you teleportation.