PDA

View Full Version : Weapons of Legacy

Vknight
2012-10-31, 02:27 PM
So I'm creating a group of Weapons of Legacy.
...And there is the major problem. I have the book but how do I go about making a weapon of Legacy, what abilities can I give them among other things.
Basically how would I do these weapons as Weapon of Legacy?

Anyways Backstory for the NPC and weapons
The Storm Lord, a mage, a warrior, the Lord forged weapons for each aspect of the storm. Unknown why but these weapons hold great power and have won wars.

The weapons should also have an ability for there brother weapon. Something that involves having the two together. Maybe increasing there bonuses or imparting a use of a spell

Cracking Sky(Lightning)
Weapon: Bastard Sword
Brother: Shout

Abilities; Of course electrical damage. Sky also causes surges of power maybe boosting stats like using a rage but instead inflicting damage as it shocks your body to fuel the rage surge of power. Silver Weapon

Shout(Thunder)
Weapon: Greatsword
Brother: Cracking Sky

Abilities; Cutting through hardness, inflicting extra damage to objects and generally other effects that are sonic based. Admantine weapon

Spiraling Eye(Wind)
Weapon: Rapier or Scimitar maybe even a Elven Curve Blade
Brother: Shade

Abilities; Making touch attacks or maybe single target ability at a close range. Maybe some abilities that causes other minor effects increased speed and accuracy. Mithrail weapon

Shade(Darkness)
Weapon: Something more potent and vicious like a axe or kukri
Brother: Spiraling Eye

Abilities; Darkvision, causing blindness and other concealment based effects. Silver Weapon

Falling Surge(Water)
Weapon: Probably a spear or other weapon which is fast and or reaching
Brother: Crystal Dance

Abilities; Making secondary minor attacks or increasing the weapons reach. Something that is a touch attack dealing increasing damage. Cold Iron weapon

Crystal Dance(Hail)
Weapon: The only one I have no clue on
Brother: Falling Surge

Abilities; Lots of area things and other abilities which cause minor nasty setbacks. Cold Iron weapon.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-31, 02:37 PM
I assume you're already set on using WoL? If not, I hope you're at least prepared for the flood of "WoL sucks, use something else" comments.

I'd like to help, but I'll need you to be more specific about what you're not getting.

Vknight
2012-10-31, 04:28 PM
I assume you're already set on using WoL? If not, I hope you're at least prepared for the flood of "WoL sucks, use something else" comments.

I'd like to help, but I'll need you to be more specific about what you're not getting.

Well what would you suggest outside of Legacy, cause I'd prefer something over it if
Just the system is there any limits etc. I want these items to be more powerful then a normal magical item and also unique

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-31, 04:38 PM
Well what would you suggest outside of Legacy, cause I'd prefer something over it if
Just the system is there any limits etc. I want these items to be more powerful then a normal magical item and also unique

WoL gets you some undeniably unique stuff, but it's not necessarily going to get you anything that much more powerful than normal. This is especially true of weapons. If you want magic weapons, there's a variant in DMG2 that allows for non-casters to improve their weapons. You can just use the normal magic weapon construction to make some nice shiny weapons, give them backstories to cover how they weren't made by wizards and why wizards can't change them, maybe tack on WoL's rules for restoring a destroyed legacy item for good measure and/or even tack on some kind of activation ritual if you like.

Don't get me wrong, I really like WoL; but it takes some serious outside the box thinking and at least a little homebrew to make it really shine, and even then weapons are a real weak-point when compared to legacies of most any other item-type.

Vknight
2012-10-31, 06:54 PM
Ah ok
Thanks hmm gives me some ideas

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-31, 08:02 PM
WoL is okay if you remove all penalties associated with them.

Arcanist
2012-10-31, 09:37 PM
WoL is okay if you remove all penalties associated with them.

But however will us lolWizard's defend ourselves! Everyone knows that 3.5 Wizards are trash! :smallfrown:

But in all seriousness this is a reasonable modification to WoL :smalltongue:

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-01, 12:38 AM
I keep seeing the comment about dropping the penalties, but unless you're going to be picking up multiple legacies they really aren't bad at all.

For many of the non-weapon legacies a no-penalty version would essentially be getting something for nearly free. The gp costs associated with legacies are a drop in the bucket compared to a similar item made with the normal item construction rules.

Serpentine
2012-11-01, 12:54 AM
I really like Weapons of Legacy (I'm generally the one that comes leaping to their defence around here... :smalltongue:), and I'm actually thinking about compiling a hopefully easy-to-follow How To Build Weapons Of Legacy Guide (the instructions really are pretty hard to follow and not at all comprehensive). However, it looks like here you're wanting someone to build them for you? Although I've done it before (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11338741&postcount=47), frankly it takes a lot of work, and it's nothing you can't do yourself if you have the book in front of you. If it's just ideas you're after, well, we can help with that.

For WoL in general, I like to replace the mechanical penalties with roleplaying penalties, restrictions or requirements, reduce the monetary costs, and fluff the monetary costs as being required to complete the rituals (which means, theoretically, the cost could potentially go up or down depending upon circumstances and bargaining skills).

eggs
2012-11-01, 01:00 AM
I really like Weapons of Legacy (I'm generally the one that comes leaping to their defence around here... :smalltongue:), and I'm actually thinking about compiling a hopefully easy-to-follow How To Build Weapons Of Legacy Guide (the instructions really are pretty hard to follow and not at all comprehensive).
Just curious, were you aware of the Building a Weapon of Legacy, for dummies (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5907) guide? It sounds like someone's done the legwork for you, unless there was another spin you wanted to put on it.

Serpentine
2012-11-01, 01:08 AM
Yessssss, that's just the sort of thing I want - and OP, you should go look at that.
It is missing one bit I'd want to include, though: a "typical slot X ability" thing. So (and this is completely inaccurate, but it's just an example), I'd have something like "Least Abilities, Slot A, can be: Cantrip at will, Level 1 Spell 3/day, Level 1 Spell as a Swift Action 1/day, or Level 2 Spell 1/day".
That way the user can have a vague idea of what sort of abilities they should be using if they want to use one that's not already on the list.

Vknight
2012-11-01, 01:11 AM
Not wanting others to build it but demonstrating them for when I actually build them so I can post it up here for critique