PDA

View Full Version : Question about spellbook limitation

Story
2012-10-31, 06:15 PM
Hi, I am new to D&D, (though I'm a longtime reader of OOTS), and have been reading d20srd.org

However, there is one thing I am really confused by. Sorcerors are normally considered to have a much more restricted repertoire of spells than Wizards. But assuming a 100 page limitation to the spellbook and going by these tables (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm), a 15th level Sorceror will actually know more spells than a Wizard can fit into their spellbook, and the difference increases with each level. Is there something I'm missing?

eggs
2012-10-31, 06:17 PM
The wizard can buy more books.

kardar233
2012-10-31, 06:18 PM
Plus a Blessed Book (which is in the SRD I believe) can have a whole ton of spells in it.

jmelesky
2012-10-31, 06:27 PM
Plus a Blessed Book (which is in the SRD I believe) can have a whole ton of spells in it.

Quite so. It's right here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook).

Story
2012-10-31, 06:35 PM
Thanks, that explains it.

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-31, 06:35 PM
There is, in fact, no limit to the number of spells a wizard can 'know'. And they don't actually have to have them in their spell-book to be known. If a wizard loses her spell-book, the spells in it still count as spells known, but she cannot memorize them again until she finds another written copy.

It is perfectly normal for a high-level wizard to have an actual library of spell-books, although only carrying a smaller, more portable book into the field with the most useful spells inside. The spells in books back home still count as known spells, but only the ones in the field book can be memorized each day.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-11-01, 07:56 AM
With enough, spellbooks, money, time and access a wizard can theoretically know every wizard spell. He would end up having to manage a library of dozens of books but hey, when you can just transport yourself to your own private plane of existence on a whim, managing a load of books is the least of your worries.

Interesting thought, has anyone ever calculated how many spell pages a wizard would need to scribe all the spells in core/the spell compendium/3.5?

karkus
2012-11-01, 05:45 PM
There's also a prestige class in Complete Arcane, I believe, called the Geometer, which allows for you to use only ONE page per spell, no matter what the level is.

Marnath
2012-11-01, 05:54 PM
With enough, spellbooks, money, time and access a wizard can theoretically know every wizard spell. He would end up having to manage a library of dozens of books but hey, when you can just transport yourself to your own private plane of existence on a whim, managing a load of books is the least of your worries.

Interesting thought, has anyone ever calculated how many spell pages a wizard would need to scribe all the spells in core/the spell compendium/3.5?

I believe I had it calculated in the 1,600-1,700 range when I added them up. That was a while ago though.