PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help GM'ing

Phoenixguard09
2012-10-31, 07:56 PM
Hey guys,

I see these threads a lot and hope that perhaps I might be able to get a little bit of help from this esteemed community, as so many have before me.

Now I'm not entirely sure what I'm after, but I think I'd just like to run this by GitP and see if anyone perhaps has some suggestions with regards to stuff I can do.

So let me begin by saying thank you to anyone who read this far. I appreciate it, especially if you would be so kind as to comment.

The Situation
I am running a test game for a system and setting of my own devising, the details of which can be found by following this link. The setting is called Norbayne. (http://s4.zetaboards.com/Battlehammer/forum/3847483/)

It has been a real labour of love for me for quite a while now, having had the idea for the setting a fair time back. I won't go into any great detail about the setting here though. If you're interested, please go check out the link.

Now I have run many solo games, and a handful of group games, but I've never had four players at once. We had our first session about two weeks ago, and everyone seemed to have fun, but as the GM I can't help but start to stress a little about making sure that everyone has a good time.

So my first question is if anyone has any suggestions regarding the best way to split my attention between four very different players?

The Players
I guess I should probably go into a little detail about the group in particular here.
Harold Oakenshield, an old Invarrian Duellist. Invarrians are dog-men in my setting with a culture and style that is somewhere between pirates and vikings. He is played by a good friend of mine whom I've played several solo games with. He's also had a little experience GM'ing, though not as much as I have.
Maebh Raven-Wing, a Danann Mage. Danann are carnivorous elves basically, though there is a lot more to it. She is played by my girlfriend, who hasn't played before, though she's very much a gamer girl, so she's doing pretty well.
Breanna Blackrose, a Leathe Assassin. Leathe are short, arboreal possum-people. She is played by my younger sister, who tends to be a real crack up, but keeping her focused can be a bit of a hassle.
And lastly, Kel'Serrar, another Danann, but this time a Ranger. He's played by another friend of mine and he seems to fit in pretty well. He's also the only player who has really had much experience with RP.

If you read through that, you can see that all in all I've got a pretty damned good group. We're all pretty close and we don't seem to have any "poisonous" individuals. Admittedly, we've only played one session, but I think it's fair to say that everyone's pretty good.

That being said, we still have some problems. Harold's player tends to be a little obnoxious (he's a great guy, but he does tend to think quite highly of himself) and because of this, the others like to give him a bit of a hard time if his character muffs something up. All this is out of character of course, which tends to derail things a little. I don't mind the derailment so much, but I do worry because I want him to be enjoying himself too, something which is difficult to do when the rest of the players are making fun of him. So I guess my second request is if anyone could suggest a way to curb this OOC a little without coming across like "Dragon GM."

The Story
I think I might begin to wrap this up pretty soon, but I did want to see if I could get a bit of help regarding my storyline. If you're one of my players, and you know who you are, please don't read the following. You've been warned.

Really guys. You have. :P

Now I have them all in a little town called Summer Hill, which is on the border of two kingdoms, yet independent of both. Now, one kingdom (or queen-dom I guess) really badly wants the town, while the other is willing to let them keep their independence. Neither kingdom is particularly friendly with the other, though they are not at war. Yet at least.

Just over a day's travel to the north, ancient ruins have just recently been stumbled upon. I know, it's a bit cliche but I figure that it works well enough.

Anyway, the party has been hired by this merchant bloke, Petyr Rangard, to go and explore the ruins. If they find anything interesting, he'll buy it off them.

They don't know it, but there's more to Rangard than meets the eye. They might suspect it though, I'm not entirely sure. :P

He's hired them hoping they'll find a Focus Stone, which are magical tools crafted by the greatest mages of the past to help them channel their power. They're pretty rare, with even the lowest of them being exceptionally difficult to find. Rangard has reason to believe that there is one in these ruins, one which is really damned powerful.

It's not anywhere near as powerful as he hoped though, which sort of screws his plans over a little. :D

He is a good guy though, just an untrustworthy one. Well maybe not a good guy, but he's for Summer Hill, which I think makes him an acceptable shade of grey.

His plans?

When he was made aware of a cult of warlocks under the employ of the Queen of Elspeth, which had infiltrated Summer Hill and are planning on releasing a daemonic entity to weaken the town from within, Rangard hatched an idea to give the stone to a mage he trusted implicitly.

He sent the mage into the ruins with a hired group, however the group planned to betray him. The mage found out and warned Rangard, however the group killed him in retaliation.

Knowing the cult is getting ever closer to its goal, Rangard hired a ragtag band of misfits (the PC's :P ) to go into the ruins and find the stone, not having much of a plan now beyond that.

What the group's up to and what I want to do next

Well the group has only just found the ruins, having been waylaid by bandits upon the road. (It was a planned encounter. ;) )

I plan on having them find the Stone, and Maebh recognising and using it. At some point over the next few sessions I would like her to somehow earn Rangard's trust, intending as the GM for her to be the mage he requires.

I intend to have the cult release their daemon at some stage.

What I would like is ideas regarding twists and turns in the plot. At the moment, to me it seems a little straightforward, so I'd like to have a handful of ideas regarding plot twists which could be implemented at some stage.

So to summarise:
Would anyone have any suggestions on how to split my attention between four very different players?
How could I curb out of character chatter a little without coming appearing to tell them to shut up and sit down? ;)
What situations could I toss up which would get Rangard to trust Maebh, an introverted carnivorous elf?
Any ideas regarding plot-twists and such would be very much appreciated.

Thank you again if you managed to read all of this. I'm very much impressed if you did so.

Cheers,

Machinekng
2012-10-31, 10:03 PM
So to summarise:
Would anyone have any suggestions on how to split my attention between four very different players?
How could I curb out of character chatter a little without coming appearing to tell them to shut up and sit down? ;)
What situations could I toss up which would get Rangard to trust Maebh, an introverted carnivorous elf?

Thank you again if you managed to read all of this. I'm very much impressed if you did so.

Cheers,

Interesting concepts.

1. This is an issue for me as well when I GM. It's hard to do so, especially if there's a lot of chatter, but it's possible to help alleviate this by delegating non-essential tasks (i.e. solo adventures, shopping, leveling, world discussion, etc...) outside of the session time, so you can focus on playing the game. It's also helpful that if you have to talk with a particular individual that the other players are making plans and other wise being productive.

2. Well, referencing Harold's player's predicament, a simple chuckle and "take it easy guys, it's only a game" should sufice. Just make sure to keep your players engaged and to curb distractions if nesecary. Theme music can be used to help immerse your players.

3. That's a toughie. Perhaps the cultists, catching a wiff of his plans, decide to eliminate him, and Maebh's in the right place and time to stop them?

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-10-31, 11:03 PM

Time management. Keep a small clock in your head and never give one player more than 5-10 minutes of your time to the exclusion of the others. The GM is a Big-Picture job, so you can't always give one player all the time they need to figure things out. Out of session is different obviously, but in-session I always try to give the other players something interesting to collaborate on, like planning how they can screw the nearest NPCs over, while I talk to one.

A little OOC chit-chat is okay. As long as it's tangentially related to the game or the challenges at hand, I don't see a problem. If it's a problem in your mind, make it In-Character razzing.

Example: When I'm with my players and one of them screws something up, I go to another one who got effected by the screw-up (got knocked into sewage because of the Bard's Summon Large Centipede, got hit by rogue firing into melee, etc) and I say, "Are you gonna take that from that knife-eared elf? He humiliated you!"

As long as the screw-up was in character, the reactions should be too.

Put Rangard in a position only a Mage can save him from. Like, an ancient magical trap has caught him, and the spell is technically sentient and alive. It's also a little senile and insane as far as spells go, so it thinks Maebh is it's caster and will obey her command to let Rangard alone.

Well, what about that other Kingdom? The one who is alright with Summer Hill remaining independent? What does it get out of that deal? Is Summer Hill a buffer zone against Elspith? Is it the Russian Empire to Summer Hill's Serbia? If so, then there may be spies and the like from both sides in the town.

Perhaps as soon as Rangard gets the Stone the party is besieged by waves of spies and assassins all trying to bribe the stone away or violently murder the one's keeping it's "obvious ultimate power" for themselves.

Or, going another route...why was the Stone left there? Is it the seal on an ancient magical barrier keeping back untold horrors from overrunning the town? If it was just left somewhere, maybe it's defective, and trying to use it causes a Mass-Zombie-Apocalypse.

Hope some of this helps.

Phoenixguard09
2012-10-31, 11:59 PM
Interesting concepts.
Thank you. :) As I said, it's been a real labour of love making it interesting. ;)

3. That's a toughie. Perhaps the cultists, catching a wiff of his plans, decide to eliminate him, and Maebh's in the right place and time to stop them?

Hmm, I did think of this but I was thinking that it might have been a little bit simple. It would work though which is the main thing. ;)

A little OOC chit-chat is okay. As long as it's tangentially related to the game or the challenges at hand, I don't see a problem. If it's a problem in your mind, make it In-Character razzing.

As long as the screw-up was in character, the reactions should be too.

It's not so much the OOC as the razzing itself. That and his inevitable response. In your opinions, it wouldn't be too presumptuous of me to say outright that I'd like more IC interaction this time round? I mean, I know as the GM that it's within my power to do so, but I don't want to come across like I'm telling them how to play, especially since the other three really seem to enjoy it.

Put Rangard in a position only a Mage can save him from. Like, an ancient magical trap has caught him, and the spell is technically sentient and alive. It's also a little senile and insane as far as spells go, so it thinks Maebh is it's caster and will obey her command to let Rangard alone.
That's a really good idea and I like it a lot. I might pinch that, combining both your suggestion and Machinekng's.

As for your suggestions Ninja, a previous ruler of Naille (the other kingdom) owed the past ruler of Summer Hill a debt. Without going into the gritty details, there was a war and Summer Hill was part of the alliance. As such, Naille agreed to let them keep their independence.

Elspeth is really a city-state which branched off from Naille almost two hundred years ago. It has quite a Spartan sort of culture (Agoge style education system and the like. :P ) but that's about where the Greek influence ends. Anyway, Summer Hill is quite wealthy so Elspeth has always wanted it, something Naille has opposed due to their ancient debt. Naille's king has only recently died and the succession is a bit muddied, hence why Elspeth's Queen is choosing now to strike. So to sum it all up, Naille doesn't get much out of the deal, save honour, a ridiculously outdated notion even in Norbayne, but hey. Some people are better than others. ;)

I do like the idea of having assassins and the like come after the Stone instead of the party. That's efinitely something I can use.

As to why the stone was there, it's just something an ancient mage made to help him focus a bit better. It's not really very special at all. That and I've already planned a bit of a zombie apocalypse. :D

Thanks both of you for commenting, and thank you all for reading.

I appreciate it very much,

MarsRendac
2012-11-01, 12:16 AM
Machinekng pretty much covered the banter issue just fine.

As far as your zompocalypse idea goes, it would definitely be an interesting twist (assuming a good or at least mostly non-evil party) if the players ended up with the idea that "hey we should try to get ALL of these" and that's where the zombies come from. Perhaps the Focus Stones were sealed away because they were found to amplify the power of fiends, and so when a daemon is released, it's a far greater threat now that the Stones are actively in use again.

Phoenixguard09
2012-11-05, 05:05 AM
Well here's the first session's write-up if anyone is interested. Perhaps it might give a better idea of the razzing situation than I was able to express.

Suffice to say, I cut a fair bit of the OOC stuff, while keeping the genuinely hilarious instances.

Thanks again guys,