PDA

View Full Version : Need a bit more help (Sorry)

Sasquatch180
2012-10-30, 03:27 PM
I talked it over with my DM about being a Warforged archer (or any race and being an archer) and he said that it was alright, but that I needed to look up a bit more about them. He said that it doesn't have to be anything specific, just general stuff that can help me as a player. He also said that it has to be from/for 3.5, and almost no homebrew stuff.

So my plea for help this time is can someone post a link that has information on the Warforged that is mostly official, meaning that it has come from Wizards or from people hired/supported by them. Alternatively if no one can, would anyone be willing to post the least-used races by players, even if they aren't official? I know this is a bit contradictory, but he does allow a few homebrew things, so long as its nothing too good, you know?

Again, sorry for asking so much from you guys.

Keld Denar
2012-10-30, 03:38 PM
Warforged info is mostly in MMIII, Eberron Campaign Setting, and Races of Eberron. None of those sources are OGL, and to the best of my knowledge have never been published online in a Web enhancement. Relaying then here in full would run afoul of the Forum Rules (link at the top if the page).

Your best solution would be to try to obtain a copy of the ECS. Look for used book stores or online resale outlets like ebay or Amazon marketplace.

Edit: ECS would be your best buy, it also has the Artificer class, which makes an excellent archer.

Sasquatch180
2012-10-30, 06:26 PM
Warforged info is mostly in MMIII, Eberron Campaign Setting, and Races of Eberron. None of those sources are OGL, and to the best of my knowledge have never been published online in a Web enhancement. Relaying then here in full would run afoul of the Forum Rules (link at the top if the page).

Your best solution would be to try to obtain a copy of the ECS. Look for used book stores or online resale outlets like ebay or Amazon marketplace.

Edit: ECS would be your best buy, it also has the Artificer class, which makes an excellent archer.

Ah, okay then. I figured that might be the case, but it doesn't hurt to check, you know?

docnessuno
2012-10-30, 06:31 PM
it also has the Artificer class, which makes an excellent archer.

This is kinda misleading for a newcomer. Saying the Artificer ia an excellent archer is like saying a wizard is one. True, but it doesn't work "out of the box".

For good ranged classes, Scout and Walock (not an archer but at-will ranged blasting) are your best bets, followed by fighter and ranger.

Also, while for general purposes the ECS is overall the best book of the lot to get, Races of eberron is more informative of Warforged origins, life and such.

Keld Denar
2012-10-30, 06:34 PM
Cheap and easy access to bow mods along with the ability to put bane on your bow at any time for whatever you are hunting...sounds pretty kick ass to me. Archery loves bonus damage per hit. Artificer can supply it.

HunterColt22
2012-10-31, 08:36 AM
Cheap and easy access to bow mods along with the ability to put bane on your bow at any time for whatever you are hunting...sounds pretty kick ass to me. Archery loves bonus damage per hit. Artificer can supply it.

Minus the fact that an artificer can be one of the hardest classes to play, considering it has access to both schools of magic, but needs to create said items, or make sure he has the correct wands and scrolls to then apply that damage. For someone new, it seems like an awful lot of book keeping say compared to a warlock or even more simply, a scout.

Warforged also have their own small list to keep just on immunities and racial abilities that you need to keep track of. I personally would recommend going scout for a ranged archer build. Getting lots of tumble to activate skirmish every round while not provoking AoO can be very helpful, and a lot less book keeping, than say, "did i re-create my homunculus from last battle? What about my scrolls? Okay where is my list of wands that are arcane? Crap where is my divine level 4 scroll's list!?"

prufock
2012-10-31, 09:41 AM
So my plea for help this time is can someone post a link that has information on the Warforged that is mostly official, meaning that it has come from Wizards or from people hired/supported by them. Alternatively if no one can, would anyone be willing to post the least-used races by players, even if they aren't official? I know this is a bit contradictory, but he does allow a few homebrew things, so long as its nothing too good, you know?

Google is your friend, just search "warforged." The first page of results will give you pretty much everything you need to know about the history, psychology, culture, mechanics, build suggestions, and so on that you need to know. I'm hesitant to go too deep into a reply without a more specific question, and I don't know how much is OGL so I can't copypaste anything here, but just run the search and read the first page of hits.

I would recommend, if you're relatively new to the game, NOT playing an artificer. They're complex. If you're looking for a good archer build, a Ranger/Scout with the Swift Hunter feat works well. I'm sure you can find a Swift Hunter handbook online.

Sasquatch180
2012-10-31, 05:40 PM
Ah thanks again everyone for anwsering. I just have one more question (for now, anyway). How well does an archer build using bard instead of ranger go? Looking at the bard class it seems to go more along with my kind of playstyle (mostly supportive).
Also can anyone post the pros and cons of being a bard or a ranger?

prufock
2012-10-31, 05:52 PM
Ah thanks again everyone for anwsering. I just have one more question (for now, anyway). How well does an archer build using bard instead of ranger go? Looking at the bard class it seems to go more along with my kind of playstyle (mostly supportive).
Also can anyone post the pros and cons of being a bard or a ranger?

Little link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225613) for ya.