PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Average Joes, D&D 3.5 Experts

Malachite
2012-10-30, 03:00 PM
The village of Lower Stowford in western Canadia grew up where what became the Great Trade Road crosses the fledgling river Stow, though the ford has long been replaced by a cobblestone bridge. To the north, the road eventually passes through the ancient Laculis Forest into the harsh, frozen mountains of Calthoras, where it ends at the ironstone walls of Ionafis. Caravans carrying valuable mythril travel south through Canadia and into the rich pastures of Serlithania, trading for meat, livestock and other goods to bring back to embattled Calthoras. A few select merchants are even permitted to enter the elven nation of Kalantar, who highly prize the metal for its strength and low weight.

Of course, Canadia profits from the route as well. Agricultural goods feed Calthoran knights and Serlithanian purebreds alike, just as rich iron reserves feed the war efforts against the hordes of the Northernlands and the lackeys of the Pirate King in the south. Villages such as Lower Stowford have prospered, able to supplement their income by catering to the needs of travellers.

The seasons are turning and tonight is the Feast of Wolthin, the last day of Autumn, when folks celebrate a hard year’s preparation and have one last party before settling in for the storms that roll down from the north. The Flaming Archbishop Inn and Thirsty Merchant Tavern are competing for business, both in drawing patrons inside and in supplying the many colourful food-stalls and tents which have been thrown up on the village common.

By whatever means, you have all ended up here as the sky grows dim – pressing further on would be foolish. With the Capraht border forests a scant ten miles from the road, travel at night is a dangerous business.

Zdrak
2012-10-30, 06:37 PM
Maris

So you think you've got a quick eye? You may very well be right! Come one, come all, to play the three-card-dragon, the chance of a lifetime to get rich! A flamboyantly-dressed man with wild hair was calling out all comers, as he shuffled three cards on top of a hollow box. Flipping one face up, he quickly showed the picture of a red dragon, while the other two cards, which he flipped next, showed black dragons. One silver is the bet, one silver! Watch closely, watch carefully, the hand is quick, but your eye might be quicker.

With lightning speed, three face-down cards slid to and fro atop the box. Now, who wants to take a swing at the red dragon? One silver to play, one silver to win. You sir? Or maybe you, milady, and if I may add, you look absolutely ravishing today! That's the kind of face worthy of a red dragon's grace! One silver to play, one silver to win!

Malachite
2012-10-30, 08:05 PM
Maris

A young man wearing merchant's attire wanders past your box, a dark-haired lady laughing on one arm and a wineskin held in the other. She glances over at you and smiles as she sees the cards sliding past each other.
"Benet, you have a good eye. Let's have a go at the cards."
Benet looks you over, eyes narrowing a little. He digs a silver out of his belt pouch and turns it between his fingers for a second before placing it down deliberately.
"Alright, let's see what you can do. Deal them."

Toska Moriarty
2012-10-30, 09:14 PM
Corin Cimmeria

Towards the outskirts of town, far enough that the festivities are only mild
voices on the wind, a hammer falls heavily, steadily onto hot steel at a local forge. A stern, weather-worn face pounds away, massive mallet landing precise, powerful blows onto the steel he was working, the entire mostly-open-air room lit as much by the falling moonlight as the glowing forge.

Pausing a moment to wipe his brow, the smith grunts toward the center of town, vaguely insulting anyone who would be participating in merriment. Winter was coming, and there would be no time for joy then. Grunting again, he returns to his work. Hammer keeping a rhythmic, constant beat, only barely audible any further into the town.

Malachite
2012-10-31, 10:11 AM
Maris

Benet's eyes fix on the red dragon card like a dog's on a ball, following its movements back and forth. After a few moments and a deft false switch, though, you are convinced you have lost him. Sure enough, he reaches forward and smiles as he taps the leftmost card, face quickly turning to a scowl as he turns it over to reveal one of the blacks. He stares at you for a moment, then turns over the remaining cards to assure himself you haven't cheated and is slightly mollified upon finding that the red dragon is, in fact, still on the table.

For a moment he looks as though he will have another go, but the the woman at his side takes his arm again and points further on.
"Oh well. Come on, let's get one of those apple cakes. I do like them."
Benet shrugs and the pair wander away to the next stall.

Zdrak
2012-10-31, 07:25 PM
Maris bows to the couple as they take their leave, and pockets the silver coin. Having done enough sleight of hand for one day, he puts the cards back in the deck, calls for his parrot and stands up to stretch his legs a bit. Walking around the carnival, he looks for a place where he can buy a small treat for the bird. Gryff, as if able to read his master's thoughts, chitters excitedly.

Noctemwolf
2012-10-31, 11:40 PM
Siel Skyfallen

The dark skies above held little fascination for Siel this night. Instead, it was the festivities around him that held his rapt attention. His boss, the ever practical John Strolgarde, was busy selling the good he had bought in Kalantar. Small trinkets and exotic foods and spices were amongst the many items he was selling, for more than he would have fetched for them elsewhere.

"Only for a limited time! I'm not made of this stuff, ya know!"

Siel held in a sigh. Though he wasn't born or raised in Kalantar, the very idea that items from his people were being sold as curiosities was somewhat unsettling. Still, he spoke nothing of it, and simply watched the surrounding people with interest. His work would come later, once everything died down and it was time to tally up the profits. In the meantime, he was allowed to wander, though he didn't stray far from the cart. Nearby, a strangely dressed man shuffled cards, challenging any comer to the game of chance he offered. further down the street, a man was showing his skills at fire dancing, the pole he used lit on both sides as he spun it with expert precision.

Siel readjusted his cloak, sitting the clasp in a more comfotable position across his left breast. the noise and general merriment stirred something within him, a desire to simply be part of the crowd and to enjoy the varied events being offered. But something else held him back. Perhaps it was his lack of social experice, or maybe just a lack of self-confidence.

A clearly dunken man stumbled up to him, mumbled something about Siel's method of holding his daggers on his hat being strange, before zig-zagging his way back down the street. Siel gave a wry grin before moving closer to one of the food stalls. The noodle and cheese sauce the man offered was enticing to his rumbling belly.

"How much?"

Malachite
2012-11-01, 12:47 PM
Siel

"Nothing to you, sir," the stall-holder replies, touching his forehead. "I've a soft spot for the elves, I have, ever since one cured me daughter. A good evening to you, sir, and a good journey on the morn!"

Maris

You find a stall selling nuts and seeds which seems a good place - Gryff certainly seems excited. A deep blue-robed man has had the same idea, passing some seeds up to the raven sitting on his shoulder. He smiles as he turns and sees you.

"A fine bird you have there," he says. "Does he talk?"

Zdrak
2012-11-01, 01:02 PM
Like most of us, when the muse hits. Gryff, say something clever. Maris pets the bird's beak and tosses him a nut.

Gryff quickly gobbles up the treat, leans his head to the side, and cackles, the weather is nice.

Noctemwolf
2012-11-01, 09:35 PM
Siel

"Nothing to you, sir," the stall-holder replies, touching his forehead. "I've a soft spot for the elves, I have, ever since one cured me daughter. A good evening to you, sir, and a good journey on the morn!"

"Thank you, sir." Siel says, gratefully accepting the bowl and fork from the vendor before starting to eat.

"So," Siel says, clearing his throat, "Do you live here? Or are you a passing merchant?"

It wasn't the first time he had been here, but it was the first time he had ever had both opportunity and desire to explore. He knew very little of the people that lived and worked here, save what he had learned through what books and legal records he had perused in his spare time.

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-01, 09:56 PM
Corin

The dull, constant hammering stops abruptly, though amongst the festivities it would be hardly noticed. Sinking the blade into a bucket of ice-cold water, the air sizzles around the grizzled blacksmith. Frowning to himself as the steam filled his shop, it is only moments later that the blade is drawn, violently, from the large bucket, spun about and swung in the same fashion a foreign soldier would have performed a weapons drill, before being laid, gingerly, onto the nearby table.
------
------
Grunting to himself, the smith cuts the last piece of leather that he had used to wrap the blade, securing and tucking the strip back into a proper handle. Sliding the blade into a well-oiled, equally cared for sheathe, he grunts to himself, rough voice registering as just a bit more than a growl:

"Good enough for any guardsman..."

Setting the completed blade down on his table, he moves about the shop, closing the light wooden blinds as the coals simmer into duller shades of orange. Before they even become completely cool, he has closed and locked the door behind him, walking quietly toward the town. The large, otherwise imposing figure kept his coat drawn tight and made a beeline, right through the center road, parting crowds and couples alike, before turning into his favorite tavern. There was something poetic about a 'Flaming Archbishop', anyway.

Malachite
2012-11-02, 08:40 AM
Maris

The other man laughs.
"Yes, it is. Isn't it, Echemmon?"

The raven at his shoulder tilts its head to the side for a moment.
"I'm not sure what you're trying to prove," it says slowly. "But yes, it's alright for this time of year. Not too cold."
It fixes you with a beady black eye.
"I do apologise. He's always showing off."

The wizard sneers mockingly and wanders off towards the tavern. In hindsight, his earlier laughter seems a little cruel.

Siel

Lived here all my life," the stall-holder replies proudly. "Married myself an Upper Stowford lass and brought her down here where the trading's better. 'Course, we have to nip back up to the fort there once in a while when the orc bastards come east." He spits in disgust. "The goblins we deal with ourselves. It was one of those that nearly got Hanni."

Corin

The tavern is busy with people drinking and eating, hot after the coolness of the evening air - though not compared to the ferocious forge-heat of earlier. To the one side two large, bearded men are having a drinking contest while onlookers cheer them on. On the other, a group of halflings are playing some kind of board game and trying to ignore the shifty glances they are receiving from some of the other patrons. Up by the bar a blue-robed man with a bird on his shoulder seems to be asking whether he can find some female company, and all the while two harried-looking barmaids dodge between the tables and the odd reaching hand to deliver tin mugs of beer and cider.

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-02, 03:19 PM
Corin

Looking about, the large blacksmith grunts again; these people were nearly out of control. He couldn't see the guardsman for whom he had forged that longsword, and tonight wasn't to be one where company is needed. Shrugging his way through the room, letting the barmaids pass him whenever he was able to do so, the large man sits himself on one of the bar stools, casually shouldering his way between some of the men, whom he recognized from town, and the man in the fancy dress. Nodding at the bartender he puts down several silvers: this was no doubt going to be a long night.

His usual on the table before him, he gruffly mutters "Thanks" before starting the first of many drinks. Tonight he'd try to get drunk enough to sleep all the way through the night.

Zdrak
2012-11-02, 04:02 PM
Maris

Maris shrugs off the showmanship of the wizard and his bird. Life's too short to worry about being upstaged. 'tis fine, Gryff. You did well. He feeds the bird another nut, just as he catches a conversation fragment about orcs and goblins, and turns to the elf and human having this conversation. That dangerous, eh? Well, I hope Hanni got better.

NeoStriker
2012-11-02, 08:52 PM
Rashe

A woman gowned in a dark red dress enters the Flaming Archbishop Inn and quickly makes her way toward the bar, practically hunched over with a leather cloak and hood over her, pressing curls of hazel hair over her eyes. Light from the candles briefly shine through her garments, exposing the low neckline on her dress and skin the color of cinnamon.

She takes a seat at the counter while speaking with levity in a voice as soft as velvet, "Evening, Sir Bartender, I'm afraid the night's gotten too chilly for me, could I get a mug of rum to warm me up?"

She places a silver on the counter before downing the mug in one sitting and saying, "By the gods that's strong stuff. Let me get another, Sir Bartender".

She continues to drink and overhears a man in blue robes with a raven on his shoulder asking for "female company"; too bad she decided to take the day off for the festival. Or wait, was she supposed to take advantage of the festivities? Well, all day she's done nothing but read and maybe go vist a friend or two.

'I need a hobby, like, adventuring or something. I hear those guys do pretty good.', she thinks to herself before downing another mug. She turns to a man beside her who looks like a blacksmith and had apparently just gotten off work and asks, "Pardon me, sir, but what would you suggest as a hobby for a young woman like me?"

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-02, 10:56 PM
Corin

Polishing off his mug and steadily placing it onto the bar, the grizzled blacksmith turns his head to appraise the woman. Looking her over He smirks to himself before lifting his now-refilled drink.

"For one? You should try eating more. Could help cut out the cold." Sipping at the drink, he turns more completely towards her.

"Maybe one of the stall vendors has something to cover you up better. Unless you don't mind both eyes and wind running you through."

Pausing in a very serious, 'I am dissapointed in you, child' way, he stares almost through her, as sternly as humanly possible. This holds for just over a few seconds before the man bursts into deep, roaring laughter, turning back to the bar, and taking down the second drink.

NeoStriker
2012-11-03, 10:40 AM
Rashe

She laughs as well, a good hearty laugh, and says, "And you look like you could use a bath. Or is looking like a bum your hobby?"

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-03, 11:28 AM
Corin

Grunting off that last comment, he puts down an emptied mug. Next to it, he also leaves another few silvers.

"Barman! Another one for me an' the witty woman."

Taking up his newest drink, he downs it completely, finally starting to feel the effects of the alcohol over the lingering heat from the forge. He turns to the woman again. Chuckles heartily. Then stands and walks out of the bar.

"And you may want to watch yer tongue, too lassie. Never know who else might be."

Malachite
2012-11-03, 03:20 PM
Siel and Maris

"Aye, I was just saying to master elf here that one of his kind healed her. A priest of Wolithi, headed up north to support the Star Knights in Calthoras."
He stirs his pot of cheese sauce for a moment.
"When you head on, keep an eye on the road as well as the woods to your west. There's all sorts out there. Not all monsters are monstrous and not all men aren't, if you know what I mean."

Corin and Rashe

As you drink, the robed man draws a blonde girl upstairs. Both of them wear an unsubtle grin. The raven, meanwhile, hops onto the bar and provides the landlord with some degree of amusement by asking if he has any meat. A few bits of offal are provided, to the raven's obvious relish.

In the corner, a great cheer goes up as one of the competing drinkers sways, lurches to his feet and runs clumsily out of the door just as Corin gets up to leave. The splashing sound of violent vomiting leaves you in no doubt as to why.

Everyone Make me a listen check. :smalltongue:

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-04, 12:55 PM
Corin

Laughing again, more at the man who sped out before him than the girl this time, Corin adjusts his large, rough coat against the oncoming cold, opens the door of the 'Flaming Archbishop', and steps out into the street, avoiding the fresh stains on the ground, if possible.

Noctemwolf
2012-11-04, 10:50 PM
Maris

Maris shrugs off the showmanship of the wizard and his bird. Life's too short to worry about being upstaged. 'tis fine, Gryff. You did well. He feeds the bird another nut, just as he catches a conversation fragment about orcs and goblins, and turns to the elf and human having this conversation. That dangerous, eh? Well, I hope Hanni got better.

Siel and Maris

"Aye, I was just saying to master elf here that one of his kind healed her. A priest of Wolithi, headed up north to support the Star Knights in Calthoras."
He stirs his pot of cheese sauce for a moment.
"When you head on, keep an eye on the road as well as the woods to your west. There's all sorts out there. Not all monsters are monstrous and not all men aren't, if you know what I mean."

Siel listen to the two quietly, taking another bite out of his noodle bowl. "My brethren were very kind to do such a thing, then. And I'll be sure to keep my eyes open. I suppose I have been... blessed, to have not come across much trouble, though I admit I've only worked for my current master for a few short months. Who knows? maybe some excitement will come my way." He's says this, smiling in a way that says he heavily doubted his words.He then looks to the newcomer for a moment. "You wouldn't, by any chance, be the man who was just shuffling cards back there, were you?"

Zdrak
2012-11-05, 12:14 PM
Aye, that was me. Maris nods, and eventhough he promised to himself no more work today, instinct takes over. Your people are known for their keen eyesight, I heard. Would you like to have it a go? This just might be your lucky day, master Elf.

Malachite
2012-11-05, 01:32 PM
Rashe only:
Something about the robed man's face seems to make you uneasy as he leads the girl upstairs. You're not sure what. Perhaps it's the smile not quite reaching his eyes or the slight curl of a lip, yu aren't sure. Call it instinct based on experience. A few minutes later you hear a cry, quickly cut off and barely audible over the noise in the room. It doesn't sound like a cry of passion, real or feigned, but a cry of pain. No one else seems to have noticed.

Corin only:
As you leave the tavern, the noise of the common room dies away a little, most people now indoors or over near the stalls on the green. A boy stands outside the tavern looking morose and holding a board advertising the price for a room. Through an open upstairs window you hear a short cry - sounds like the two upstairs are having fun.

Noctemwolf
2012-11-05, 02:27 PM
Aye, that was me. Maris nods, and eventhough he promised to himself no more work today, instinct takes over. Your people are known for their keen eyesight, I heard. Would you like to have it a go? This just might be your lucky day, master Elf.

Siel smiled a little. He loved games.

"I don't see why not. Siel, by the way," he says, extending his gloved hand to Maris for a handshake.

Zdrak
2012-11-05, 03:39 PM
I'm Maris, pleasure to make your aquaitance. The flamboyantly-dressed entertainer accepts the handshake with a smile and sets up his box. Sitting by it crosslegged, he flips face-up three cards, one red and two blacks, then reverts them and performs the customary dance-shuffle with overhand false switch. He hopes the Elf didn't see such moves in his homeland...

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-05, 04:26 PM
Corin

The large blacksmith snorts at the two upstairs: Hope she was worth the price.
Looking up and down the street to make sure he's not being observed, the giant man walks over to the small boy, handing him a copper piece.
"'Ere. Get somethin' to warm yerself against the cold, laddie."

He looks around again before adding: "And keep yer chin up. You don' have it all that bad."

Turning away, he begins to slowly trot off down the street, large shoulders and high mane of thick fur from his coat hiding his face as best he can. He couldn't help but shed a few tears: The little bugger managed to bring to mind his own boy, his little, innocent, Conan.

Grunting the memories away and wiping off the tears, he continues his march past the cardshark, no doubt about to ripoff another tourist, as he headed toward the forge. Perhaps pounding out some steel through the night would help ease his mind?

Noctemwolf
2012-11-05, 09:29 PM
I'm Maris, pleasure to make your aquaitance. The flamboyantly-dressed entertainer accepts the handshake with a smile and sets up his box. Sitting by it crosslegged, he flips face-up three cards, one red and two blacks, then reverts them and performs the customary dance-shuffle with overhand false switch. He hopes the Elf didn't see such moves in his homeland...

Siel follows Maris' hands, watching the cards intently.
"So, I find which one is the Red, correct?" He promptly points to the card on the left. "There." Having chosen the card that would have been right - If not for the little trick.

Zdrak
2012-11-06, 11:46 AM
Maris grins and decides against collecting payment. After all, first time he met an Elf, and this new friendship might be more expensive than silver. Maybe he can hoodwink his new acquaitance for a whole gold some other time ... Aw, bad luck. Well, this one's on the house, he smiles and puts the deck back in his pocket.

NeoStriker
2012-11-06, 06:01 PM
'What was that?, Rashe thinks to herself. She looks around her and no one else seems to have noticed the cry. She then looks towards the stairs and decides to investigate.

Noctemwolf
2012-11-06, 08:37 PM
Siel Skyfallen

Maris grins and decides against collecting payment. After all, first time he met an elf, and this new friendship might be more expensive than silver. Maybe he can hoodwink his new acquaintance for a whole gold some other time ... "Aw, bad luck. Well, this one's on the house," he smiles and puts the deck back in his pocket.

Siel looks dumbfounded for a moment. "I could have sworn that was the right card..." He looks up to Maris' eyes, a look of comprehension coming over him. He smiles, and gives a small chuckle. "There's more to your card game than meets first glance. I'll need to watch a little closer next time."

Malachite
2012-11-07, 09:43 AM
Rashe

The barman is too distracted by his many customers to notice you move toward the stairs. A number of doors lead off from the landing above, but only one sounds like anyone is behind it. The door opens easily to a scene of horror - the girl from before lies on the bed, the silver wire-wrapped hilt of a knife protruding from her chest just below the ribs. Blood bubbles from her mouth as she convulses slightly with each short breath, and her eyes stare wildly at the ceiling. Beside her, the now disrobed man bends over her and places a small jewelled object the size of a thumb at the base of her neck.

He catches a glimpse of you out of the corner of his eye and looks up, face suddenly contorted by rage. His eyes flick to the pouch resting on the side table.

Roll initiative. :smallamused:

Corin

"Thank you, sir," the boy says politely, simultaneously happy and frustrated. "But I'll get a good hiding if I leave before Hedda tells me I can. It's very kind of you though."

Siel and Maris

The noodle-seller looks so surprised at the outcome of the game that his eyebrows appear to be trying to escape his face.
"You have fast hands indeed, sir, if they can beat the eyes of an elf!" he says in awe. His eyes narrow a little. "That is... it was done honestly, was it not?"

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-07, 02:39 PM
OOC: Retroactively editing previous two paragraphs out since the boy is conversing and leaving now would be rude.

Corin

"Well child, keep your head up and face the cold proudly. Don't let it think you are weak. Laugh, if you can. You are stronger than some simple wind, no?"

The blacksmith leans back, a great booming laugh escaping him as he watches the boys expression. Several seconds later, he wipes his face (not changing it's thin layer of blackened ash) and reaches out, tousling the kid's hair.

"Stay out of this Hedda's way if you can, laddie. Make sure any 'hidings' you take were worth it."

Sighing, and looking up and down the street, he smiles suddenly, as if remembering something.

"Tell ya what, laddie. You keep up your watch here, and if you're still standing tall when I get back, I'll bring ya some nice, hot cider." With this, the smith winks, and walks back into the bar. Seeing as the woman he talked with before was gone, he simply trots across the room again and waves the barman over.

"I'm going to need a hot cider before I head out tonight... And one for the road, aswell. "

Zdrak
2012-11-07, 04:33 PM
"That is... it was done honestly, was it not?"
'dem are fighting words, and Maris will not let it slide. Of course it is, as your can easily verify for yourself, for just one gold . He winks at the merchant and idly plays with the deck, still in his pocket. Put up or shut up.

Malachite
2012-11-07, 07:07 PM
Corin

The boy's back straightens and his eyebrows furrow as you talk to him, and he tries to laugh along with you. His smile is genuine when you mention hot cider though - from the cheeky look in his eye you sense he might not normally be allowed it.
"Thank you, mister!" he says. "I'll not be weak, you'll see I won't!"

Maris

The merchant swallows carefully. "Didn't mean anything by it, sir. A gold's half my night's profit. I might wager a silver or two like the rest, but my missus would have my hide if she found out I'd bet a gold."
He slides out a silver.
"I'll play your game, but I fear my eyes won't be as fast as this gentleman's."

NeoStriker
2012-11-08, 10:57 AM
Rashe

Rashe looks at the knife sticking out of the other woman's stomach, the blood dribbling out of her mouth, and then at the man bending over her who looks like a bear disturbed from its' hibernation. She notices him glancing at a pouch on the side table and smiles and says, "Hey, you've got a nice little erotic play going on here. Don't worry, I don't judge. I'd join you, but today's my day off".

She then proceeds to get the **** out of there and find help.

Malachite
2012-11-08, 11:37 AM
Rashe

The man lunges for the pouch as you taunt him, scrabbling for something he can use. You hear the sound of desperate words spoken as you run down the stairs and feel a wave of fatigue wash over you, but it passes quickly and you stumble into the common room.

People look up at the you to see what the fuss is about.

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-08, 12:54 PM
Corin

Second drink of cider in hand and paid for, he looks quickly over his shoulder as he leaves the bar again. Seeing little but a panicked woman, the same from earlier, he can only assume someone had mistreated her. Leaning toward the boy, mug of cider in hand he mutters: "Remember what I told you, and don't drink this all at once." before turning around and re-entering the common room.

Standing amongst the crowd,as curious as the rest of them, he simply awaits an explanation, his own empty mug still in hand.

NeoStriker
2012-11-08, 03:50 PM
Rashe

'Now how can I turn a profit from this... I could go back to the weirdo and blackmail him... No, that's too risky. Oh, I could say he stole something from me. Even if he protests, who's going to believe him when he looks like that? Let's see, how much gold should I get out of this...'

Rashe points toward upstairs and with a panicked expression on her face she exclaims, "My friend and I accompanied a man upstairs when suddenly he pulled out a knife and stabbed her! I barely managed to escape, at the loss of my prized possessions; somebody please, help!"

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-08, 06:47 PM
Corin

The large blacksmith shoves his way through the crowd toward the stairs, his size and momentum knocking those that don't move aside or out of the way. He shoves past the girl aswell, no doubt also accompanied by several other men. As he passes her on the stairs, he mutters only two gruff words:

"Which room?"

Malachite
2012-11-09, 12:24 PM
Corin

As you reach the top of the stairs it becomes fairly obvious which room is the one in question by the sound of scraping furniture. The man inside has clearly decided to barricade the door.

"You bastard!" the barman shouts, right behind you and clutching a stout cudgel snatched from beneath the bar. "You'd better not have killed her or I'll rip your balls off and choke you with 'em! Hanni, are you alive in there?"

Rashe

It seemed impossible, but the tavern becomes even more chaotic at your announcement. A group of burly men rush for the stairs shouting obscenities, while another runs out the door in the direction of the market. The barmaids seem to be in shock, clutching hands to mouths and crying, while the land lady put an arm around your shoulders and draws you to one side.

"Here, you're safe now," she says kindly, trying to put on a brave face for you. "He can't hurt you now."

Siel and Maris

As you begin to switch the cards around on the table, some kind of commotion begins to arise in the nearby tavern. A young man runs out and heads straight for you.

"Caedrun!" he shouts, and the stall holder's head snaps up. "Caedrun, quick, some bastard's hurt Hanni!"

Even in the dim evening light you can see the older man's face pale, fear and anger warring for dominance. Fear wins. Cards and money forgotten, Caedrun pushes past you and races for the tavern.

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-09, 02:23 PM
Corin

"Hiding shows your guilt, man! If she's hurt: You're dead!"

Corins voice, tainted with the echo and spittle of burnt-out rage rises with the others amongst the crowd. Standing at the door he takes a single step back, before ramming it with his shoulder, all his weight behind it.

Strength Check: [roll0]

Malachite
2012-11-10, 08:59 AM
As Corin throws his weight against the door, he feels it give slightly, furniture sliding along the floor. Then sturdy arms grip around his shoulders and the bartender lends his strength to the task. The door bursts open under the combined power of the two, crushing a chair against the wall as they do so.

Corin gets just a glimpse of the now dis-robed man from earlier muttering and throwing some glittering powder into the air before everything explodes into blazing colour. The whirling lights threaten to overwhelm his senses, but he grits his teeth and pushes through. Some of the other men are less strong-willed. The bartender crashes to the floor, as do the two men following him in, but two more are sheltered in the stairwell and manage to keep their wits about them.

"Witchery!" one shouts, cowering back behind the wall.

The wizard sees Corin push through his spell and begins to look distinctly worried...

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-10, 01:07 PM
Corin

Corin blinks away the magic and even as the others become flustered, he pushes into the room. Taking in the ghastly scene just long enough to horrify himself, he charges into the room, swinging his mug at the offender's head.

"That's it, witch! Yer mine!!!"

So alright charging in (assuming we blasted the furniture out of the way) and, attacking with a mug...

[roll0] for the attack (+2 STR bonus,+0 BAB,-4 Improvised,+2 charge=+0)
... I'll assume the same as a gauntlet: [roll1]

Aaaaand a -2 to AC until my next turn.

Malachite
2012-11-10, 03:37 PM
The wizard steps back quickly, trying to escape Corin's charge, but comes up against the bed. His head begins to turn to look behind him just as an arm strengthened by long hours at the forge swings a heavy tankard at his face. The blow connects solidly, mug, cheek and jaw deforming from the force, and the wizard drops to the floorboards like a poleaxed cow. He is making a nasty gurgling sound when he tries to breath.

On the bed, Hanni's chest is still and her eyes have a glazed look to them. Blood still trickles from the blade wound in the chest, but the flow is slowing. At the base of her throat, Corin sees a small jewelled object the size of his thumb. A red glow is forming in the air around it.

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-10, 10:42 PM
Corin

Dropping the dented, bloodied mug onto the ground with a wettish 'clank', Corin turns for a moment to the stunned crowd behind him. "Well? Somebody help the girl! I'll grab the mage."

He takes another step into the room, crouching down over the man. A grim expression on his face, he wraps a burly hand around his throat, both feeling for a pulse and restraining him. He quickly looks around the room, keeping a firm grip without strangling. What the hell is that glowing thing? What was he DOING to her?

He shakes his head again, whispering to the still gurgling form in his hands: "If you tell us how to save her, I'll leave some of ya for prison."

Malachite
2012-11-11, 10:08 AM
The two men still out in the stairwell come into the room cautiously. The braver of the two walks over to Hanni and looks down at her, making sure not to get too close to the glowing thing as the red light coalesces into a ball before sinking back through the central gem.

"She's dead, guv," he says nervously. "Don't know what I can do to help her other than go dig her a grave."

The mage lies limp under Corin's hands, still choking on his own blood. Even if he weren't unconscious, it seems doubtful he could talk with his jaw smashed as it is.

On the bed, Hanni begins to move.

Noctemwolf
2012-11-13, 05:31 AM
Siel Skyfallen

Siel is surprised at the sudden movement.

"What's going on?" Siel asks Maris, looking at him questioningly before moving toward the Archbishop.

John stood in front of his cart, grumbling slightly about whatever was going on in the inn stealing his business.

It wasn't normally his place to stick his nose where it wasn't wanted. But he couldn't help himself this time. Whoever this Hanni was, she was important to the noodle-man, and he just had to know what was going on.

"I'll be out in a few!" Siel says to John as he moves through the front door of the inn. He quickly notices everyone gathered on the stairs.

He mills around, waiting to see what all the commotion was about, when he heard banging, and the cracking of wood.

"That, is not a good sign," Siel sighed. Someone was probably upset over something, and drunk to boot. That was the major reason he didn't touch the stuff. He had seen many drunkards in his time at the temple, and had no desire to be like those men and women he had seen.

NeoStriker
2012-11-15, 12:50 AM
Rashe

"Oh, it was so horrific, what he did to her. I can only hope she's still alive. I never would've imagined... I think I need some air", Rashe says before promptly exiting the inn. Outside when she thinks no one is looking, she lets out a well-sized sigh of relief before smirking.

'Just according to keikaku'.

Malachite
2012-11-15, 09:06 AM
Siel (and Maris, if he's still around :smalltongue:)

The scene inside the bar is one of confusion and grief rather than the raw aggression of a mass brawl. To one side a young lady in a red dress is being comforted by an older woman (while some of the barmaids are being 'comforted' by patrons), but she gets up and leaves the tavern almost as soon as you enter, another girl going after her

Ahead of you, Caedrun rushes up the stairs, pushing his way past one of the other men. A few seconds later, the sound of his shouts join the others in the upper room.

Rashe

The woman nods sympathetically and lets you go, though you hear her whisper "Make sure she's alright." to one of the barmaids. A moment later a girl in her late teens comes out after you.
"Are you alright, miss?" she asks. It's clear she's trying to hold back tears herself.

From inside the inn, the volume of shouting increases.

Corin

The man checking Hanni for signs of life jumps up as she begins to move jerkily, taking a few steps back with a cry of shock. For a second it seems like his voice has echoed, but then you see a wild-eyed man in his forties at the door, a food-stained apron covering his front.

"Hanni!" he shrieks, and rushes over to her, holding her face in his hands. "Someone help her!"

Hanni raises a hand and grips his forearm hard enough to bring a gasp of pain from the food vendor, who manages to twist his arm out of her grip.
"Someone bring a healer!" he shouts again frantically.

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-16, 07:47 AM
Corin

The burly Blacksmith stands, more interested in the events in the room than the near-dead man on the floor. The less time he had to look at the vile bastard, the more he might leave for the Watch.

Moving toward the vendor and the girl, Hanni, apparently. It was a name he recognized. Heard it around town no doubt. Regardless, she was standing and grabbing at her father, even though her wounds were...gruesome at the least. Moving around could make them worse. A wonder she survived at all.

"You lot heard the man! Healer! Quick!" He shouts at the doorway, booming voice carrying through the Inn. He places a hand on Hanni's shoulder... Touch Attack [roll0]
+0 Base, +2 STR, +2 Flank (With her father)

...and speaks to her: "Hanni, Calm down lass. We're going to make sure yer okay. Keep still. We're 'ere to help."

Malachite
2012-11-16, 05:12 PM
Hanni's eyes suddenly snap open, revealing orbs as black as the thing on her throat; from close up it looks like a small, engraved rectangle of onyx set with a red gemstone in the centre. Her right arm lashes out at her father, smashing him to the ground as if hit by a burly man with a club rather than a girl of barely 100lb.

He lies on the floor, tears still streaming down his face and obviously in too much shock to react appropriately - whatever that is when faced with a situation like this.

Noctemwolf
2012-11-16, 05:58 PM
Siel Skyfallen

"Hanni!" he shrieks, and rushes over to her, holding her face in his hands. "Someone help her!"

Hanni raises a hand and grips his forearm hard enough to bring a gasp of pain from the food vendor, who manages to twist his arm out of her grip.
"Someone bring a healer!" he shouts again frantically.

"You lot heard the man! Healer! Quick!"

Siel, hearing the call, decides it might be prudent to supply whoever had some kind of healing ability with the tools necessary to do their work.
He quickly moves out the door, past the young lady who ran out earlier, and over to John's stand.

"There's some kind of healing agent amongst the wares, right John?"

Siel begins to look through everything, trying to find either a healing kit, herbs, or perhaps something magical that has some ability to heal.

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-16, 10:42 PM
Corin

The blacksmith gasps, horrified by the sheer unnatural thing that stood before him. He takes a step back. Murderous old men he could handle, but htis? Demons? Black Magic? This witchcraft? Even SORCERY? Beyond his power to fight: He had tried it before, and failed there too.

He holds a hand up over his mouth, more a reaction to fear than any reasonable act. And she was strong, strong enough to throw her father about like a rag doll. Quickly, he looks about the room for something to use as a weapon. It would be ironic, atleast, that the man responsible for so many violent means to no-doubt violent ends, was caught without a tool he was able to forge nearly in his sleep.

Though....Wasn't there a dagger about here somewhere?

NeoStriker
2012-11-17, 03:05 PM
Rashe

Rashe looks over the girl and says, "I'll be fine for now. It just all happened so fast, but now that I can taste the crisp night air again I feel better. How about you?"

Malachite
2012-11-19, 07:34 AM
Siel

John nods. "Yes, we've got some medical supplies and a couple of healing potions for emergencies. Why? What's going on?"

Corin

The thing which was once Hanni lurches to its feet in a clumsy fashion quite at odds with the graceful girl you saw earlier. Its head hangs slackly on its left shoulder and it sways slightly before letting out a groan of pain.

On the floor, Caedrun the noodle-seller is still sobbing hysterically, and the other man has backed up to the doorway in horror.

Rashe

The girl looks back up at you and wipes away tears angrily with the back of her hand.
"I'm alive, I suppose. For now. If it's not monsters spawned in Capraht coming to kill us and destroy our homes, it's men like that drowson up there who think they're better than us and can do whatever they like.
"How can men act like that?" she asks you. "Why are some of them so cruel?"

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-19, 11:53 PM
Corin

Looking about the room in a horrified panic, but with the walking corpse between him and the door, not to mention her father useless in a heap on the floor (Eerily familiar, actually), Corin manages to get a glint of steel. Not on the floor, or bed, or torso, but lodged in the torso of the she-beast. If he's going to fight, he's going to need to grab that.

Whispering, "Crom guide me...." through gritted teeth, he steps forward and reaches for the hilt.

Noctemwolf
2012-11-20, 03:06 AM
Siel Skyfallen

"Oh, well, no reason," Siel says as he quickly scrummages what few healing potions he could find before quickly setting off for the inn again.

"I'll take this out of my pay!" he calls back to John, who more than likely would be cursing Siel out. Something about his 'usual antics.'

But the noodle man needed his help. He wasn't going to let his free bowl of food go unpaid for.

""Pardon me, ladies," Siel says as he passes two females outside the door.

Siel attempts to work his way up the stairs.

"Excuse me, coming though. I heard healing was needed, I have something that can help. Pardon..."

Malachite
2012-11-21, 07:15 AM
The men on the stairs quickly make way for Siel when he mentions healing, allowing the elf to reach the doorway to the room with no problems. Inside, the scene isn't quite what he was expecting - instead of an injured girl lying on a bed with Caedrun hovering over her, the noodle-seller is on the floor in hysterics, and a brawny-looking fellow is squaring off against what he immediately recognises is a zombie.

As Siel watches, Corin makes a quick lunge forward, trying to grab the dagger sticking out of the corpse's chest, but he only manages to get the tips of his fingers to it before he has to pull away to avoid being grabbed. The zombie lashes out with a surprisingly quick backhand in response, catching the blacksmith in the jaw and rocking him back a step or two.

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-21, 11:52 PM
Corin

There is no sound more instantly-recognizable than a bone being broken. This wasn't the smith's first, though it was a tad louder than others from how close the jaw is to the ears. Staggering back before catching himself, he does what he can to avoid grinning: Irony has managed to match his condition to the mage in the corner. Probably shouldn't have mentioned his god by name...

Grunting, angrily, though not quite enraged as he once would have been, Corin simply grabs at the ghoulish thing, now that more people were here, holding it down may be the best bet.

Noctemwolf
2012-11-22, 02:59 AM
Siel Skyfallen

Siel is taken aback by the sight. A zombie? In the inn? A quick look around the room, he sees a man in the corner, unconcious, while the noodle-seller lies on the ground, also apparently unconscious. Meanwhile, a large burly man was attempting to wrestle with the monster.

"What are you doing? That thing is dangerous!" Siel calls to the man.

Think, Siel, think. What can harm these monsters?

..."Siel? Are you paying attention?"
Siel awoke with a small snort, pushing his glasses up on his face as a blush worked it's way across his cheeks. the other kids laughed as he quickly looked up to the priest.
"Yes, sir! I was!" Siel threw out hastily, putting the bravest face on he could.
"Indeed?" The priest responded, looking at Siel with a resigned look on his face. "What, then, did I just say about undead creatures?"
"Um, that, they are made by, evil... things? And, um..." Siel sputtered out as the other's continued to laugh. A tap from the priest staff, and the room hushed slowly.
"Incorrect, Siel." The priest sighed. "Really, now, Siel, how do you expect to be of use to Zethos if you never pay any attention to your lessons?"
" 'm sorry, Siel mumbled.
"Let me repeat, then," the priest continued. "Zombies are a certain class of the walking dead that dark wizards and priests of unsortly gods can create and control. The best way to combat them, in addition to most other undead, is the use of Holy objects, like a weapons blessed by one of our clerics, or a flask of holy water. Zombies, in particular, if nothing else is available, are susceptible to being hacked to pieces. Arrows and such are useless against them, as are blunt objects. Arrows won't work of course, because zombies no longer have working organs to destroy. things like a mace or a fist don't work because bones are not what keep these creatures moving. Instead, it is the force of will of that animator that keeps them moving...

Water... We need water! Holy water! Where is the priest? someone get the town priests! Tell them to bring holy water!" Siel calls, before looking to the next largest man in the hallway (Besides Corin)
"A little help holding it down?" he says, before moving into the room, drawing his dagger as he does so.

actions:

move action to draw a dagger. 5-foot step into the room, Total defense.

Malachite
2012-11-22, 05:38 PM
Corin and Siel

Mastering his fear at last, the other man who came to help rushes forward and joins Corin in tackling Hanni. Under their combined bodyweight the zombie is knocked to the floor easily, where she thrashes madly trying to get free. Hanni fights with unnatural strength for a girl her size, but it isn't enough to overcome two strong men intent on keeping her still.

As Siel shouts for holy water, the sounds in the inn below turn from sorrow to outright fear as people realise that the fight is no longer against a normal man. There are screams and the sounds of running feet as people abandon the inn. Perhaps some are going to fetch help, perhaps not.

Rashe

The sounds from the tavern bar room suddenly turn to screams and people start rushing out of the door.
"Run!" shouts one wild-eyed woman as she spots you. "Somethin' evil's up in there! Get away while you can!"

NeoStriker
2012-11-23, 10:18 PM
Rashe

The girl looks back up at you and wipes away tears angrily with the back of her hand.
"I'm alive, I suppose. For now. If it's not monsters spawned in Capraht coming to kill us and destroy our homes, it's men like that drowson up there who think they're better than us and can do whatever they like.
"How can men act like that?" she asks you. "Why are some of them so cruel?"

Rashe looks oddly at the woman for a second, as if in disbelief. She thinks for a second before saying, "So I guess you're switching teams? I guess I could help you with that".

Suddenly, someone shouts for her to run, spouting that evil be amok. People start leaving the tavern in flocks. She smiles as she remembers something funny. She then makes her way back in, hopefully to loot whatever she can.

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-23, 10:22 PM
Corin

The smith grunts again as the other man joins in, pulling the ghoulish girl to the floor between them. Moving to keep a firm grip on her arm (Another swing like the one he already took could probably do more than snap his jaw), and makes another grab at the dagger in her chest. If this was something that would need holy water to be destroyed, a weapon was more than necessary.

Alright. Attacking with opponents weapon.
Opposed grapple checks.
Corin: [roll0]
Hanni: [roll1]
Attack roll, if successful, at a -4, but against her lowered AC. [roll2]

Noctemwolf
2012-11-24, 10:54 PM
Siel Skyfallen

With a gulp, Siel steps foward, his hands shaking, the dagger rattling along with his thin arms.

How does this go again?

"Zethos protect, and Zethos forgive..."

Doesn't it rhyme after this? I could have sworn...

"Return to the dead, that other's may live."

Please be right, please be right, please be right-

Then, aiming as best he could, he clumsily lunges for the creatures neck.

Move action: Move up to the zombie.
standard action: attack with the dagger (slashing)
[roll0] -1 [3]
*fingers crossed*

Malachite
2012-11-27, 02:16 PM
Siel and Corin

Hanni thrashes on the ground as Siel comes close, but she is held pinned to the floor by the two men. Locking one of her arms under his own armpit, Corin is able to yank the dagger that killed her from its resting place, and between the two of them they quickly manage to detach the zombie's head from the rest of it, at which point it finally goes limp.

The other man wrestling to keep her pinned lets go cautiously and stands up, wiping gory hands on his trousers. He looks down at the corpse regretfully.
"That's an end she never deserved," he says, the emotion in his voice leaving no doubt that he knew her in life.
"The name's Lachlan. You did well, travellers, not many would have stood and fought as you did."
He bends down and begins trying to coax Caedrun up the floor, where he still lies sobbing, and nearer the door the landlord finally seems to be recovering from the blinding spray of coloured light loosed at the beginning of the fight.

Over in the corner, the wizard's breathing has become increasingly laboured. Corin in particular would recognise that he likely has only seconds to live without immediate help.

Rashe

The girl looks a little confused (and more than a little shocked) at your suggestion, but she doesn't have long to ponder it - she runs off with the rest of the crowd as soon as danger is mentioned.

Back inside the tavern, the noise from upstairs has lessened - other than the sound of a man sobbing, the voices have quieted to a normal volume and the fight seems to be over. The landlady stands cautiously at the bottom of the stairs - she hold her skirts as though ready to make a run for it.

"What's going on up there?" she calls. "Is it over?"

Toska Moriarty
2012-11-27, 02:41 PM
Corin

Standing and dropping the bloodied dagger to the ground, Corin wipes his hands on his own sides, doing what little he can right now to clean himself up. Feeling his own jaw, and noting that it was probably very broken, he simply grunts two words: "Corin. Thanks." while offering his hand to Lachlan.

Nodding his head to indicate the gurgling figure in the corner, he looks to the ground and shakes his head to each side. Hopefully, the pantomime comes out: He's probably not going to make it.

If anybody wants to try to salvage the wazard for interrogation or imprisonment, Corin stands aside, leaning against a wall or table (or sitting in a chair, if he can find one) and nurses his jaw. Best not to leave till someone from teh watch gets here, and comforting a father whose daughter was just slain before him, well, it wouldn't be a good place to speak up.

NeoStriker
2012-11-29, 03:50 PM
Rashe

'Well, looks like there's still people'.

Rashe addresses the woman's question, "Hey, you want me to go upstairs to check things out for you?"

Noctemwolf
2012-11-30, 04:23 AM
Siel and Corin

Hanni thrashes on the ground as Siel comes close, but she is held pinned to the floor by the two men. Locking one of her arms under his own armpit, Corin is able to yank the dagger that killed her from its resting place, and between the two of them they quickly manage to detach the zombie's head from the rest of it, at which point it finally goes limp.

The other man wrestling to keep her pinned lets go cautiously and stands up, wiping gory hands on his trousers. He looks down at the corpse regretfully.
"That's an end she never deserved," he says, the emotion in his voice leaving no doubt that he knew her in life.
"The name's Lachlan. You did well, travellers, not many would have stood and fought as you did."
He bends down and begins trying to coax Caedrun up the floor, where he still lies sobbing, and nearer the door the landlord finally seems to be recovering from the blinding spray of coloured light loosed at the beginning of the fight.

Over in the corner, the wizard's breathing has become increasingly laboured. Corin in particular would recognise that he likely has only seconds to live without immediate help.

Rashe

The girl looks a little confused (and more than a little shocked) at your suggestion, but she doesn't have long to ponder it - she runs off with the rest of the crowd as soon as danger is mentioned.

Back inside the tavern, the noise from upstairs has lessened - other than the sound of a man sobbing, the voices have quieted to a normal volume and the fight seems to be over. The landlady stands cautiously at the bottom of the stairs - she hold her skirts as though ready to make a run for it.

"What's going on up there?" she calls. "Is it over?"

Siel Skyfallen

"It's done."
Siel says this quietly as his dagger clatters to the floor, his hands shaking as he looks down at the blood staining his white gloves. He had never killed someone before, let alone faced a creature like that. She had been alive, only moments before, and now she was dead. Twice.

"Zethos have mercy on me..." Siel moaned, falling to his knees, reverting to the religious mindset that had been instilled in him from childhood.

"This child has done work in your service, and to that creed I hold, the world is kept safe another day longer by your hand. Please see the good I've done and lend me a step closer to eternal paradise."

Though still mumbling, the practical mindset he had cultivated in his more recent years tried to reassert control.

People are hurt. You need to help them.

Siel stared at the healing potions he had managed to hold on to. He moves to Lachlan.

"Siel," is all he manages to say before handing one of the vials of health to him. "This should help your jaw," Siel says, before moving toward the wizard, with clear intent to feed him the other vial of potion.

"I hold your hope within my chest,
Your lucky words all do attest,
You give the poor shelter and keep them fed,
you save my home and warm my bed..."

Malachite
2012-12-04, 06:40 PM
The potion tastes fresh and cool as mint to Corin, and he feels the curious sensation of having a bone knit together at a vastly accelerated pace. It's not exactly painful, but it certainly isn't comfortable.

In the corner, the wizard is choking on his own blood by the time Siel starts dribbling the other vial's contents down his throat. The brew works quickly though, and the strained efforts to draw breath subside into an even rhythm. The man is still unconscious, but has been brought back from the very brink of death by the potion.

Lachlan looks on approvingly at Siel's prayer. "There's too many folks these days as would ignore the Gods," he says. "May Dieter give her soul a better rest than her body, and may Kolkis see justice done on the bastard that did it!"

The bartender rises from the floor groggily, looks over at the scene of carnage in the room and immediately turns away to help Lachlan take Caedrun downstairs, a sickened expression on his face.
"What in the hells happened?" he asks as they move out of the room. "Last thing I remember was some kind of flash."

Downstairs, the woman looks back to Rashe.
"Let's wait for the men to come down," she says grimly. "I don't think you'll want to see what's up there. How did you know Hanni, anyway?"

From the sounds of footsteps on the stairs, it seems everything is over in the rooms above.

Toska Moriarty
2012-12-04, 11:24 PM
Corin

Holding his jaw in place as it re-structures itself (trying to avoid mis-setting it), Corin manages to hold back the comment " And may Crom keep his nose out of it". Standing and stretching, he manages to grunt a humble "Thank you..." to Siel, also wandering over to the downed wizard.

Looking about the room, others leaving, he shrugs, openly asking anyone in earshot "So what the hell do we do with this?"

NeoStriker
2012-12-05, 09:21 PM
Rashe

Rashe keeps staring up the stairs, straining her ears to hear what's happening. She turns to the landlady and beams a smile while saying, "Oh, we met recently, during the festival. But I think it's safe upstairs now, so I'm just gonna get my stuff back now and get home, you know? Too much excitement for one day. Came here to relax and suddenly you get attacked".

Rashe starts making her way back upstairs.

Noctemwolf
2012-12-11, 03:07 PM
Siel Skyfallen

Gently, Siel does his best to tug the wizard up onto the bed, not replying immediately to either of Corin's remarks. His breathing slows and his eyes stop darting around nervously as he puts one of the pillows below the wizard's head.

"What do you mean, do with that?" he asks, perplexed.

Malachite
2012-12-11, 03:14 PM
While watchmen are on the scene in minutes, it takes another half hour or so for the head of the watch to arrive at the inn - evidently he was asleep, living a good distance away, waiting for the trouble to be dealt with or possibly all three.

A gruff-looking man in his fifties walks into the room, preceded by two leather-armoured guardsmen holding swords. From the way he carries himself he looks like he's seen military training at some point, but too many years as an important man in a trading town have evidently made their mark on him, leaving him jowly and overweight. He scans the room, eyes flickering over the unconscious wizard and resting on the now-headless girl.

"I think someone had better start talking," he says slowly and gravely. "By the Evil Four, there had better be a damn good explanation why a headless young lady is lying on the floor of this tavern."

Toska Moriarty
2012-12-11, 10:54 PM
Corin

The smith shrugs off Siel's comments, only standing again when the guardsmen arrive. Stretching his stiff muscles ( A day at the forge and lethal combat will do that to you), he steps forward to the guard captain. Gruffly in short sentences, he does what he can to explain:

"There was screaming in the bar, another woman 'ompletely hysterical, was rantin' 'bout bloody murder. I came in, door was barricaded. The other men and I kicked it in, and tha' man " He gestures with a slightly-less-bloodied-than-before hand at the still-nude man on the bed "Tried ta' blast us with some sort a' magic. I overpowered him and caved 'is face in. The lass was already dead, that knife" he points again, "In 'er chest. Before we could try to 'elp 'er, 'er father came in and broke down. Then..." He shakes his head, pinching the bridge of his nose.

-Silence-

"Then she stood up and attacked 'er own father. I've seen some horrible, horrible things, but I just panicked. Jumped on 'er. This fellow" he nods at Siel, both as indication and further thanks, "'Elped me hold er down. She nearly took my head off, but eventually my hand found the knife and...well, we put 'er back to rest.... "

"That man healed my wounds with some 'lixer, and seems to have saved the mage's life 'swell. We fig're 'es best in yer' care now. An' waitin' fer you lot to show up would be better'n runnin' off."

Corin looks around the room one more time before grunting and mumbling out one more remark to himself. "Wish youda' gotten 'ere a tad' faster..." He steps aside to let the men into the room, to move about and investigate.

Malachite
2012-12-13, 07:04 PM
The head of the guards looks Corin up and down, eyes narrowed.

"So you're saying that you near-on killed a wizard powerful enough to raise the dead with a mug? That's some strong magic right there, and them that have it usually earned it against worse that, what, a blacksmith?

Now, I believe that you weren't the instigators, else Jonat and Lachlan wouldn't have left you up here.. Tell me exactly what you saw from the moment you came in the door to the moment you took him down."

Noctemwolf
2012-12-15, 05:16 PM
Siel Skyfallen

looks on the conversation with some trepidation. He hadn't been planning on getting into so much trouble. Maybe he shouldn't have shoved his nose into business that wasn't his to begin with. he gulps, nervously twitching his eyes between the blacksmith and the captain. His eyes rest for a moment on his bloody dagger on the floor, before his eyes eyes snap back to the conversation.

Toska Moriarty
2012-12-16, 03:08 PM
Corin

" I told ya the brunt of it all a'ready, so there isn' much more I kin' do for ya. He's some sorta mage, that glowerin gem in 'er chest hints away at tha', but I've heard of weirder things than gettin' beat by an' old smith when magic gets involved. "

He shrugs again, repressing a small smirk. "I do have some ol' combat left in me from before I retired here, it seems. I'll apologize only fer' making a mess of this room; not fer' tryin ta help."

Malachite
2012-12-19, 02:29 PM
The guardsman nods as Corin explains, looking thoughtfu at the mention of the jewel. He walks over, crouching over the body and takes a closer look at it.

"Hmm," he says after a moment. "I've not seen one of these before. Looks magical though - there's runes and such engraved into the gems."

He pulls out a dagger and prods it gently with the tip, looking surprised when it comes free easily. He stares at it for a moment, consternation written on his face.

"I'll tell you the truth, I don't know what to make of this. Stories I heard, anyone with power as can raise the dead should have made short work of the whole village, let alone a few merchants and craftsmen. I think I'd best send some patrols nearer the border, make sure there's nothing brewing, you know? And probably better send this to Treycona where a wizard can take a look at it and see what it is. I reckon things as come out of Capraht are best left unmessed-with by us common folk."

He looks up again at Siel and Corin.

"So, what'll you two be doing now?"

Toska Moriarty
2012-12-20, 11:57 AM
Corin

The blacksmith releases a long pent-up sigh of relief. He would not be run out of this town today. Appraising the situation, and his own condition, he cannot help but chuckle.

"Firstly. I think I be in need of a bath. Quicker I can get this filth's blood offa me tha' better. Tha' mage though: he's all yers. I'm headin' 'ome."

With that, Corin nods another silent thank-you to the one who brought him that potion and shoulders past the guard, out the door, trying (Impossibly) to be as small as possible when making his way through the bar.

Provided he isnt stopped, he heads towards the smithy, slightly bloodied hands deep in apron pockets.

Noctemwolf
2012-12-24, 03:01 PM
The guardsman nods as Corin explains, looking thoughtfu at the mention of the jewel. He walks over, crouching over the body and takes a closer look at it.

"Hmm," he says after a moment. "I've not seen one of these before. Looks magical though - there's runes and such engraved into the gems."

He pulls out a dagger and prods it gently with the tip, looking surprised when it comes free easily. He stares at it for a moment, consternation written on his face.

"I'll tell you the truth, I don't know what to make of this. Stories I heard, anyone with power as can raise the dead should have made short work of the whole village, let alone a few merchants and craftsmen. I think I'd best send some patrols nearer the border, make sure there's nothing brewing, you know? And probably better send this to Treycona where a wizard can take a look at it and see what it is. I reckon things as come out of Capraht are best left unmessed-with by us common folk."

He looks up again at Siel and Corin.

"So, what'll you two be doing now?"

Siel Skyfallen

"I'm... Just going to head back downstairs, Thank you."

Siel's eyes keep a haunted trace around them as he moves to exit, holding whatever few potions he didn't use, leaving his bloodied dagger behind on the floor.

Siel goes down to the main floor and finds a chair to sit in.

Malachite
2012-12-29, 03:59 PM
The captain of the guard seems to accept the explanation and gets down to his job, organising guards to bind, gag and hood the mage before taking him to the jailhouse.
"Your alibis are good enough for me," he says appreciatively. "Thanks for what you did tonight. We'll hang this scum-stain in the morning, once he's woken up and knows what's happening."

No one stops Corin as he leaves for the forge, allowing him to get back, wash the blood off himself and his clothes, and perhaps take a night cap before bed. You know, the standard things you do after cutting the head off a wildly struggling, recently dead girl.

In the tavern's common room, meanwhile, Siel is largely left alone too, though the landlady keeps trying to make awkward, abortive attempts at conversation until everyone heads to bed.

After such horrible experiences, rest comes easily to only a few. However well the two sleep, they are rudely awakened by the sound of alarm bells and shouting just as light begins to touch the town...

Toska Moriarty
2012-12-29, 11:44 PM
Corin

Running. Trees. Snow. Tracks.... Caw of a bird... Howl of a wolf. Sun set hours ago... Breath making clouds in the moonlight... Panting. Sweat. Pain.... Bite wounds still bleeding, a red trail in the snow. Running. Chasing... Hunting... Blood freezing flesh to steel... Sword in hand... More running.... Bells... Bells?

"Arrrah!" Corin sits up with a start, rough fur hitting the floor as he raises a sword. Panting, he realizes where he is and wipes the cold sweat from his brow, letting the steel blade fall to the ground with a hollow clink. Standing, he quickly throws a tunic over his head and looks around the forge: All where he left it before falling asleep. It seemed he was favoring the small cot by the furnace over his own bed nowadays.

Moments pass. The bells echoed through his head, carrying over from his dream. They were the only thing that was different. Why? He shakes his head, trying to rid himself of the sound. The sounds of bustle (I assume) outside finally alert him: Those weren't from a dream. They weren't even churchbells. That was an alarm!

Reaching down and grabbing the large hand-and-a-half sword from the ground, he throws open the door of the forge and steps out into the cold morning, quickly taking in all he can see and hear.

Noctemwolf
2013-01-06, 03:54 PM
Siel Skyfallen

"Help me."

He stood, petrified above her terrified figure.

"Please, don't do this. I can see your not a bad man. Please."

"I pray you let this spirit find her rest..."

"No." the girls figure began to change. Her eyes grew black, her tongue forked.

"hold this child tightly to your breast..."

"No!" came the cry before the screams and blood.

He sat up quickly, his eyes wide.

He put his hands to his face, cradling his head. Already? He was having nightmares already, and it wasn't hardly hours after the incident. He thought the shock at the least would take longer to settle out.

He had never been as good at dealing with these things as his brother.

He had been quiet throughout the rest of the night, giving little more than nods as answers to the queries of the landlady. Even when John came in demanding to know what happened, Siel merely answered with a wave to the stairs.

"Don't forget to take those potions you used out of your pay," John grumbled once he had learned what happened from the guard. "Get some rest. You've got room thirteen."

He barely slept throughout the night, the same nightmare coming in different forms. First it was just the girl pleading for her life, and in each dream her figure became more and more disfigured.

This time it was different. Different because the screams were no longer just in his dreams.

The sound of the bells and the yells roused Siel from his bed. He dressed as fast as he could, strapping his now single dagger to his waist as he looked out the window to see what the commotion was about.

Malachite
2013-01-11, 06:35 AM
The crowds of people running around the town recalls the chaotic atmosphere of the previous night's celebrations, but this morning there is palpable panic in the air. Handcarts are being beginning to be loaded with belongings both essential and of sentimental value, and a few quick responders are already heading out of town, uphill to the safety of Upper Stowford's walls and keep.

On a platform at the edge of the town square, a crier stands bellowing out the alarming news.

"Raiders sighted at the border! Make for the keep or leave the town! All guardsmen form up in the square!"

Just below him, the captain of last night is forming up around forty men dressed in boiled leather tunics and caps and carrying a spear and shield. More are coming every minute, though, tugging on their armour as they run - perhaps these forty are just the ones already on duty, as he seems to be scanning the crowds for new arrivals and deserters.

Toska Moriarty
2013-01-11, 10:39 AM
Corin

Corin freezes for a moment: A battle was coming. No, a RAID. Could these be the ones he hunted so long? The ones that too so much from him already? They were alike enough to warrant some minor losses. Flinging open the door and throwing open the curtains, Corin stands outside the forge, hands cupped over his mouth as he bellows into the panic: "ARM YOURSELF! BLADES, AXES, HAMMERS! TAKE WHAT YOU CAN! BETTER YOUR CHANCES, ARM YOURSELVES!!!"

This shouting was accompanied by frantic waving of people toward the shop half of the forge, both commoners and guardsmen alike. Sure, some of them would no doubt opportunists stealing arms to sell later, but if his work should save a single family from being ripped apart....

Noctemwolf
2013-01-12, 05:16 PM
Siel

Lifting the window, Siel manages to hear the crier's call.

"No. No, no oh gods no..."

He had never been in a position like this before. Never had a real fight in his life. Now wasn't the time to be learning.

He raced down the stairs, barely managing to avoid tripping. Though he had all his belonging's he had brought up with him, he may have missed a coin or two that just didn't seem important right now.

"John! John, did you hear? We need to get out of here!"

The cart wasn't out front, and nowhere in sight.

"John? John!" Siel called out, cupping his hands around his mouth and looking worried. John wouldn't have left him, certainly. The man was a coward at heart, but not spineless. Or, so Siel hoped.

"John!"

Malachite
2013-01-17, 01:55 PM
Many villagers take up Corin's offer of arms, running over to grab a weapon with quick words of thanks before heading on up the hill. Just as many ignore the offer, focussing solely on getting to the relative safety of the hill fort as quickly as possible. Clearly Caprahti raiders had a fearsome reputation in this area.

Meanwhile, in the square, neither John or his wagon are anywhere to be found, despite Siel's repeated calls. They do attract the attention of the captain of the guard, though, and he calls the elf over. Leaving the marshalling of the guard to his second-in-command, he takes Siel to one side.

"Here," he begins quietly, producing last night's jewelled magical item from a pouch. "We're in serious trouble. I'm going need all my men to have a chance of defending these people, but this needs to go north to the wizards in Treycona, and you'll probably want to be on your way anyway. Lachlan told me you and the smith handled yourselves well. Maybe he can go with you if you can find him."

Noctemwolf
2013-01-18, 03:06 AM
Many villagers take up Corin's offer of arms, running over to grab a weapon with quick words of thanks before heading on up the hill. Just as many ignore the offer, focussing solely on getting to the relative safety of the hill fort as quickly as possible. Clearly Caprahti raiders had a fearsome reputation in this area.

Meanwhile, in the square, neither John or his wagon are anywhere to be found, despite Siel's repeated calls. They do attract the attention of the captain of the guard, though, and he calls the elf over. Leaving the marshalling of the guard to his second-in-command, he takes Siel to one side.

"Here," he begins quietly, producing last night's jewelled magical item from a pouch. "We're in serious trouble. I'm going need all my men to have a chance of defending these people, but this needs to go north to the wizards in Treycona, and you'll probably want to be on your way anyway. Lachlan told me you and the smith handled yourselves well. Maybe he can go with you if you can find him."

Siel

"W-what?" Siel was confused by the man's words.
"Why, would you trust me with this? This thing is dangerous!" Siel looks fearfully at the object.

"Besides, I'm no warrior. I'm a merchant."

John's disappearance more than likely meant that portion of his life was finished now.

Siel takes a deep gulp, thinks the captain's words over for a moment, than nods.
"I know where Treycona is. I'll do my best. Would you, by chance, be able to point me to the smith?"

Malachite
2013-01-18, 01:01 PM
"I'm trusting you with it because I have little other choice," the captain says matter-of-factly. "I need all my men and you're the only one planning on leaving who stepped up and proved yourself last night. The smithy's just up the street to the north, on the edge of town. Now, I have things to do. Good gods be with you."

With that, he heads back to his men.

Noctemwolf
2013-01-25, 06:16 PM
"I'm trusting you with it because I have little other choice," the captain says matter-of-factly. "I need all my men and you're the only one planning on leaving who stepped up and proved yourself last night. The smithy's just up the street to the north, on the edge of town. Now, I have things to do. Good gods be with you."

With that, he heads back to his men.

Siel

"R-right," Siel says, gulping and steeling his courage before heading in the direction he was told.

The people bustling around him made him extremely uncomfortable, especially with the prospect he had no where to go to. With John's disappearance, he had no home, no place to stay he could rightfully call his.
Still, now was no time to worry.
As he approached the blacksmith, he began to notice people running around with weapons much larger than a dagger.
"If he is a blacksmith, than he must be in...There."

Siel approaches the smithy.

"Hello?" Siel wracked his minds to remember the man's name. He HAD introduced himself, hadn't he?

"Corin?" Siel calls hopefully.

Toska Moriarty
2013-01-25, 10:03 PM
Corin

Several loud clangs echo through the smithy, steel being slammed against other metals and stone, several such pieces of metal dropping to the floor. Rounding a corner from the open-air forge into the actual smithy, Corin moves rather quickly for an older gentleman, barrel-chest covered by twin armfuls of weapons; the very last of his stock.

Unable to see due to his load, Corin merely bellows out as he shoves past Siel into the street: "Yes! This is the rest 'a 'em! 'Ere!!"

He drops the piles onto the ground several feet from the doorway; blades, maces, several daggers, and other items clang to the ground, echoing like thunder. Turning, he notices Siel, and for the briefest of moments, a large grin spreads across the other-wise grouchy smith's face.

"Ah ha HA! I would 'ave bet quite the pile 'a coin that you wouldn't run from such rabble!"
He reaches out, clasping a massive, rough hand onto Siel's shoulder and squeezing. A friendly gesture, sure, but the enthusiasm was a bit much. Especially in a time of panic. As people begin snatching up weapons from the last pile, he reaches inside the door and lifts the hand-and-a-half sword that had been leaning by the door, with the hand that wasn't on Siel's shoulder (of course).

"Thank ye' again for yer' 'elp yesterday, I owe 'ya a helluva' debt. What would you like fer' arms? You seem comf-ter-bull with tha' smaller blades, but I could help ya' well enough for whichever ye' want, so long as yer' quick and willin' ta' use 'em!"

Corin points with the huge sword to the diminishing piles as he speaks, voice booming despite their proximity. Even with all this enthusiasm, his eyes scanned the horizon for rising dust and powder, signals that mounted bandits were nearing.

Noctemwolf
2013-02-01, 05:14 AM
Corin

Several loud clangs echo through the smithy, steel being slammed against other metals and stone, several such pieces of metal dropping to the floor. Rounding a corner from the open-air forge into the actual smithy, Corin moves rather quickly for an older gentleman, barrel-chest covered by twin armfuls of weapons; the very last of his stock.

Unable to see due to his load, Corin merely bellows out as he shoves past Siel into the street: "Yes! This is the rest 'a 'em! 'Ere!!"

He drops the piles onto the ground several feet from the doorway; blades, maces, several daggers, and other items clang to the ground, echoing like thunder. Turning, he notices Siel, and for the briefest of moments, a large grin spreads across the other-wise grouchy smith's face.

"Ah ha HA! I would 'ave bet quite the pile 'a coin that you wouldn't run from such rabble!"
He reaches out, clasping a massive, rough hand onto Siel's shoulder and squeezing. A friendly gesture, sure, but the enthusiasm was a bit much. Especially in a time of panic. As people begin snatching up weapons from the last pile, he reaches inside the door and lifts the hand-and-a-half sword that had been leaning by the door, with the hand that wasn't on Siel's shoulder (of course).

"Thank ye' again for yer' 'elp yesterday, I owe 'ya a helluva' debt. What would you like fer' arms? You seem comf-ter-bull with tha' smaller blades, but I could help ya' well enough for whichever ye' want, so long as yer' quick and willin' ta' use 'em!"

Corin points with the huge sword to the diminishing piles as he speaks, voice booming despite their proximity. Even with all this enthusiasm, his eyes scanned the horizon for rising dust and powder, signals that mounted bandits were nearing.

Siel Skyfallen

A little frazzled by the blacksmith's shove and subsquent warm welcome, Siel cough to clear his throat.
"The guard captain pointed me in your direction. And, thank you," Siel says, picking up a new dagger and, since he had actually used one in his younger days as part of the church, a small mace.

"The captain told me you could help in delivering... This."

His fist trembles as he holds out the small stone.

"He said it needs to go to Treycona, and he decided I would be the best one to do it, for some reason."

Toska Moriarty
2013-02-02, 01:50 AM
Slightly off-put, the smith buries the tip of the blade into the ground and crosses his arms, lower lip protruding in a pout. "'E would'n rather me stay 'ere an 'elp? Tha' fool."

Reaching out, his massive calloused hand easily dwarfs Siel's, and he re-closes the smaller man's fist around the stone. "Ifin' 'e wants ya' ta' keep it safe, ya' better do so, man..."

He inhales deeply, looking again towards the direction the guards were heading. "I can't quite leave 'ere in good standin', lad. I 'ave no connection 'ere, but I need ta' see whose comin'. I'll leave with ya' if its not them, but if it is, I'm gunna' stand 'ere."

Malachite
2013-03-04, 03:00 PM
Siel takes the offered hand hesitantly. "Right... I don't think I should head out with this alone, so I'll head to the keep now and wait for you there. Zethos protect you."
That said, the elf heads off to join the last of the crowds of people heading uphill.

Barely minutes behind them, there comes the tramping sound of the town militia following behind. By now there are near on a hundred and fifty men armed with spears and shields following the captain, ranging from young men in their late teens to grizzled men well past their prime. Most look worried about the impending battle, but there is a determined aura about them. These men will not give up their lives meekly.

The guard captain spots Corin as they pass and calls out.
"Hey, what are you still doing here? The scouts say they're only half an hour or so out. No time to leave now, you'd best head up to the keep with us!"

Toska Moriarty
2013-03-07, 01:04 PM
Corin, sword in hand, takes a mighty stretch, nearly roaring as he does so. HIs bones were getting older, true, but he could still fight.

"I ain't plannin' on runnin' away from a few brazen bandits, cap'n!" He looks over the meager smithy and chuckles; is this what he wanted to defend? No. Looking the other way, Siel was indistinguishable among the other refugees. They had some solid distance. Good.

"If you'd 'ave me, I'm with ya'. " he calls out, taking several steps before breaking into a jog behind them, breath making clouds in the chilly air. What better way to get a look at the offenders then a half foot away and a sword in their gullet?

Malachite
2013-03-10, 05:49 PM
The captain nods, but his expression stays grim.

"There's more than a few bandits," he says. "And I'd as soon you and the elf had been away and safe. Still, I'll be grateful for your help."

It takes another quarter of an hour to reach the keep in Upper Stowford, at the top of the the hill, by which time the incoming riders have reached the lower town. Other than being mounted, it is still too far to make out much about them, other than a black banner bearing a clenched fist in red.

Once inside, you see that the keep is a large stone building made to protect the village populations, surrounded by a ditch and a rough wooden wall eight feet high with a larger gatehouse set into it.

The captain sets one hundred and twenty of his men to man the walls, splitting the remaining thirty into three ten-man reserve units to reinforce where needed. Upper Stowford seems to have its own militia - thirty-odd bowmen, who have taken up positions on top of the keep to give covering fire.

You are free to join the militia wherever you feel you can do the most good.