PDA

View Full Version : Midget Humans?

silverwolfer
2012-10-30, 06:42 PM
:smallmad: So having an argument with some random person on another form, when I asked , Hey can I play a midget, and they start going off like I am some sort of cheater ((Lesser Assimar is often played so not like am super optimizing and not picking tier one class anyways).

Is being a midget human so offensive to suggest as wanting to roleplay?

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-30, 06:49 PM
I think a small size human with a base movement of 20 ft would seem reasonable if there are no stats written anywhere for this. And no, I do not find midgets offensive in the least.

Zdrak
2012-10-30, 06:53 PM
I think a small size human with a base movement of 20 ft would seem reasonable if there are no stats written anywhere for this.

It would be almost strictly better than Strongheart Halfling. And Strongheart Halfling is good.
I would say, you want to be a midget, take up all the mechanical adjustments of a halfling, but still call yourself Human.

Spuddles
2012-10-30, 06:58 PM
Little person is the preferred nomenclature.

Kantolin
2012-10-30, 07:02 PM
It would be almost strictly better than Strongheart Halfling. And Strongheart Halfling is good.

O-o What? Why on earth?

So +skill points is more valuable than... everything a strongheart halfling gets?

Mystral
2012-10-30, 07:04 PM
I'd say, Human, but small and 20 feet, is not that strong. Small cancels itself out more or less, and any advantages gained are equalled out by the slower speed.

Maybe give them -2 Str and +2 Dex or Con?

Darius Kane
2012-10-30, 07:05 PM
Play a stronheart halfling.
In PF you can take the Young template.

Togath
2012-10-30, 07:08 PM
Little person is the preferred nomenclature.

That always struck me as odd to be honest. Since
little person" is also used to refer to children, it seem far worse then just saying "dwarf"(and dwarf also has connections to mythology and in most modern media dwarves are presented as fairly badarse so it seems like a pretty inoffensive term)

Zdrak
2012-10-30, 07:11 PM
O-o What? Why on earth?

So +skill points is more valuable than... everything a strongheart halfling gets?
You know what, I actually take it back.

Absol197
2012-10-30, 07:25 PM
I'd say, Human, but small and 20 feet, is not that strong. Small cancels itself out more or less, and any advantages gained are equalled out by the slower speed.

Maybe give them -2 Str and +2 Dex or Con?

Technically, the appropriate ability adjustments would be -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con. But that wouldn't be too fair, so I think you could fudge it to be the halfling adjustments like you said: -2 Str, +2 Dex.

silverwolfer
2012-10-30, 07:33 PM
haha yeah very true

SowZ
2012-10-30, 07:34 PM
You know what, I actually take it back.

I would say it 'is' better. Not because of + skill points, but + skill points AND the bonus feat. Better than +1 for thrown, +1 for saves, +2 vs. fear, and a couple skill check bonus for most builds.

The reason it isn't strictly better is because of the stat adjustments which may be good for a build and also why you shouldn't give a "midget" +2 dex, -2 str as a human. Humans balance themselves by giving a bonus feat in place of stat adjustments. And they aren't balanced, anyway, even without stat mods.

Narren
2012-10-30, 07:37 PM
little person" is also used to refer to children, it seem far worse then just saying "dwarf"(and dwarf also has connections to mythology and in most modern media dwarves are presented as fairly badarse so it seems like a pretty inoffensive term)

I'm with you, I always thought "little person" sounded extremely condescending. Who decided that it was the preferred title, anyways?

Kantolin
2012-10-30, 07:41 PM
I would say it 'is' better. Not because of + skill points, but + skill points AND the bonus feat. Better than +1 for thrown, +1 for saves, +2 vs. fear, and a couple skill check bonus for most builds.

Strongheart halflings get a bonus feat a'la humans. This is why they're considered such a powerful race.

So the difference would be that the humans get +1 skill point/level, while the strongheart halfling gets a slew of other bonii, as both of them get the bonus feat.

(I personally disagree with 'bonus feat is better than everything else', but meh - either way, Strongheart halfling gets the bonus feat along with goodies)

Dr.Epic
2012-10-30, 07:42 PM
:smallmad: So having an argument with some random person on another form, when I asked , Hey can I play a midget, and they start going off like I am some sort of cheater ((Lesser Assimar is often played so not like am super optimizing and not picking tier one class anyways).

Is being a midget human so offensive to suggest as wanting to roleplay?

I have to ask: is this a Tyrion Lannister expy?

And, no I don't see how it could be offensive. Maybe kind of stupid as I'd probably play another small race, but that's just me.

Spuddles
2012-10-30, 07:46 PM
+2 dex -2 str, bonus skill points and a bonus feat seems too good. You'd never play a halfling again. It's just the clear choice for most things rogue-like, and very solid choice for casters.

I'm with you, I always thought "little person" sounded extremely condescending. Who decided that it was the preferred title, anyways?

http://www.arturogil.com/m_word.htm

See the essay that follows the etymology.

I didn't realize it was a big deal until I read a letter that Roger Ebert published in his column, from actor and little person Danny Woodburn. The only link I could find for that is a google cache:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iaIBJyaMGAMJ:rogerebert.suntimes.co m/apps/pbcs.dll/article%3FAID%3D/20050501/ANSWERMAN/505010305%26template%3Dprintart+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

The link on the bottom, to the essay, is broken, but it's the same essay found in the first link.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-10-30, 08:03 PM
+2 dex -2 str, bonus skill points and a bonus feat seems too good. You'd never play a halfling again. It's just the clear choice for most things rogue-like, and very solid choice for casters.

Funny you should say that, I haven't seen a non-strongheart Halfling in years. Strongheart is much better for stealth/casters than a small human.

Feat
Small size
racial skill modifiers (+Move Silently, Climb, jump)
+2 dex, -2 Str
+1 to hit with thrown and sling
+2 saves vs fear
and the Halfling Language which could be chosen as your party's secret language.

At some point I think we just decided to stop bothering to even call them stronghearts.

KillianHawkeye
2012-10-30, 08:07 PM
http://www.arturogil.com/m_word.htm

I wish people would learn not to put white text on a black screen already. Now my eyes hurt! :smallannoyed:

silverwolfer
2012-10-30, 08:16 PM
I have to ask: is this a Tyrion Lannister expy?

And, no I don't see how it could be offensive. Maybe kind of stupid as I'd probably play another small race, but that's just me.

no it is an all human campaign , and I was totaly wanting to try this

((ignore the racial needs))

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061121a

Dr.Epic
2012-10-30, 09:00 PM
no it is an all human campaign , and I was totaly wanting to try this

((ignore the racial needs))

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061121a

But, if you're ignoring the racial stuff, why do you have to be Small?:smallconfused:

silverwolfer
2012-10-30, 09:48 PM
:smallcool: Becuase if am half the human, that means am only 1/2 La, meaning I can stack half a level of human paragon :smallbiggrin:

Sith_Happens
2012-10-30, 10:00 PM
You know, I could totally see "Midget" as a Trait. -1 size category, -10 ft movement speed if base size is Medium. Done.

SowZ
2012-10-30, 11:17 PM
Strongheart halflings get a bonus feat a'la humans. This is why they're considered such a powerful race.

So the difference would be that the humans get +1 skill point/level, while the strongheart halfling gets a slew of other bonii, as both of them get the bonus feat.

(I personally disagree with 'bonus feat is better than everything else', but meh - either way, Strongheart halfling gets the bonus feat along with goodies)

Right. Lightfoot is the one in PHB, right? Also, how have I played this game for seven years and never been a strongheart halfling? Dex is superior to strength in the vast majority of my builds, so I could have been doing 'this' instead of humans?

It's funny, now that I think about it, I have seen strongheart halflings and heard them discussed but it never clicked to play one. I never gave it any thought that I could be one, and never actually made a comparison to humans in my mind, still favoring humans as the best non LA race...

Roland St. Jude
2012-10-31, 12:45 AM
Sheriff: Thread locked for review.