PDA

View Full Version : Outfitting a caster for the first time

Leon_ares
2012-10-31, 09:56 PM
I hope I can find some assistance here. I'm starting in a new 3.5 game and will be playing as a Dread Necromancer 8/Warlock 2 and will be going towards Eldritch Theurge. I know its not optimized but frankly I am trying to keep my optimization low due to my playing companions not being any where near optimized.
But I digress, I am looking at what exactly to buy for a level 10 character with 49k to spend on anything. All I have right now is a Mask of Lies 4.5k to try and ensure I can keep the party face from finding out exactly what I am right off the bat and a deadwalker ring 4k. I am shying away from melee and commanding swarms of undead (at first, I think the DM is wanting to try out large scale warfare at some point in the campaign) so I am trying to max out my casting as best I can.

So 40.5K to spend on frankly anything that isn't in Exalted. Any suggestions?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-31, 10:23 PM
Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC); 15k
Enhancement bonus to Cha added to the Circlet (MIC p234); 4k for +2, 16k for +4, 36k for +6

Warlock's Scepter (MIC); 8,305
Chasuble of Fell Power (MIC); 8k standard, 18k greater

Any/all of the Raiment of the Four set (MIC); 1.1k, 4k, 6k, and 8k

Depending on your Dex, +1 Mithral Breastplate, 5.3k; or +1 Mithral Chain Shirt, 2.1k
+1 Mithral Buckler, 2,165

Deflection bonus to AC added to your ring (MIC p234); 2k for +1, 8k for +2, 18k for +3
Pretty much anything on MIC p234 that would be beneficial.

Eternal Wand (MIC) of Hound of Doom (CW); 10.9k
Eternal Wands of pretty much any useful spell you can think of (Glibness), anyone capable of casting arcane spells can use any eternal wand regardless of what spell list it's from.

I'll highly recommend the Ghostly Visage familiar, which should always possess your character to give you immunity to anything mind-affecting. It can manifest over your face to use its paralyzing gaze in combat, and it can spend an action every round to force a target to save against the effect again, even if it's not looking and/or already made a save for it that round. Just make sure your party doesn't look at you, as gaze attacks are indiscriminate.

avr
2012-10-31, 10:36 PM
You've missed out a couple of basic necessities; assuming you're limited to 25% of your budget on any given item, a +2 cloak of charisma is almost assumed. A vest of resistance +2 is another 4K well spent.

Metamagic rods (lesser) - whatever fits your casting style. I'd definitely get empower, and probably enlarge and silent also.

Also see Shax's haversacks.