PDA

View Full Version : Questionable fun with questionable golem armour.

Doorhandle
2012-10-30, 06:21 AM
I have a cunning plan, but instead of explaining it straight away, I offer these materials.

Construct Armor

Requirements: Craft Construct, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, animate objects, the construct modified must be the same size as the creator

CR increase: +1

Cost: 35,000 gp

This modification allows the construct to be worn like armor by its creator. So long as the creator wears it, the construct performs no independent actions, remaining under the control of the creator, and any attacks directed at the wearer first damage the construct. When a construct is destroyed while serving as armor, the wearer loses all the benefits, but regains all the hindrances until the armor is removed, which takes the same amount of time that removing breastplate armor does. If the construct is still active, the creator can order the removal of the armor with a swift action, at which point the construct leaves the creator’s space and enters a space adjacent to the creator. Donning construct armor takes a full-round action if the construct is still active. The creator cannot don a construct with this modification if the construct has been destroyed. The construct’s wearer retains his base attacks and saves. Construct armor counts as breastplate armor for purposes of determining AC, weight, Dexterity modifiers to AC, and chance of arcane spell failure.

Adamantine Golem
This huge construct of black metal is all spikes and armor, save for several forge-like stacks that burn atop its crown and back.
CR 19
N Huge construct
Init –1; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +0
DEFENSE
AC 33, touch 7, flat-footed 33 (–1 Dex, +26 natural, –2 size)
hp 205 (30d10+40); fast healing 10
Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +10
Defensive Abilities indestructible; DR 15/epic; Immune construct traits, magic

Indestructible (Ex)

An adamantine golem is nearly impossible to destroy. Even if reduced below 0 hit points, its fast healing continues to restore hit points, though the golem is helpless unless above 0 hit points. It can only be permanently destroyed if reduced to negative hit points and then decapitated using an adamantine vorpal weapon—alternatively, miracle or wish can be used to slay it while it is at negative hit points.

Immunity to Magic (Ex)

An adamantine golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance, except as noted below.

• Transmute metal to wood slows an adamantine golem for 1d4 rounds, during which time its damage reduction is reduced to 15/adamantine (no save).

CONSTRUCTION

Requirements Craft Construct, crushing hand, geas/quest, heal, stoneskin, wish, creator must be caster level 20th; Skill Craft (sculpture) DC 35; Cost 350,000 gp

Simple Template: Young (CR –1)

Rebuild Rules

Size decrease by one category; AC reduce natural armor by –2 (minimum +0); Attacks decrease damage dice by 1 step; Ability Scores –4 Strength, –4 Con, +4 size bonus to Dex.

So, Let's see here.
Step 0: Permanence enlarge person on yourself. Makes next step easier/more powerful.
Step 1: Craft an adamantite golem, applying the young template as necessary beforehand to it fits your size. (note: smaller golems =cheaper)
step 2: apply construct-armor modifier, plus more of your choice.
step 3: Wear your adorable beastie.
step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit!

You now have an ablative shield of several dozen/hundred hit points, that constantly rebuilds itself and has absurd D.R.
It's immune to most spells and effects, making you immune to almost effect requiring a touch attack of any kind.
The armour is also, by R.A.W, immune being sundered, and basically impossible to remove, as even if it's destroyed temporally it will just regenerate back on you short of a wish/vorpal admamandite sword.

For bet results, apply golem armour to a Magus (no need for arcane armour proficiency), but a wizard has better access to the entry feat/golem-making instructions, and a witch better access to the spells needed. A divine caster may also be able to get away with this.

Thoughts on this neat (but hideously expensive) trick?

Kazyan
2012-10-30, 06:31 AM
If you're a caster, why do you need to wear an adamantine golem to be unkillable?

docnessuno
2012-10-30, 06:45 AM
Also, applying the young template to inanimated creatures is arguable.

danzibr
2012-10-30, 06:58 AM
Also, applying the young template to inanimated creatures is arguable.
Yeah. I agree. As a DM I'd let it go, but not sure how RAW it is. Is that all the template says?

You could also start as a large creature then get up to huge. That'd be cool.

ojayaba
2012-10-30, 09:13 AM
so, where are construct armor and young templates found?
this makes me curious now as well...

Alleran
2012-10-30, 09:30 AM
If you're a caster, why do you need to wear an adamantine golem to be unkillable?
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Ravens_cry
2012-10-30, 09:48 AM
Pathfinder has Construct Armour. It's not a Mecha so mcuh as Iron Man but still pretty awesome (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs), basically giving you a bunch of hitpoints.

docnessuno
2012-10-30, 10:19 AM
Pathfinder has Construct Armour. It's not a Mecha so mcuh as Iron Man but still pretty awesome (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs), basically giving you a bunch of hitpoints.

Let me guess, you are talking about this one?

Construct Armor

Requirements: Craft Construct, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, animate objects, the construct modified must be the same size as the creator

CR increase: +1

Cost: 35,000 gp

This modification allows the construct to be worn like armor by its creator. So long as the creator wears it, the construct performs no independent actions, remaining under the control of the creator, and any attacks directed at the wearer first damage the construct. When a construct is destroyed while serving as armor, the wearer loses all the benefits, but regains all the hindrances until the armor is removed, which takes the same amount of time that removing breastplate armor does. If the construct is still active, the creator can order the removal of the armor with a swift action, at which point the construct leaves the creator’s space and enters a space adjacent to the creator. Donning construct armor takes a full-round action if the construct is still active. The creator cannot don a construct with this modification if the construct has been destroyed. The construct’s wearer retains his base attacks and saves. Construct armor counts as breastplate armor for purposes of determining AC, weight, Dexterity modifiers to AC, and chance of arcane spell failure.

Kazyan
2012-10-30, 05:22 PM
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Oh, it's not that--because I agree; they totally are--it's that it seems a little convoluted when you can instead <insert one of ∞ different ways previously discovered for a caster to win at everything automatically>.

Snowbluff
2012-10-30, 06:13 PM

Hmm... maybe it would be cost effective to make Effigy Creatures as constructs for use as armor. They are relatively cheap.

Augmental
2012-10-30, 06:39 PM
Oh, it's not that--because I agree; they totally are--it's that it seems a little convoluted when you can instead <insert one of ∞ different ways previously discovered for a caster to win at everything automatically>.

The more ways a caster has to win at everything, the better.

Medic!
2012-10-30, 07:27 PM
Or just con/trick your DM into letting you get An Epic Level Major Artifact (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#golemArmor) and buy a Ring of Arming =D

Snowbluff
2012-10-30, 07:31 PM
Or just con/trick your DM into letting you get An Epic Level Major Artifact (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#golemArmor) and buy a Ring of Arming =D
So... you'd have the Flash's suit mixed with Iron Man's armor? :smallwink:

Doorhandle
2012-10-30, 08:48 PM
Adamantite golem is in bestiary 2 or 3, while the golem armour modification is found within ultimate magic. Both are the pathfinder versions, and can be found in the standard reference document.

As for why, it's totally awesome. Also, golems can't be dispelled, and this suit of armour fixes itself, not to metion the host of immumites it has.

Also, if you use the "shield guardian" extra on your golem-suit, you can also transfer what little damage you do take toward the golem.

So... you'd have the Flash's suit mixed with Iron Man's armor? :smallwink:

...ouch.

Also, young template doesn't just have to be a creature that is younger, it could also represent a creature that is just small, for whatever reason. Also, the start large/become huge idea also sounds great: Ogre wizard, here we come!

The Redwolf
2012-10-30, 11:35 PM
Also, young template doesn't just have to be a creature that is younger, it could also represent a creature that is just small, for whatever reason. Also, the start large/become huge idea also sounds great: Ogre wizard, here we come!

I'd say that's a very good point to make, they even state it outright on the Jabberwocks, "Alternatively, you can apply the young creature simple template, but bear in mind that such a monster isn’t technically any younger than a typical jabberwock." That implies you can in fact put the young template on things to simply make a more minor version of them rather than something that's actually younger.

I think you've found something nice here, but honestly just having a reasonable DM who'll let you use construct armor in more versatile ways is easier. In our current campaign my friend had me help him build a ratfolk alchemist who runs around in a suit of large construct armor. He basically controls it from inside the chest cavity using some system or another. The DM thought it was awesome and allowed it, and if we reach a high enough level for him to make an adamantine golem (we're 17) then he'd have no trouble being allowed to do so. So your method helps if you don't have a DM who like fun interpretation, but that is the easier situation by far.

Doorhandle
2012-10-31, 12:12 AM
Speaking of loose interpretations...

Construct armor counts as breastplate armor for purposes of determining AC, weight, Dexterity modifiers to AC, and chance of arcane spell failure.

...So would it count as a mithril breastplate if you used a mythril golem? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/golem/golem-mithral?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2 F) :smallbiggrin:

More seriously, I think another useful thing to do would be to make a teeny-tiny golem and then put it on your arm using the construct-limb modification:

Construct Limb

Requirements: Craft Construct, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, animate objects, Small or Tiny construct

CR increase: none

Cost: 27,000 gp

This modification can be performed on a Small or Tiny construct, such as an iron cobra or a homunculus. The creator modifies the construct such that she can slip it over her arm and control its actions as part of her own. The construct limb retains any melee attacks that the construct has, and the creator can use special attacks as if she were the construct (using the construct’s attack statistics and effects), but treat the creator as the creature making attacks for the purpose of determining attacks of opportunity and other actions that could be triggered by an attack made by the creator.

The limb also provides the wearer with limited protection in combat, roughly equivalent to that of a heavy steel shield. The wearer is considered proficient in this shield. The wearer retains the remainder of her abilities.

A construct limb counts as a heavy steel shield for purposes of determining AC, weight, Dexterity modifiers to AC, and chance of arcane spell failure

My idea was to use a cannon golem with this idea to shoot things, a fossil golem for petrification, or an iron golem for the breath weapon: Do you guys have anything?

Also, animated glove + this mod = major whoppass, potentially.

Ravens_cry
2012-10-31, 07:44 AM
Speaking of loose interpretations...
..So would it count as a mithril breastplate if you used a mythril golem? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/golem/golem-mithral?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2 F) :smallbiggrin:

I wondered that too. Makes a good deal of sense to me to be honest, and unlike the shield example, it doesn't specify the material of the armour, so, why the heck no?

Yes. I couldn't see a link to Construct Armour directly unfortunately, so I apologize for any confusion.

Hunter Noventa
2012-10-31, 08:15 AM
One character in my current campaign has five of these. Not the adamantine golem specifically, but five construct armoprs. Piloted by his cohorts.

They're basically a Sentai Team. They also can transform into jets and combine into one really big construct.

It's pretty awesome.

Construct armor overall is insanely cool, but like was said above, I don't think the young template is appropriate really. Still, I don't see much reason you couldn't just build the golem smaller for a lesser cost and apply the normal size category penalites/bonuses.

Kazyan
2012-10-31, 05:59 PM
Hmm... maybe it would be cost effective to make Effigy Creatures as constructs for use as armor. They are relatively cheap.

Oh my. Mass-produced animal-armor for the rest of the party.

"HERE'S YOUR BEAR. PUT IT ON. NO TIME TO EXPLAIN"

Snowbluff
2012-10-31, 06:32 PM

OMG ahahahaha. :smallbiggrin:
I have to do this now!

Coidzor
2012-10-31, 06:35 PM

So we just need a way to make the effigies bigger, able to combine into a larger composite creature, and be able to wear/pilot them while still medium-sized and we have zords.

At the least we'd have zoids.

Doorhandle
2012-10-31, 11:53 PM

...*PLOTLINE FUEL*

..Then again, for me, everything is fuel for something...

anyway+, on the comment I made on animate objects and construct-arms, it mentions in the rules that you can craft an animate object like any other object, and that you can have a tiny/small object with extra Construction-points at a rate of 2/per C.R.

So:
1. Acquire small-sized animated object, with construct limb modification. Apply construction flaws of clunky, cloth, and slower (It's never leaving our arm, so this is O.K.)
2. Spend 4 CP on: improved attack, slicing/Perice attack, reach (2-point version) and argument critical.
3. Acquire as many addition natural attacks/burn features as you can possibly afford.
4. Depending on what modifiers do and do-not stack, this could lead to 10+ slam attacks with 10d6 burn.