PDA

View Full Version : do similarly named/identical class features stack?

Venger
2012-10-29, 03:23 AM
okay, so, let's say you want to build a Prince of Lies type character, and take some levels of disciple of baalzebul. this grabs the "tongue of the devil" ability, granting int to bluff checks.

if you later took levels in mountebank (the prc from complete scoundrel, not the base class from dragon compendium) you would gain the "tongue of the devil" ability which does the same thing, despite having marginally different flavor text.

my question: does this mean that you get your int to your bluff checks twice?

does this apply when the feature is the same, such as a pally of freedom who went holy liberator? do both divine graces stack? does he get cha to saves a second time?

I am relatively certain the "different sources stack" applies. none of these bonuses are typed, so that's not an issue when it comes to stacking.

TuggyNE
2012-10-29, 04:01 AM
Note that there's a specific case of same-name bonuses from different classes that explicitly don't stack: Monk and Ninja's AC Bonus feature. I can't think of any class features (except in prestige classes designed to progress existing abilities) that explicitly stack with each other.

So it's not unreasonable to assume that the default is for them to stack unless otherwise noted.

Venger
2012-10-29, 04:06 AM
Note that there's a specific case of same-name bonuses from different classes that explicitly don't stack: Monk and Ninja's AC Bonus feature. I can't think of any class features (except in prestige classes designed to progress existing abilities) that explicitly stack with each other.

So it's not unreasonable to assume that the default is for them to stack unless otherwise noted.

right, but ninja does call out that it doesn't stack with monk's bonus.

cool. that was more or less my thought process

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-29, 04:11 AM
Same name, same effect; but different flavor text. Sounds to me like multiple instances of the same class feature. I've seen several class features reused from one book to another.

Of course, the primary reference that everybody goes to for the stacking rules is specific to spells, so who really knows?

I'd say no stack in your example unless one was tagged with a different one of EX, SP, or SU than the other, but that's a judgement call on my part.

The magic 8-ball says, "RAW unclear, ask your DM."

Lonely Tylenol
2012-10-29, 04:18 AM
OK, to riff on tuggyne's original answer (and perhaps expand a bit):

The Monk has a feature called AC bonus, which gives it its WIS bonus to AC, plus a scaling AC bonus (listed on the table). The Ninja (CArc) has a feature also named AC bonus, which also gives it its WIS bonus to AC, plus the same scaling AC bonus, but does not stack with the Monk's AC bonus, as is explicitly mentioned in the following text:

AC Bonus (Ex): A ninja is highly trained at dodging blows, and she has a sixth sense that lets her avoid even unanticipated attacks. When unarmored and unencumbered, a ninja adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her Armor Class. This ability does not stack with the monk’s AC bonus ability (a ninja with levels of monk does not add the bonus twice). In addition, a ninja gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five ninja levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

There are, however, other classes which grant the "AC bonus" class feature, such as the Fist of the Forest (CC, p. 80):

AC Bonus (Ex): While unarmored, you gain a bonus to your Armor Class equal to your Constitution bonus (if any). See the monk class feature (PH 40).

Or the Battle Dancer (DMag Compendium, p. 28):

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the battle dancer adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her AC. She uses the captivating and confusing movements of the battle dance to evade her foes' attacks. In addition, a battle dancer gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five battle dancer levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level). This bonus reflects the battle dancer's intense training in unarmed and unarmored combat.

Neither of these make specific mention of the bonuses to their attributes not stacking with the AC bonus provided by Monk, and since the precedent set by the Ninja is that these bonuses (which all contain the same name) don't stack if it's mentioned that they don't stack... The lack of a mention implies heavily that they do.

Obviously, this doesn't do anything to save redundant features (double evasion, trapfinding, etc), and typed bonuses of the same kind never stack (unless they're the types that do), so gaining, say, a resistance bonus from two class features of the same name doesn't double up the bonus (they would overlap as per the general typed bonuses rules), but otherwise, I don't see why they wouldn't stack.

TuggyNE
2012-10-29, 04:56 AM
Neither of these make specific mention of the bonuses to their attributes not stacking with the AC bonus provided by Monk, and since the precedent set by the Ninja is that these bonuses (which all contain the same name) don't stack if it's mentioned that they don't stack... The lack of a mention implies heavily that they do.

Obviously, this doesn't do anything to save redundant features (double evasion, trapfinding, etc), and typed bonuses of the same kind never stack (unless they're the types that do), so gaining, say, a resistance bonus from two class features of the same name doesn't double up the bonus (they would overlap as per the general typed bonuses rules), but otherwise, I don't see why they wouldn't stack.

Yeah, thanks for expanding my rather terse answer (which was intended to be roughly what you said). :smallcool: