PDA

View Full Version : When is it acceptable to school the DM?

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-29, 11:34 AM
Okay, I have now seen more than a few discussions in the playground that revolve around DMs who don't fully understand a rule and end up interpreting it in a way that is potentially abusive. So my question is, assuming you have at least made one attempt to point out their error and they persist, do you believe it is appropriate to take full advantage of their mistake and abuse the heck out of it yourself, just to prove your point? Or do you believe there is a better way to handle an errant DM?

Kornaki
2012-10-29, 11:38 AM
Tell the DM exactly what you plan on doing in the game, and how it is abusive/overpowered. If he doesn't change his ruling at that point, then it means they're OK with that happening in the game, so go ahead and do it

ericgrau
2012-10-29, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't waste game time neither to abuse it to make a point in game nor to argue with the DM out of game. If it's abusive and no one else is abusing it, don't use it. If the ruling isn't enough to ruin the game, live with it. Once a ruling ruins the game then you step in and say "Hey, wait a second."

In a rules heavy game like D&D it's common for interrupting the game to discuss a bad ruling to be more disruptive to the game than the bad rule itself. Before or after a session is a good time to bring it up though, if it's worth that amount of effort. This would also be a good time to point out the potential abuse and ask if it's too powerful for his campaign or if it's ok.

killem2
2012-10-29, 12:02 PM
You really are not hurting the DM as much as the rest of the group, :(

Zdrak
2012-10-29, 12:12 PM
The best way to handle an errant DM is NOT TO. Whatever bad house rule or poor judgement call they made, let is slide and just play the game. In rare cases, the house rule is so bad as to make they game unplayable for everyone*, and then, yes, everyone will have to step in and talk it over. As for ruining the game to making a point, honestly, life's too short.

* if it makes the game unplayable just for you, I suggest you take a long hard look in the mirror and ask "why are those other 3-4 guys still playing, having fun and not complaining, while I feel compelled to complain?". Consider the remote possibility the problem is actually with you, and not with the DM and the other 3-4 players.

Spuddles
2012-10-29, 12:20 PM
You probably shouldn't abuse any rule, regardless of whether WotC wrote it or you DM. Unless you want to be "that guy."

If the rule really bugs you, you could academically demonstrate its problems, but outside of your DM's game. Otherwise you're being rude and disruptive, not just for the DM, but the other players as well.

NichG
2012-10-29, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I'd say it is never justifiable to intentionally ruin the game for others. That is not an action where you can ever be in the right. You're basically saying 'I want you guys to stop playing this game' when you could just walk out and not have to play it yourself. At the end of the day any game lives or dies by the social contract of the table, not the details of the rules.

Discussing potential pitfalls, builds that could exploit things, etc with the DM on the other hand can be very helpful to them if they're willing to listen. Generally speaking when a DM proposes a new rule I'm very up front about 'under this rule, this is what I plan to do', so that the DM can avoid having to retcon things later if there was something he didn't like about it. I generally also do this with any major tricks I plan to include in a character, in case the DM was not aware of them (e.g. 'so this character is going to have a crit range from 9-20, but I won't do lightning mace or other extra-attacks on crit methods. Its more I want to be able to get good mileage out of all the various Burst weapon enchantments. Is that okay?') It usually helps the stability of the game.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-29, 12:39 PM
I don't think being passive-agressive is acceptable at all. I recommend talking to the DM. However, every time I mention this I remember that saying: "D&D is a incredibly social game played by the most socially awkward people in the world."
So... yeah.

Acanous
2012-10-29, 04:20 PM
Depends on the rule and how you intend to abuse it. I mean, if he left open an infinate wealth loop, use it for that extra couple hundred GP you need for that shiny new item, and ensure he understands you COULD break the economy with it, but that you aren't.

If it's something like letting bonuses of the same type stack, then heck yeah abuse the heck out of it. Everyone else will be, including the enemies.

If it's a spell combo, and you're the group's primary caster, it's really going to depend what the heck the ruling was, but I suggest just ignoring those spells.

Finally, if it's something to do with your character build, then yes, abuse it. You won't need to use the broken rule all of the time, but when you do, it'll be magnificent.