PDA

View Full Version : What Would 0-Level Summoning Look Like?

Palanan
2012-10-28, 06:02 PM
I'm thinking about adding some zero-level summoning to my campaign, probably on the druid or cleric list. A first-level Summon Nature's Ally seems to draw in animals with 1-2 HD (eagle, monkey, owl, wolf, etc.), so I'm guessing a zero-level version might involve a bat, raven, tiny viper, etc.

Does 1/4 to 1/2 HD seem about right for a summoning orison? And if so, what else would work here? I'm thinking hummingbird and Tirbana eyewing for starters.

qwertyu63
2012-10-28, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking about adding some zero-level summoning to my campaign, probably on the druid or cleric list. A first-level Summon Nature's Ally seems to draw in animals with 1-2 HD (eagle, monkey, owl, wolf, etc.), so I'm guessing a zero-level version might involve a bat, raven, tiny viper, etc.

Does 1/4 to 1/2 HD seem about right for a summoning orison? And if so, what else would work here? I'm thinking hummingbird and Tirbana eyewing for starters.

Sounds fine to me, but your title is was slightly misleading. I came in here think you were making Summon Monster 0.

EDIT: Much better.

nedz
2012-10-28, 07:17 PM
Why stop here ?
If a SNA -1 could, say, summon a Butterfly, then SNA 0 could summon 1d3 Butterflies.

Mystral
2012-10-28, 07:32 PM
Well, just look at this spell from Pathfinder:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-minor-monster

By usual logic, those animals, + the template, should be likely candidates for summon monster 0. (Such a spell would not be apropriate for Pathfinder itself, as you can cast cantrips at will there)

Slipperychicken
2012-10-28, 07:55 PM
Summon Minor Monster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-minor-monster) is first level and summons 1d3 Tiny or smaller animals, so we could treat that as the template for 0th level spell.

Since the formula is Summon Monster N creating 1 of such-and-such creature, then Summon Monster N+1 can summon 1d3 of Summon Monster N creatures, we extrapolate that 0th level Summon Monster would create 1 Tiny or smaller animal (like lizard, bat, monkey, etc) for 1 round per level, and have a 1 round casting time.

EDIT: Ninja'd...

Venusaur
2012-10-28, 09:00 PM
The familiar list should be a decent source of choices.

Kane0
2012-10-28, 10:53 PM
Any normal animal (no templates) that a cantrip/orison could deal with. So less than 3 HP.

A small mammal/reptile/bird or two, maybe a few insects. Annoying things like that.

Slipperychicken
2012-10-28, 11:30 PM
Any normal animal (no templates) that a cantrip/orison could deal with. So less than 3 HP.

A small mammal/reptile/bird or two, maybe a few insects. Annoying things like that.

And since it's competing with 1d3 Cold damage, might as well give the tiny buggers a horrible duration on top of it all. And a clause stating that you can't have multiple summons out at once as a result of the spell.

ericgrau
2012-10-29, 12:18 AM
The familiar list should be a decent source of choices.
Agreed, they seem to be precisely 1 step down from SNA 1.

Since these are already at 1 hp and 0 or 1 damage, anything for "SNA -1" should be entirely incapable of damage and even more vulnerable. Size fine/diminutive (~3-10 inches) rodents and insects most likely. Since they have little useful mechanics except movement, I'd make a basic set covering movement types. winged fly/walk, winged fly/ walk/climb but slower, 4 legged walk/climb, 4 legged amphibian walk/swim, 1 snake/worm climb/swim/walk but slower, 1 fish swim but faster. For example songbird, butterfly, mouse, turtle, garden snake, pond fish.

Psyren
2012-10-29, 08:55 AM
I would make it 1 round/2 levels, minimum 1. This would make it harder to flood an area with critters at higher CL, particularly in PF.

ericgrau
2012-10-29, 10:32 AM
Even then pathfinder's at will rules would mean you could constantly have caster level / 2 critters following you around before the fight even begins, which is better than SNA 1. Since it doesn't take an action it's probably better than SNA 2-3 as well.

A solution for pathfinder would be to make (only) the cantrip version remove the first summon whenever you summon a new summon. Having even 1 all day pet is very powerful, but not game breaking. It's open to spring-trap-remake-summon abuse though. Ya I'm not sure about PF.

Palanan
2012-10-29, 12:38 PM
I'm not that familiar with Pathfinder, but I gather the orisons are at-will. My own campaign is 3.5, so I'm thinking 1 round/level is fine for zero-level summoning.

From the suggestions so far, it sounds like most ordinary small critters would qualify: chipmunks, pine warblers, burrowing owls, pink fairy armadillos, etc. That could offer some interesting options for a low-level druid.

What other creatures are available that would fit the general range? The MM2 has the corollax, with CR 1/2 and a dash of Color Spray, and the junior myconid, with spores. The MM3 doesn't seem to have anything appropriate; MM4 has the clockwork mender (which could be handy for a warforged cleric) and the skiurid, with Chill Darkness. MM5 only seems to have the Tirbana eyewing, while Monsters of Faerūn has the eyeball beholder and the "hairy spider."

So, did I miss anything from the monster manuals? Are there any other critters that would work from other books, or third-party sources?

Slipperychicken
2012-10-29, 12:50 PM
From the suggestions so far, it sounds like most ordinary small critters would qualify: chipmunks, pine warblers, burrowing owls, pink fairy armadillos

Like this?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3b/Pink_fairy_armadillo_cropped.JPG

You can't make this stuff up. Pink. Fairy. Armadillo.

Allanimal
2012-10-29, 03:06 PM
I would make it 1 round/2 levels, minimum 1. This would make it harder to flood an area with critters at higher CL, particularly in PF.

It is a level-0 spell, why not just make it 1 round duration, non-scaling, and be done with it? A lot of lvl-0's don't scale with level (at least in 3.5).

Edit: I am so homebrewing a pink fairy armadillo.

Hylas
2012-10-29, 03:16 PM
Obviously the spell would let you pull a rabbit out of your hat.

Psyren
2012-10-29, 03:17 PM
It is a level-0 spell, why not just make it 1 round duration, non-scaling, and be done with it? A lot of lvl-0's don't scale with level (at least in 3.5).

Edit: I am so homebrewing a pink fairy armadillo.

A lot don't, but several do, like Create Water, Purify Food/Drink and Summon Instrument. I was more going off of the Talents for PF Psionics anyway, but you could shorten it to 1 round. It wouldn't be very useful then of course.

Palanan
2012-10-29, 05:07 PM
Glad the pink fairy armadillo was such a hit. They're tiny, finicky and incredibly rare.

:smalltongue:

So, I'm still looking for additional creatures with 1/2 HD or less. Are there others in the Wizards-verse that I've missed? And are there comparable creatures in third-party settings?

Slipperychicken
2012-10-29, 06:23 PM
Obviously the spell would let you pull a rabbit out of your hat.

The rabbit would have to already be in your hat, and you need a free hand to cast the spell :smalltongue: