PDA

View Full Version : Best skill list on modern/near future RPGs

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-31, 11:19 AM
Do you guys know any game set in the near future with a good skill list? All I've tried have enormous lists and overall bad presentation.
Shadowrun has weird divisions, GURPS, d6 and Fuzion all have too many skills, d20 Modern just doesn't feel right, having all the problems the D&D skill system has. GUMSHOE is too focused.
I heard good things about the skill list on New World of Darkness, but I don't own any of those books and they are kind of expensive.
Any help, folks?

Narren
2012-10-31, 11:39 AM
Do you guys know any game set in the near future with a good skill list? All I've tried have enormous lists and overall bad presentation.
Shadowrun has weird divisions, GURPS, d6 and Fuzion all have too many skills, d20 Modern just doesn't feel right, having all the problems the D&D skill system has. GUMSHOE is too focused.
I heard good things about the skill list on New World of Darkness, but I don't own any of those books and they are kind of expensive.
Any help, folks?

One thing I like about World of Darkness is that it isn't level-based, your experience goes straight into the individual skills or attributes. It just feels more fluid and realistic. In D&D, the most learned sage is going to have to have a lot of levels in order to have enough skill points, so therefor will have a lot of hit dice, which equals BAB, HP, and saving throw bonuses. In WoD, you can just say that he put those points in his knowledge skills, and there's no need to touch the other skills. You can...there's no reason that scholar CAN'T have lots of health and be a good shot (if he's accumulated the experience), it just isn't required.

docnessuno
2012-10-31, 11:50 AM
Straight from V20 (VTM 20th anniversary)

Talents: Can be used "untrained" with no penality
Alertness
Athletics
Awareness
Brawl
Empathy
Expression
Intimidation
Leadership
Streetwise
Subterfuge

Skills: Can be used "untrained" with a penality
Animal Ken
Crafts
Drive
Etiquette
Firearms
Larceny
Melee
Performance
Stealth
Survival

Knowledges: Cannot be used "untrained"
Academics
Computer
Finance
Investigation
Law
Medicine
Occult
Politics
Science
Technology

Every ability level of 4+ (may vary when adapting it to other systems) grants a "specialization", a particular subfield where the character is expert. once one is unlocked, more specializations can be acquired for that ability.

Everything else is considered a "secondary ability" in one of these three groups. Secondary abilities works just as normal ones, but require half XP to acquire.

The ability list can be tweaked and adapted to represent the importance of certain competencies in different setting. In a modern urban setting with a focus on political backstabbing stuff like riding and piloting are not "first class" abilities, while in a different setting stuff like finance or politics can be less useful.

Absol197
2012-10-31, 12:02 PM
Compare to the New World of Darkness skill list:

Mental Skills (-3 unskilled penalty):
Academics
Computer
Crafts
Investigation
Medicine
Occult
Politics
Science

Physical Skills (-1 unskilled penalty):
Athletics
Brawl
Drive
Firearms
Larceny
Stealth
Survival
Weaponry

Social Skills (-1 unskilled penalty):
Animal Ken
Empathy
Expression
Intimidation
Persuasion
Socialize
Streetwise
Subterfuge

Any skill in which you have one "rank" allows you to choose one or more specialties (as explained above). Specialties are cheaper than full "ranks," but are only applicable in sub-fields of the skill.

~Phoenix~

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-31, 12:16 PM
Hm, there is something I like about the Serenity RPG, you are forced to specialize. You can only go up to a d6 in any skill, then you have to branch into specializations.