PDA

View Full Version : Help, I need to kill everything

Melnir
2012-10-31, 09:47 AM
I'm playing in an high-op hack and slash game (no story at all, just monster killing), cloistered cleric 2/church inquisitor 3/sovereign speaker 2/sacred exorcist 1/ss +3/contemplative 1.

I need couple of advices: atm I'm fighting with an advanced ironmaw and I need a polymorph form with the highest NA possible (possibly humanoid, but not necessary, CL for transmutation 12).

My DM challanged me to fight tarrasque alone asap, which level would you think I could do it? Which is the best tactic? I was thinking on getting very high initiative (I can easily hit +30, so I should start anyway), very high CL to overcome spell resistance (RI is 35 and I can get +35 on CL check, so again should be no problem) then hitting tarrasque with baleful polymorph (and here's the problem, will +20 and I can get DC 29 and -7 penalty on saving throws, I need something better). Is it a good tactic? What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Dayaz
2012-10-31, 10:53 AM
...isn't the terrasque immune to polymorphing effects?

Melnir
2012-10-31, 10:54 AM
I can't find it anywhere in it's description.

Twilightwyrm
2012-10-31, 11:10 AM
Can you find a way to get more than 150 ft. 215 ft. away, or more than 130 ft. above it in a single round?

Suddo
2012-10-31, 11:44 AM
Can you find a way to get more than 150 ft. 215 ft. away, or more than 130 ft. above it in a single round?

Is your strategy based around fall damage because that's what mine was going to be.

dextercorvia
2012-10-31, 11:49 AM
Is your strategy based around fall damage because that's what mine was going to be.

No. He was adding its reach to its move (or lack of flight), and suggesting that the OP kite it.

Melnir
2012-10-31, 11:52 AM
I don't think it would be a problem. I can have travel domain via substitute domain and use dimension door.

Absol197
2012-10-31, 11:53 AM
No. He was adding its reach to its move (or lack of flight), and suggesting that the OP kite it.

If you're going to go about it that way, don't forget that Big T's sprint ability (I forget what it's actually called, but the one that lets it move very fast for 1 round every minute or so) greatly increases its already significant Jump modifier. Big T has more vertical reach than most people realize, and is just smart enough to rip giant boulders from the ground and chuck them at you (and has the Strength score to do so).

Twilightwyrm
2012-10-31, 12:01 PM
If you're going to go about it that way, don't forget that Big T's sprint ability (I forget what it's actually called, but the one that lets it move very fast for 1 round every minute or so) greatly increases its already significant Jump modifier. Big T has more vertical reach than most people realize, and is just smart enough to rip giant boulders from the ground and chuck them at you (and has the Strength score to do so).

This is actually what I was hinting at. Those number include both the sprint movement speed, and the jump modified the Tarrasque gets from it. Basically speaking, unless you can get out of that range in a single round (and not die from falling back to earth in the case of the vertical height) the Tarrasque can, and likely will, sprint, jump and lock you down with Awesome Blow (which states that any creature effected falls prone), assuming you don't die from the likely massive damage you will take from the attack.

EDIT: The Horizontal distance should actually be more than 365 ft. away, forgot to factor potential charging. Not sure if charging would effect vertical height, but I'll assume not for now.

2xMachina
2012-10-31, 12:03 PM
Go orbital bombardment

Shrink boulders, put in bag, go up to stratosphere. Drop bag, and unshrink.

Absol197
2012-10-31, 12:08 PM
This is actually what I was hinting at. Those number include both the sprint movement speed, and the jump modified the Tarrasque gets from it.

Ah, gotcha! Sorry, away from my books at the moment, couldn't check the numbers :smallredface: .

EDIT: The Horizontal distance should actually be more than 365 ft. away, forgot to factor potential charging. Not sure if charging would effect vertical height, but I'll assume not for now.

Charging shouldn't affect vertical reach, except for if you're doing the whole triangulation thing (Big T's this far away, so he can travel this far and still jump that high if he charges). The bonus to Jump checks is based on base speed, regardless of how far you go because of multiple move actions/charging.

~Phoenix~

Spuddles
2012-10-31, 12:34 PM
Doesn't summon undead 4 get you an allip?

Psyren
2012-10-31, 12:58 PM
Doesn't summon undead 4 get you an allip?

Yes, just be prepared for a lot of shouting if the DM thinks ability damage and ability drain are the same thing.

animewatcha
2012-10-31, 10:20 PM
What was that sanctum spell combo that would continually recast 8000 times in one turn?

What I had in mind was becoming immune to disintegrate somehow and doing the combo to continuely do disintegrate on the bum. For added insult, feat in lords of Madness called Disintegration finesse. Target the head and walk away. It is a magical beast which should mean that 'it needs a head to live.'

MesiDoomstalker
2012-11-01, 12:35 AM
What was that sanctum spell combo that would continually recast 8000 times in one turn?

What I had in mind was becoming immune to disintegrate somehow and doing the combo to continuely do disintegrate on the bum. For added insult, feat in lords of Madness called Disintegration finesse. Target the head and walk away. It is a magical beast which should mean that 'it needs a head to live.'

Except, you know, the monster manual entry saying the Big T can only be perma-killed by a Wish spell. Dropping its HP to below 0 doesn't matter much with Regeneration 40 that can't be overcome.

Twilightwyrm
2012-11-01, 02:09 AM
Charging shouldn't affect vertical reach, except for if you're doing the whole triangulation thing (Big T's this far away, so he can travel this far and still jump that high if he charges). The bonus to Jump checks is based on base speed, regardless of how far you go because of multiple move actions/charging.

~Phoenix~

More or less the triangulation thing. I'm not counting the full charging speed as a bonus to jump, just the improved speed from spring. The basic equation is Base Sprint Speed (150 ft.) x2 (charge) + minimum jump distance (66 ft (1(min) + 17(Str) +48(Speed Bonus)). I actually should have added reach (20 ft.), so in reality the number is more like 385-405 ft. (average 395.5 ft.) horizontal movement, or 130-150 ft. (140.5 ft.).

Arcanist
2012-11-01, 02:25 AM
My favorite method of killing the tarrasque is waiting for it to fall asleep after it's 1-3 day rampage and move it's 4-16 year sleeping ass to a very undesirable location (Say... The heart of a raging Volcano?) via Greater Teleport (no save, no SR)... Just gotta make sure that you have a contingent teleport set up to port you out of there the moment you take damage from lava. Bam. The Tarrasque is now sealed in a living hell and you are free to do as you please...

animewatcha
2012-11-01, 03:08 AM
Except, you know, the monster manual entry saying the Big T can only be perma-killed by a Wish spell. Dropping its HP to below 0 doesn't matter much with Regeneration 40 that can't be overcome.

In books that came out at the beginning of 3.5. Not having been updated in accordance to methods concoctable (sp?) via usage of different feats, items, etc.

Heck, you could still the combo on different traps set to go off on the guy every round ( make sure the trap is immune to disintegrate ) and you pretty much 'perma-killed' him.

Wizards didn't exactly intend for wizards to persist Time Stop. Or even for Pun-Pun to come into being.

Blkmge
2012-11-01, 04:15 AM
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dkb1/dnd/tarrasque.txt
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/how-to-kill-the-tarrasque-at-10th-level

>.>
<.<

Hope those help!

GnomeGninjas
2012-11-01, 05:30 AM
In books that came out at the beginning of 3.5. Not having been updated in accordance to methods concoctable (sp?) via usage of different feats, items, etc.

Heck, you could still the combo on different traps set to go off on the guy every round ( make sure the trap is immune to disintegrate ) and you pretty much 'perma-killed' him.

Wizards didn't exactly intend for wizards to persist Time Stop. Or even for Pun-Pun to come into being.

I don't see what Wizards not understanding the game has to do with anything. It can only be killed with wish.