PDA

View Full Version : A question about the Grease spell [3.5]

Razgriez
2012-10-31, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone, got a quick question relating to the Grease Spell

At the end of last weeks session, when I unveiled the boss of a quest the party is on, one of my players casted a grease spell at the target, ( an Orc Barbarian) weapon, ( a great axe). The Orc made the save, but there's a bit of disagreement on how Grease's targeted item function works out.

My self, and another player (who is also the DM of another campaign that I'm a part of) view it that in the case of a Item Targeted Grease, that if the owner passed the first Reflex check to avoid the spell, that's it, the spell ends. No further check required.

The Wizard who casted the spell, however, thinks I need to keep rolling Reflex saves in future rounds anyways to try and keep holding onto it.

So who's right? Does the first save negate further effects? Or is it like failing it on the first check anyways, and having to pass further checks to see if the Orc will hold onto the weapon. Who's right in this matter?

eggs
2012-10-31, 08:07 PM
"A saving throw must be made in each round that the creature attempts to ... use the greased item."
(http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/grease.htm)
It's a pretty badass spell.

Razgriez
2012-10-31, 08:14 PM
I get that, but that's the thing, on one hand, it implies that if the possessor of an item passes the save when the check is first made, that's it. (I.E. they moved the weapon out of the way when the glob of magical grease comes flying by) But on the other hand, it's also left vague enough to also imply that "No, the first save is just to make sure that you don't drop your weapon, but it's automatically coated anyways"

Answerer
2012-10-31, 08:17 PM
You don't throw a gob of grease, you just conjure the grease already in place. There is nothing you can do to prevent that, you can only make saves to deal with it.

Spuddles
2012-10-31, 08:30 PM
You don't throw a gob of grease, you just conjure the grease already in place. There is nothing you can do to prevent that, you can only make saves to deal with it.

First lin, second paragraph describes how an attended item gets to avoid being covered in Grease.

Answerer
2012-10-31, 08:34 PM
Hrm. It does appear that I misread it. Yeah, it looks like the OP is right.

I basically never use that function anyway.

Spuddles
2012-10-31, 08:47 PM
Hrm. It does appear that I misread it. Yeah, it looks like the OP is right.

I basically never use that function anyway.

Yeah I am playing PF and the disarming function seemed useful, but upon reread- meh.

Answerer
2012-10-31, 08:49 PM
Against the right opponent, it's a pretty solid save-or-suck. But the floor version of grease is more of a "suck-and-save-or-suck-more" spell, which is kind of obviously superior.

Spuddles
2012-10-31, 09:09 PM
Against the right opponent, it's a pretty solid save-or-suck. But the floor version of grease is more of a "suck-and-save-or-suck-more" spell, which is kind of obviously superior.

Yup. Plus its interaction with shape spell is delicious.

prufock
2012-10-31, 09:44 PM
First save avoids the effect. If the first save passes, no need for other saves. If the first save fails, the item is dropped and a new save must be made each round they try to pick it up or use it.

Zahhak
2012-10-31, 10:05 PM
For what it's worth, the rule in my group is that if you made the save by just a few points then the grease is on the weapon and will continue to slide down it to your hands, requiring additional saves. A save by a large margin means that you completely avoided it, and you're good.

Then again, my group lets you set a grease spell on fire.

Twilightwyrm
2012-11-01, 12:10 AM
For what it's worth, the rule in my group is that if you made the save by just a few points then the grease is on the weapon and will continue to slide down it to your hands, requiring additional saves. A save by a large margin means that you completely avoided it, and you're good.

Then again, my group lets you set a grease spell on fire.

You must be using petrol instead of butter for your grease spells! Ingenious!

Averis Vol
2012-11-01, 12:43 AM
Ahhh....I remember my first experience with grease.....

My war wizard cast it high up in a tree where he thought he heard something.

next round four elven archers fall out of it unconscious :smallbiggrin:

that being said, you don't save to negate the grease, you save to see if you dropped the weapon.

tell me, have you ever tried to even swing a blade when the handle was wet? i tried it last summer and ended up in the hospital with a sliced open forearm.

I can only assume grease is worse then water.

candycorn
2012-11-01, 01:01 AM
that being said, you don't save to negate the grease, you save to see if you dropped the weapon.

Material objects not in use are always affected by this spell, while an object wielded or employed by a creature receives a Reflex saving throw to avoid the effect.
The first save does avoid the entire effect.

If, however, the item is unattended when targeted, it's subject for the duration. If the item is held, and fails the initial save, it's subject for the duration.

Razgriez
2012-11-01, 04:58 AM
Well it seems the majority of answers is that in this case, because of the use of the targeted item version of the spell was used, and the save made, that the Grease spell failed.

Thanks everyone for the answers, much appreciated.

only1doug
2012-11-01, 05:14 AM
Well it seems the majority of answers is that in this case, because of the use of the targeted item version of the spell was used, and the save made, that the Grease spell failed.

Thanks everyone for the answers, much appreciated.

I also concur with this interpretation.

Unusual Muse
2012-11-01, 12:43 PM

That is a thing of beauty!

ericgrau
2012-11-01, 02:06 PM
You must be using petrol instead of butter for your grease spells! Ingenious!
Butter, lard and grease in general are also flammable. We just don't think of it much because they are so hard to ignite, similar to wax or diesel. A big chunk of flame should do it though, and D&D has 93 different versions of that. Petrol (gasoline for those of us in the United States) is much easier to ignite because it is lighter and releases a lot of vapors.

The spell itself only says that the object is covered with a layer of slippery grease. So the specifics about igniting it are up to the DM, if he even lets it be flammable at all. The general rule for standing in fire is only 1d3 damage per round though, or 1d6 if you yourself are on fire.

Spuddles
2012-11-01, 02:13 PM
Ahhh....I remember my first experience with grease.....

tell me, have you ever tried to even swing a blade when the handle was wet? i tried it last summer and ended up in the hospital with a sliced open forearm.

I can only assume grease is worse then water.

As already pointed out, the first save is indeed to negate the spell effect on your weapon, as per the rules for the spell.

That said, handles tend to slick with blood. If they're meant for that sort of work, the grip will be such that your hand stays on, even if you catch the blade on a rib or sommat.

Slipperychicken
2012-11-01, 11:04 PM
The Grease spell is just another reason for melee-types to use Locked Gauntlets. The ones who use their hands exclusively for murder, anyway.

Archmage1
2012-11-01, 11:08 PM
wait... there are melee types who use their hands for things other than murder? NPC!!! GET HIM