PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Invisible Spell Metamagic Feat

Kansaschaser
2012-10-29, 09:43 AM
So, the Invisible Spell [Metamagic] feat makes any spell invisible. It's a feat from Cityscape. What are some the best spells to use with this feat? What are some of the interesting things that you can accomplish with Invisible Spell?

Off the top of my head, I can think of the Summon Monster line of spells. Invisible monsters anyone?

Darrin
2012-10-29, 10:00 AM
So, the Invisible Spell [Metamagic] feat makes any spell invisible. It's a feat from Cityscape. What are some the best spells to use with this feat? What are some of the interesting things that you can accomplish with Invisible Spell?

Don't. Just don't.

Even trying to use this feat the way it was *intended* (with flashy evocations) causes Divide By Cucumber errors.

VGLordR2
2012-10-29, 10:03 AM
Those with detect magic, see invisibility, or true seeing spells or effects active at the time of the casting will see whatever visual manifestations typically accompany the spell

By strict RAW, using Invisible Spell on Invisibility makes you immune to True Seeing, but most DM's won't let this fly.

I'm not sure about this, but it could have interesting results with Polymorph, making you invisible.

It would be downright cruel on a Prismatic Sphere.

Emperor Tippy
2012-10-29, 10:03 AM
Ask your DM. Really, that is about the only answer you will receive for this question. Invisible Spell can be hideously dangerous and deadly, or it can be nothing more than a bit of flavor change.

Kansaschaser
2012-10-29, 10:52 AM
By strict RAW, using Invisible Spell on Invisibility makes you immune to True Seeing, but most DM's won't let this fly.

I'm not sure about this, but it could have interesting results with Polymorph, making you invisible.

It would be downright cruel on a Prismatic Sphere.

Ask your DM. Really, that is about the only answer you will receive for this question. Invisible Spell can be hideously dangerous and deadly, or it can be nothing more than a bit of flavor change.

Damn. We have kind of a nasty DM. He abuses all sorts of tricks and combos against us. We have to kind of "trick" him when we want to use his own tactis against his monsters. So if we ask him, he probably will rule against us and he may even us it against us down the line.

Sith_Happens
2012-10-29, 11:55 AM
Don't. Just don't.

Even trying to use this feat the way it was *intended* (with flashy evocations) causes Divide By Cucumber errors.

This. But if you really want to do it anyways...

Invisible Fog Cloud means that anything that can see invisible can't see, but everyone else is fine. Combine with a Greater Invisible rogue for teh lulz.

Seffbasilisk
2012-10-29, 12:16 PM
Personally I like Invisible Prismatic Wall against flights of Dragons...

It's trickier, but if you use it in concert with Eschew Material Components, Still Spell, and Silent Spell...You can make it seem like you're not casting at all...

dextercorvia
2012-10-29, 12:24 PM
Personally I like Invisible Prismatic Wall against flights of Dragons...

It's trickier, but if you use it in concert with Eschew Material Components, Still Spell, and Silent Spell...You can make it seem like you're not casting at all...

Not really, you still make the concentrating poopy face that lets your opponents know they can AoO you.

Edit: You need Sleight of Hand to make it look like you aren't casting.

Seffbasilisk
2012-10-29, 12:26 PM
Not really, you still make the concentrating poopy face that lets your opponents know they can AoO you.

Edit: You need Sleight of Hand to make it look like you aren't casting.

All of my characters make that face all of the time.

Especially when interacting with Nobility.

The skilltrick is required for the SoH usage.

dextercorvia
2012-10-29, 12:28 PM
The skilltrick is required for the SoH usage.

Not in my copy of Races of Stone.

TuggyNE
2012-10-29, 06:14 PM

Off the top of my head, I can think of the Summon Monster line of spells. Invisible monsters anyone?

Fundamentally, Invisible Spell is broken, in the sense that a) there are innumerable horrible shenanigans you can pull with it; b) its apparently-intended use is ill-defined in the extreme; c) the non-abusive uses of it aren't really worth a feat.

It should always in all cases be banned or completely rewritten.

See also Invisible Spell + Transmutation Spells, and other shenanigans.