PDA

View Full Version : --5 Min. D&D Rush--

Bulix
2012-10-31, 04:32 PM
Hello,
I have 4 friends at school. Only one likes D&D, sorta. The others have not tried it. I would show them but they would immediately reject it due to "It's so complicated!". So, this is a real challenge (I have no idea, I come to you), I need a 5 Minute Version of D&D, that is to the point, extremely simple characters and mostly funny, since that's what would most catch their attention.
Any ideas? Anything already exists? IT HAS TO BE REALLY CASUAL.

Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

eggs
2012-10-31, 04:38 PM
Does it have to be 3e/d20?
Compact games like Dungeon World (http://www.dungeon-world.com/) require about as much setup/instruction time as board games, and are much easier to teach.

EDIT: Apparently, the DW web site hid the free booklet and pulled the marketed booklet from sales. Maybe scratch that particular suggestion. But Old School Hack (http://www.oldschoolhack.net/) is similarly easy to use.

Kane0
2012-10-31, 04:38 PM
Simplify ALL the D&D!

Get them to think of a character. They could be a mighty mage, a wise healer, a sturdy warrior, a cunning thief, etc.

Give them each a d20.

Give them a scenario and ask them what they do.

They roll the d20 to determine success vs your d20 roll.

If they are enticed gradually add in stats, skills, class abilities and such until you have a rules lite D&D

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-31, 04:47 PM
Hello,
I have 4 friends at school. Only one likes D&D, sorta. The others have not tried it. I would show them but they would immediately reject it due to "It's so complicated!". So, this is a real challenge (I have no idea, I come to you), I need a 5 Minute Version of D&D, that is to the point, extremely simple characters and mostly funny, since that's what would most catch their attention.
Any ideas? Anything already exists? IT HAS TO BE REALLY CASUAL.

Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

Bold #1 there is a big hurdle if you want to try and get them into 3.5, and no such thing as bold #2 there exists, to my knowledge.

Maybe you would do better to try and get them into PNP RPG's with some other, simpler system first, and then try to talk them into D&D.

Assuming you and your friend have both played before, you could try and pique their interest with anecdotes. Tell them about all the awesome adventures you guys have had since getting into the hobby, then after you've convinced them to give it a shot give them some prebuilt characters to try out an adventure on; simple almost non-builds like a straight-out-of-the-PHB barbarian or rogue. If they want to sling magic give them a warlock or a DFA. Under no circumstances give an utter noob a full-caster of higher than 1st level.

If you're into it, you might even try to start them off on (ugh) 4e. I don't care for that edition, myself, but I can't deny it's a fair bit easier to get into the hobby with.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-31, 04:58 PM
Don't use D&D. Use a simpler system.

ericgrau
2012-10-31, 05:06 PM
Try premade characters with the important parts of class features (rage stat bumps, notes on each and every spell, etc.) written right on the character sheet. For similar classes like wizard/sorcerer and fighter/barbarian pick a different style for each, avoiding stereotypes if possible. Start at level 1-2, but plan them out to a couple more levels before letting the players take over the builds. This way you can let them pick a character then jump right in to playing, explaining as you go.

For example:
THF barbarian
party buffing cleric
buffing/battlefield control/(later) wildshape druid
archer fighter
sword-and-board paladin
battlefield control sorcerer
blaster wizard

The first session you should focus only on thwacking monster with sword and casting X spell. Don't even include rogues/rangers/monks/bards until later sessions, possibly as premade dead character replacements. Heck leave skills blank for now (and especially don't call for spot checks, try "you see X, roll initiative"). I'd stick to core for now too.

Once they get a feel for the system encourage them to make their own characters. Then later expand to more books. I have cheat sheets in my sig you can hand out as well, so they can look up how to do unusual things quickly.

RFLS
2012-10-31, 05:11 PM
Use 4e

In seriousness, D&D is just not the system for simple. If you absolutely have to use 3.5, explain a basic combat round and then hand out a Fighter, a Rogue, a Sorcerer, and a Cleric with pre-picked spells.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-31, 05:55 PM
Use 4e

4e is indeed a lot simpler than 3.5

Laserlight
2012-10-31, 05:56 PM
I need a 5 Minute Version of D&D

You can get a five minute description of a role playing game (see Xtreme Dungeon Mastery), but it's not going to be D&D

Eldariel
2012-10-31, 06:31 PM
This is pretty much what dungeon delves are. You have premade character sheet that lists all your relevant combat actions, skills that matter and such. Each comes with a description of what it is (often just class name). Go from there.

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-31, 06:48 PM
Try THIS (http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/). Once that gets them hooked, then it's time to try the real deal.

herrhauptmann
2012-10-31, 07:20 PM
Premade character sheets are the way to go. If you can, put the final modifiers in a different color:
Roll to see if you hit: The red dice, (d20) and the green number (to hit bonus).
Roll damage (white dice, with red number)
You'll need to highlight:
3 Saves, Attack bonus, Damage bonus, AC, total HP.

If the barbarian says, "I want to rage." Take his sheet away, and hand him his raging sheet. Set it up exactly like the old sheet, with same colors. After it's over, tell him he's weak as a kitten, and hand him his post-rage sheet.

Casters:
Give them their spell descriptions, complete with the saves that your monster have to beat already written down. Any variable effect of the spell, duration, strength, exact effects, write it down for them.

If you want to get them interested in the game overall, I'd also suggest the original Neverwinter Nights (or certain other games). Remind them that the game is almost 10 years old, so graphics aren't going to be mindblowing.

Loki_42
2012-10-31, 08:52 PM
Well, you could use Risus, it can be fluffed as D&D. But I agree, you're not gonna get simple out of 3.5.

Eugenides
2012-10-31, 09:14 PM
Try THIS (http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/). Once that gets them hooked, then it's time to try the real deal.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. It's all the fun of DnD, but so silly, OH SO SILLY.

roguemetal
2012-10-31, 10:33 PM
Munchkin takes way more than 5 minutes to play.

For D&D I would suggest fudging stats and just giving the flavor of the game. Ignore all social checks and just do a short roleplaying session with something truly generic. A story of a stolen jewel that the kingdom tells the heroes to find, or soemthing like that. Then with the few characters, give them three challenges, one talking based, one trap/puzzle based and one combat. It shouldn't take too long if you can talk fast. Don't worry about the other players slowing you down, and ignore misinterpretations of the rules for now, just have them roll and make it seem interesting. I emphasize, talk fast, you'll see the players will follow suit.

Knaight
2012-10-31, 11:20 PM
I'd recommend starting with Warrior Rogue and Mage. It's only 20 pages of player relevant-rules.

Twilightwyrm
2012-11-01, 12:06 AM
I'll second the pre-built idea. Have a standard load out for each of the major character classes, and have them choose, and give them a starting scenario to tackle, taking care of all the game mechanics "behind the scenes" as it were, so that all the math, except perhaps the dice rolling, is dealt with by you. Reveal more stats to the players as they care to learn more
If you've ever player Fire Emblem you'll know what I'm talking about. For a new player, the game starts off by just showing you how to attack people, quickly telling what weapons are good against others, and how to use your weapons/magic. As the player goes along and gets harder, they pick up on the importance of the stats, the different weapons, and usefulness of different characters, etc, and learn to customize them more. Finally, if the player is truly interested, they can figure out how the entire system works, simply by looking at it, or in this case, asking you. (Fire Emblem uses a deceptively simple system, basically akin to rolling d%s instead of d20s for all random considerations, and letting straight stats decide the rest) From here, they can customize their characters more and more, until they are playing the game we all know and love.

BowStreetRunner
2012-11-01, 09:42 AM
Munchkin takes way more than 5 minutes to play.

I assumed the OP meant 5 minutes to learn.

Novawurmson
2012-11-01, 10:17 AM
How do you feel about Pathfinder? The Beginner's Box is pretty decent for a "quick and dirty 3.5."

Zubrowka74
2012-11-01, 02:36 PM
Get a hold of the old Basic box. It's not quite the same. In fact it's really an oversimplified version of the 1e, with a lot of options missing. Sure, you have THAC0 and negative AC and other such nonsens, but it could be converted to D20. I'm sure someone has done it before.

the_david
2012-11-01, 02:48 PM
Try Microlite20. You'll find it is just what you're looking for.

Arcanist
2012-11-01, 02:55 PM
I'd recommend starting with Warrior Rogue and Mage. It's only 20 pages of player relevant-rules.

I did this for my players and told them the best 3 words I've ever uttered as a DM at the start of a game with new players "Roll for Initiative" :smallamused:

Start with the hardest part (imo Combat. Everything else is just RP'ing) and if you can get that you're good. 3.5 was seriously the simplest system I've ever learned. (It's those blasted d10 systems that get to me...)

Thiyr
2012-11-01, 03:38 PM
Start with the hardest part (imo Combat. Everything else is just RP'ing) and if you can get that you're good. 3.5 was seriously the simplest system I've ever learned. (It's those blasted d10 systems that get to me...)

Strangely, this hits on a useful point (well, admittedly theory on my part, but still relevant I think). The implication was that the rules are what's complicated, but I remember my first experience getting into pen and paper back in high school (nWoD, for the curious) being confused by the RP end of things. I had _anything_ my character could do, how could I know what was allowed? The whole "anything doesn't mean anything" trained into me by open world video games. That said, while I didn't pursue it, my strength academically has always been in the math end of things. I was playing with a bunch of theatre kids though, so it was rules light. Once i started d&d in college, it was with more of the math-science crowd. The rules were easy for me to get, and I found that my ability to RP was actually above average due to my past experience.

That's sorta meandering off point a tad, but the important bit is that what's confusing may end up being based on what their strong suits are. Rules won't be as hard to pick up if they're already fairly solid with math, science and the like, but RP may be more daunting. Vice-versa for people stronger in the humanities. Tailor what you're doing around that. Premade chars are pretty much the way to go first time out, but outside of that it's a question of which side will be the bigger trouble for each player. If you've got a mixed crowd, focus on the numbers a bit more, 'cause then you've got assistants to help more people out. I doubt 5 minutes will be enough, but if they're interested it'll be enough to get at least a hook in.

Arcanist
2012-11-01, 04:01 PM
Summary: Focus on your weakest point to make it your strongest point and make your strongest point even stronger.

I hope that is what you're saying (because it's what I got from what you said). My first DM never focused on this (I'm an RP'er, but 4 years of D&D made me really expand my interest into Politics, Science, Human Relations, Mathematics, Art, History and most importantly, it made me ask the grand question of "Why?")

However he (my first DM) had... a Charisma about him that just made everyone at the table follow his every word. Charisma really does play an important role when you're teaching someone anything.