PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage/dervish

Noodler
2012-10-30, 04:06 AM
I was looking at the class, and I was debating on if it would be worth combining the two classes. If I did do this would probably use, Tangat, Talenta, basically two handed scimitar.

Darrin
2012-10-30, 08:26 AM
I was looking at the class, and I was debating on if it would be worth combining the two classes. If I did do this would probably use, Tangat, Talenta, basically two handed scimitar.

What exactly do you want the Dervish part to do that the Swordsage can't do even better?

RFLS
2012-10-30, 12:02 PM
I apologize if I'm wrong, but isn't Dervish all about two weapon fighting? If that's the case, why are you THFing?

Noodler
2012-10-30, 12:07 PM
Well, dervish has full Bab, vs med Bab of Swordsage, then there is the increased move speed, full attacks without other dips, extra attacks from dance/thousand cuts, free spring attack feat, cleave and great cleave. Then there is also fluff.

Noodler
2012-10-30, 12:12 PM
I apologize if I'm wrong, but isn't Dervish all about two weapon fighting? If that's the case, why are you THFing?

All it says is a slashing weapon, however yes they do get:

Slashing Blades: A dervish treats the scimitar as a light
weapon (rather than a one-handed weapon) for all purposes,
including fighting with two weapons.

However I wouldn't say its required to thf, as personally I find two weapons can be lackluster.

Twilightwyrm
2012-10-30, 12:25 PM

Not strictly. It is true that TWF can work quite well with the dervish, but the only actual ability that backs this up is the one that allows a dervish to treat a scimitar as a light weapon, which works just as well for allowing them to use Weapon Finesse with it as it does for TWF with them.
Also of note, however: TWF with a swordsage is almost as awesome as TWF with a Rogue, more so when Inferno Blade, Raging Mongoose and Time Stands still can come online.

Snowbluff
2012-10-30, 01:43 PM
It's not worth it. You have Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw as schools, which make the Dervish obsolete, IIRC.

Eldariel
2012-10-30, 02:37 PM
The biggest problem with the Dervish are the entry requirements. If you can swing those, it can be alright. It doesn't advance maneuvers, granted, but it does gain numerical advantages for what that's worth, and full attack + movement earlier and less conditionally than straight Swordsage does (granted, with Strikes you don't really need it as much).

But yeah, Dervish has higher To Hit, AC, Move Speed and perhaps damage too, if using appropriate Boosts, than a straight Swordsage for a while but you need to invest 4 feats 3 of which are relatively useless, and it's a hefty level investment (especially since you want ~7 levels in Dervish just to gain sufficient number of uses of Dervish Dance to last you an average adventuring day). Straight Swordsage is stronger but SS/Dervish isn't terrible though it does give more to a TWF build than a THF build (especially since THF build probably wants to be using charges to a degree anyways and those are mutually exclusive with Dervish Dance).