PDA

View Full Version : Dragonmarks as Bloodlines

DaTedinator
2012-10-29, 01:17 PM
Before I begin, for those of you who have no idea what Bloodlines are: go here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm).

This is a kind of big change to the mechanics of dragonmarks, though very little change to the fluff of it. If anything, this fits the fluff of dragonmarks better, given that Eberron literature makes it pretty clear that dragonmarks propagate by... bloodlines.

The primary thing lost when using this variant is the variety in speed of progress. For instance, with this variant, there's no possibility of late bloomers - whereas with the feats, a character could conceivably have no dragonmark until level 12, and then have a full greater dragonmark by 18th level. Alternatively, you could have no dragonmark at all until 18th level. Plus, some people could get a least dragonmark - even at first level - and then it never improves, never gets better.

Personally, given that the concept of "levels" doesn't really exist in D&D, I'm fine with that. If you're not, though, I don't really see a huge problem in letting this coexist with dragonmark feats and the Dragonmark Heir prestige class. If someone with the bloodline wants to take Dragonmark Heir, don't let the caster level increases push them past their character level, though.

However you side on the feats and the Dragonmark Heir class, though, Eberron's lore makes it pretty clear Siberys marks are random. Sometimes the people who get them already had strong dragonmarks; sometimes they just appear out of the blue on someone who was previously unmarked. Thus I recommend still allowing the Heir of Siberys PrC to exist alongside this. Besides, that even gives dragonmarked characters a chance to get a Siberys mark before level 20.

The basic table is here:

True Dragonmark Traits:{table="head"] Character Level | Minor | Intermediate | Major
1st | -- | -- | +2 on Primary Skill checks
2nd | -- | +2 on Primary Skill checks | Least dragonmark spell-like ability
3rd | -- | -- | Primary Ability +1
4th | +2 on Primary Skill checks | Least dragonmark spell-like ability | Least dragonmark spell-like ability
5th | -- | -- | House Affinity +2
6th | -- | Primary Ability +1 | Lesser dragonmark spell-like ability
7th | -- | -- | +2 on Secondary Skill checks
8th | Least dragonmark spell-like ability | Least dragonmark spell-like ability | Least dragonmark spell-like ability
9th | -- | -- | Secondary Ability +1
10th | -- | House Affinity +2 | Lesser dragonmark spell-like ability
11th | -- | -- | House Affinity +4
12th | Primary Ability +1 | Lesser dragonmark spell-like ability | Greater dragonmark spell-like ability
13th | -- | -- | +4 on Primary Skill checks
14th | -- | +2 on Secondary Skill checks | Least dragonmark spell-like ability
15th | -- | -- | Primary Ability +1
16th | Least dragonmark spell-like ability | Least dragonmark spell-like ability | Lesser dragonmark spell-like ability
17th | -- | -- | House Affinity +6
18th | -- | Secondary Ability +1 | Greater dragonmark spell-like ability
19th | -- | -- | +2 on Secondary Skill checks
20th | House Affinity +2 | Lesser dragonmark spell-like ability | Siberys dragonmark spell-like ability [/table]

Every dragonmark has a primary skill and two secondary skills, a primary ability, and a secondary ability. These are improved at the listed levels, as should be obvious. For secondary skills, you get a +2 bonus to either one (your choice) at 7th level, and +2 to the other one at 19th level.

Each mark has least, lesser, greater, and Siberys dragonmark spell-like abilities. At each of the listed levels, they can either choose a new spell-like ability, or double the number of times per day they can use a spell-like ability they already have. Remember that two doublings equals a tripling, and so forth. You caster level for your spell-like abilities equals your character level for a major bloodline, half your character level for an intermediate bloodline, or one-quarter your character level for a minor bloodline.

House Affinity grants the listed bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Perform checks made to interact with members of their house. Rather than a bonus, excoriates apply the House Affinity modifier as a penalty to Diplomacy, Gather Information and Perform checks made to interact with members of the house (they keep the bonus to Bluff and Intimidate).

THE MARKS

Spells marked with SpC are found in the Spell Compendium.
Spells marked with MoE are found in Magic of Eberron.
Spells marked with ECS are found in the Eberron Campaign Setting.
Spells marked with Dra are found in Dragonmarked.
All others are found in the Player's Handbook.

MARK OF DETECTION
Primary Skill: Spot
Secondary Skills: Listen, Search
Primary Ability: Wisdom
Secondary Ability: Intelligence

Least Dragonmark:
Detect DragonmarkMoE 1/day, Detect Magic 2/day, Detect Poison 2/day, Ebon EyesSpC 1/day

Lesser Dragonmark:
Detect Scrying 1/day, Discern ShapechangerSpC 1/day, Know VulnerabilitiesSpC 1/day, See Invisibility 1/day

Greater Dragonmark:
DragonsightSpC 1/day, True Seeing 1/day, Zone of RevelationSpC 1/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
Foresight 1/day, Moment of Prescience 1/day

MARK OF FINDING
Primary Skill: Search
Secondary Skills: Spot, Survival
Primary Ability: Intelligence
Secondary Ability: Wisdom

Least Dragonmark:
BloodhoundSpC 1/day, Identify 1/day, Instant SearchSpC 1/day, Know Direction 2/day, Locate Object 1/day

Lesser Dragonmark:
Circle DanceSpC 1/day, Helping Hand 1/day, Locate Creature 1/day, Share Husk 2/day

Greater Dragonmark:
Find the Path 1/day, Implacable PursuerSpC 2/day, Lay of the LandSpC 2/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
Discern Location 1/day

MARK OF HANDLING
Primary Skill: Handle Animal
Secondary Skills: Knowledge (nature), Ride
Primary Ability: Charisma
Secondary Ability: Dexterity

Least Dragonmark:
Calm Animals 1/day, Charm Animal 1/day, Enrage AnimalSpC 1/day, Nature's FavorSpC 1/day, Speak With Animals 1/day

Lesser Dragonmark:
Dominate Animal 1/day, Greater Magic Fang 1/day, Jagged ToothSpC 1/day, Train Animal 2/day

Greater Dragonmark:
Animal Growth 1/day, Dragonblood BeastDra 1/day, Mark of the WildDra 1/day, Summon Nature's Ally V 1/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
Awaken 1/day, Summon Nature's Ally VII 1/day

MARK OF HEALING
Primary Skill: Heal
Secondary Skills: Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (local)
Secondary Ability: Constitution

Least Dragonmark:
Cure Light Wounds 1/day, Lesser Restoration 1/day, Lesser VigorSpC 1/day, StabilizeSpC 1/day

Lesser Dragonmark:
Cure Serious Wounds 1/day, Close WoundsSpC 2/day, Neutralize Poison 1/day, Remove Disease 1/day, Restoration 1/day, VigorSpC 1/day

Greater Dragonmark:
Heal 1/day, PanaceaSpC 2/day, RevivifySpC 1/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
Mass Heal 1/day

MARK OF HOSPITALITY
Primary Skill: Diplomacy
Secondary Skills: Bluff, Sense Motive

Least Dragonmark:
DawnSpC 1/day, Purify Food and Drink 2/day, Prestidigitation 2/day, Second WindSpC 1/day Unseen Servant 1/day

Lesser Dragonmark:
Clothier's ClosetMoE 2/day, Create Food and Water 1/day, Leomund's Secure Shelter 1/day, Servant HordeSpC 1/day

Greater Dragonmark:
Dragonmark DemesneDra 1/day, Heroes' Feast 1/day, Hidden LodgeSpC 1/day, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion 1/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
Refuge 1/day

MARK OF MAKING
Primary Skill: Craft
Secondary Skills: Appraise, Use Magic Device
Secondary Ability: Strength

Least Dragonmark:
Golem StrikeSpC 1/day, Make Whole 1/day, Mending 2/day, Repair Light DamageSpC 1/day, StickSpC 2/day

Lesser Dragonmark:
Force LadderSpC 2/day, Minor Creation 1/day, Quick PotionSpC 2/day, Repair Serious DamageSpC 1/day

Greater Dragonmark:
Fabricate 1/day, Major Creation 1/day, Metal MeltSpC 2/day, Wall of GearsSpC 1/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
True CreationSpC 1/day

MARK OF PASSAGE
Primary Skill: Survival
Secondary Skills: Jump, Tumble

Least Dragonmark:
Benign TranspositionSpC 1/day, Dark WaySpC 1/day, Expeditious Retreat 1/day, Mount 1/day, Dimension Leap 1/dayMoE

Lesser Dragonmark:
Baleful TranspositionSpC 2/day, Dimension Door 1/day, Phantom Steed 1/day, Swift FlySpC 2/day

Greater Dragonmark:
Flight of the DragonSpC 2/day, Overland Flight 1/day, Teleport 1/day, Wind at BackSpC 2/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
Greater Teleport 1/day

MARK OF SCRIBING
Primary Skill: Decipher Script
Secondary Skills: Autohypnosis, Forgery

Least Dragonmark:
AmanuensisSpC 2/day, Ancient KnowledgeMoE 1/day, Arcane Mark 2/day, Comprehend Languages 1/day, Whispering Wind 1/day

Lesser Dragonmark:
Illusory Script 1/day, Secret Page 1/day, SpeechlinkSpC 1/day, Speaking StonesMoE 2/day, Tongues 1/day

Greater Dragonmark:
Dragonmark SymbolDra 1/day, Sending 1/day, Transcribe SymbolSpC 1/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
Symbol of Death 1/day

MARK OF SENTINEL
Primary Skill: Sense Motive
Secondary Skills: Intimidate, Knowledge (nobility and royalty)
Secondary Ability: Strength

Least Dragonmark:
LionheartSpC 1/day, Mage Armor 1/day, Protection from Arrows 1/day, Shield of Faith 1/day, Shield Other 1/day, Warning ShoutSpC 1/day

Lesser Dragonmark:
Lesser Spell ImmunitySpC 2/day, Mass ResurgenceSpC 1/day, Protection from Energy 1/day, Lesser Globe of Invulnerability 1/day

Greater Dragonmark:
Aura of EvasionSpC 1/day, Delay DeathSpC 1/day, Globe of Invulnerability 1/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
Mind Blank 1/day

MARK OF SHADOW
Primary Skill: Gather Information
Secondary Skills: Bluff, Hide

Least Dragonmark:
Darkness 1/day, Disguise Self 1/day, Insightful FeintSpC 1/day, Minor Image 1/day Net of ShadowsSpC 1/day

Lesser Dragonmark:
BlindsightSpC 1/day, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance 1/day, Shadow Conjuration 1/day, Scrying 1/day, Veil of ShadowSpC 2/day

Greater Dragonmark:
Hide from DragonsSpC 2/day, Mislead 1/day, Prying Eyes 1/day, Shadow FormSpC 1/day, Shadow Walk 1/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
Greater Prying Eyes 1/day, Greater Scrying 1/day

MARK OF STORM
Primary Skill: Balance
Secondary Skills: Profession (sailor), Tumble
Primary Ability: Dexterity

Least Dragonmark:
Electric JoltSpC 2/day, Endure Elements 1/day, Fog Cloud 1/day, Gust of Wind 1/day, UpdraftSpC 1/day

Lesser Dragonmark:
Binding WindsSpC 2/day, DowndraftSpC 1/day, Sleet Storm 1/day, Wind's FavorECS 1/day, Wind Wall 1/day

Greater Dragonmark:
Control Winds 1/day, Control Weather 1/day, Storm TouchMoE 2/day, Storm TowerSpC 1/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
Storm of Vengeance 1/day

MARK OF WARDING
Primary Skill: Search
Secondary Skills: Disable Device, Open Lock

Least Dragonmark:
Alarm 1/day, Arcane Lock 1/day, Dispel WardSpC 1/day, Firetrap 1/day, Hidden WardMoE 1/day, Misdirection 1/day

Lesser Dragonmark:
Explosive Runes 1/day, Glyph of Warding 1/day, Nondetection 1/day, Shadow CacheSpC 1/day, Sign of SealingSpC 1/day

Greater Dragonmark:
Hide the PathSpC 1/day, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound 1/day, Greater Glyph of Warding 1/day, Guards and Wards 1/day, Zone of RespiteSpC 1/day

Siberys Dragonmark:
Prismatic Wall 1/day

EdroGrimshell
2012-10-29, 03:13 PM
:smallcool:

That is All.

Not really, but seriously, this is a good idea. I like it, it works, and it's a fun way to rework it without much trouble. I'd actually use this.

WyvernLord
2012-10-29, 04:22 PM
I'm watching this. It seems like a cool idea.

Eldan
2012-10-29, 04:25 PM
Good idea. They never really seemed worth the feats to me.

Garryl
2012-10-29, 05:01 PM
I'm not too familiar with bloodlines in actual play (especially with the myriad interpretations of their rules), but this looks like a good way of doing things.

ErrantX
2012-10-29, 05:14 PM
I like this alot, actually. Elegant solution to the kind of bad implementation of Dragonmarks. I've always felt that if there was a class for it, it should give at 3/5 advancement of previous class' class features, but this is definitely another great way to do it. I like it.

My only gripe is with Siberys marks, because those are supposed to be just stupid random on who gets those and not a logical progression of the Greater Mark. I'd remove the Siberys mark at the end and just keep Heir of Siberys what it is, a 3-level class that's not too difficult to stomach.

-X

DaTedinator
2012-11-08, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the good thoughts! First draft is up. Eventually I may figure something out for Aberrant marks, but I'd want to make them noticeably different, and really, in that spirit, they might be fine just staying as feats.

Also, ErrantX, I left the Siberys Mark at the top of the major bloodline for two main reasons. First, it so neatly fit my pattern! I'm a sucker for patterned progressions, and I really liked this one. So there's that.

Second - and I kind of get into this a bit in my introduction - I don't think this negates the randomness. Eberron is such a low-powered world, it's extremely rare for anyone to make it to 15, much less reach 20. Thus, it's far from certain that a character with a major bloodline is going to end up with a Siberys mark. In fact, it's extremely rare, probably to the point where Siberys marks would be a thing of myth, were it not for the Heir of Siberys (and even then, they're rare).

But mostly it's the first reason. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Oh, and one other note. Those of you who own Dragonmarked will notice that I've rolled the Dragonmark Prodigy, Adept, and Visionary feats into the spell-like ability list. This was mostly to pad out the options for the least marks - by 20th level with a major bloodline, you have four least dragonmark abilities, and some marks only have two options to choose from.

If people think that was a bad idea, I'd be open to hearing their opinions.