PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dimension Door/Cape of the Mountebank Question

Alaris
2012-10-31, 11:19 PM
Short, to the point question. Cape of the Mountebank allows you to teleport as if by Dimension Door. Does that mean it can teleport additional people with you, like Dimension Door?

My gut says yes, since it's "As Dimension Door." But it only specifies teleporting the user, so I figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance.

animewatcha
2012-10-31, 11:23 PM
Helps if you point to the source of the cape so we can get the exact wording of it. There are cases of 'as if by' that specificly ( via the item ) target the user/appropriate target only. There are others that act exactly 'as if.' Word for word for the spell/ability/etc..

Alaris
2012-10-31, 11:25 PM
Ah, well it's a DMG item. Pretty standard.

Cape of the Mountebank:
Cape of the Mountebank
On command, this bright red and gold cape allows the wearer to use the magic of the dimension door spell once per day. When he disappears, he leaves behind a cloud of smoke, appearing in a similar fashion at his destination.

Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, dimension door; Price 10,080 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Stormfang
2012-10-31, 11:49 PM
Ah, well it's a DMG item. Pretty standard.

Cape of the Mountebank:
Cape of the Mountebank
On command, this bright red and gold cape allows the wearer to use the magic of the dimension door spell once per day. When he disappears, he leaves behind a cloud of smoke, appearing in a similar fashion at his destination.

Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, dimension door; Price 10,080 gp; Weight 1 lb.

I see a conflict in the rules here that would have to be adjudicated by your DM. On one hand the item states that you can use Dimension Door once per day. On the other hand, the literal definition states that the wearer can use Dimension Door. I'd say its up to your DM as to whether you can wrap that cape around someone else and teleport away. That is unless there is some other precedent I am not aware of.

Alaris
2012-10-31, 11:56 PM
I see a conflict in the rules here that would have to be adjudicated by your DM. On one hand the item states that you can use Dimension Door once per day. On the other hand, the literal definition states that the wearer can use Dimension Door. I'd say its up to your DM as to whether you can wrap that cape around someone else and teleport away. That is unless there is some other precedent I am not aware of.

Well, being that I'm the DM, that's what I'm debating. As written, I'm thinking only the user, but... it could go either way.

Looking for more opinions, or a final ruling from WoTC, thanks much!

MesiDoomstalker
2012-11-01, 12:00 AM
It says the user can use Dimension Door. Dimension Door can bring others. Seems pretty clear to me.

Acanous
2012-11-01, 12:14 AM
This is another instance of Magic A is Magic A. In this instance, can a Wizard with Dimension Door prepared, who is holding his action, counterspell your dimension door? If no, you can only take yourself. it's an item doing something to the wearer that is LIKE a spell. If yes? You can take someone with you. The item is CASTING the spell, with you as the primary target.

Alaris
2012-11-01, 12:28 AM
This is another instance of Magic A is Magic A. In this instance, can a Wizard with Dimension Door prepared, who is holding his action, counterspell your dimension door? If no, you can only take yourself. it's an item doing something to the wearer that is LIKE a spell. If yes? You can take someone with you. The item is CASTING the spell, with you as the primary target.

See, I don't like the wording "Use the magic of the spell dimension door, once per day." I'm thinking it might be fluff, but it implies you're using the actual spell, which would mean it's counterable. Which would then mean, of course, it could take multiple people.

Hmm... or I might rule that it can wrap you and another person, but no more. Since it's supposed to be a cape. But that would be a personal ruling.

Any other opinions, or sight of an official ruling?

Thanks again everyone.

animewatcha
2012-11-01, 01:37 AM
So can it be agreed upon the following...

RAI has it as self-only.

RAW has it as willing folks/objects included?

nyarlathotep
2012-11-01, 01:45 AM
I don't necissarily see RAI as being self only. It's a stage magician disappearing act and those frequently have multiple people being taken, usually by having the cape pass over them during the disappearance. Ergo the other people were just in the cloud of smoke with you while teleporting.

candycorn
2012-11-01, 01:53 AM

So... If a Nymph uses it's Dimension Door SLA, it cannot take anyone else?

I'm not able to ascertain your thought process. I see nothing in the rules that links effects to the method in which that effect was generated, as a default. Could you clarify how you are reaching your conclusion, by the rules?

Cog
2012-11-01, 08:16 AM
It doesn't let the wearer cast the spell, it lets the wearer use the magic of the spell, which sounds to me like the result. Your allies are welcome to any non-magical portions of the spell... which are unfortunately nonexistent.

So: RAW, only you; RAI, who knows? Kinda badly worded.

Joe the Rat
2012-11-01, 08:53 AM
I'd agree on it not being counterable (use magic, not cast magic).

I appreciate wanting to establish abilities by using common effect descriptions, but it's instances like this where they needed to either nail down all the little details like this, or clearly talk in effects of spells rather than acting as spell analogs. ("Disappear and travel in a manner similar to dimension door... has the effects of dimension door... something like that?)

Personally, I suspect the RAI was for personal use, but I'd let the user swish the gaudy garment over someone else before they all disappear in a puff of magic. The whole thing reeks of showmanship (and cheap cologne), so it would fit thematically for you to make your able-bodied assistant disappear as well.

I'd be willing to make the argument on theme that the cape should let you make just someone else disappear, but that is stretching the rules of the spell/effect (and directly contradicts the item's RAW).

nedz
2012-11-01, 09:18 AM
Well it has CL 9, so that could be three extra people ?
Or none ?

Its a DM call I'm afraid, RAW is often ambiguous.

Keld Denar
2012-11-01, 09:30 AM
Many Outsiders get Greater Teleport as an SLA. It specifically and explicitly limits that teleport to "self + 50 lbs". Cape of the Montebank does not contain similar wording. It simply says "wearer uses magic of Dim Door", and Dim Door allows friends. It is CL 9, so that is self + 3 friends, up to 760 feet away.

Diarmuid
2012-11-01, 03:16 PM
+1 to what Keld said.

Using the magic of, is using the magic of...and that magic at that caster level includes being able to take other people.

Boci
2012-11-01, 03:29 PM
It doesn't let the wearer cast the spell, it lets the wearer use the magic of the spell, which sounds to me like the result. Your allies are welcome to any non-magical portions of the spell... which are unfortunately nonexistent.

So: RAW, only you; RAI, who knows? Kinda badly worded.

Erm, no. "which sounds to me" is not going to lead to clear RAW reading. The magic could just as easily be read as what the spell does, ie teleporting yourself and others.

RagnaroksChosen
2012-11-01, 03:32 PM
ya I have to agree with Keld Denar.

Nothing in the item example says it limits the power of Dimension door. All other places that I know of say some sort of limitation.

Regardless By RAW you and 3 of your buddies can teleport with DD when using the cape.

We have cases where teleports are limited by the text of an item/ability (as per Keld Denar's example).

So based on this I would rule that Raw says you can bring people.

Acanous
2012-11-01, 05:46 PM
So... If a Nymph uses it's Dimension Door SLA, it cannot take anyone else?

I'm not able to ascertain your thought process. I see nothing in the rules that links effects to the method in which that effect was generated, as a default. Could you clarify how you are reaching your conclusion, by the rules?

It's the wording "To use the magic of the Dimension Door Spell". Thus you are using a spell, which can be countered. That's where I'm reaching the conclusion from.