PDA

View Full Version : Best 5th and 6th lv Sorc spells to Persist

Malroth
2012-11-01, 03:06 AM
Friend of mine is writing up a Bard/Sublime Chord and Taking the Talifran song/Metamagic song combo to allow him to Use Bardic Music to Persist buffs, and I noticed that If he took metamagic school focus he'd be able to persist 5ths from one school and he'd also be able to grab a 6th if he also took arcane thesis.

So since there'd be at least a 3 feat investment to get these higher level persists i was wondering what self targeting spells might be worth it to get a 24 hour duration on.

Darius Kane
2012-11-01, 03:14 AM
Disclaimer: I read the following on optimization forums (although often enough and from trustworthy people, that's why I believe it), so it might actually not be true.

Persistent Spell got errata'd. You can't persist spells with effective level higher than you can cast, even if you're using metamagic reducers.

kardar233
2012-11-01, 05:23 AM
Disclaimer: I read the following on optimization forums (although often enough and from trustworthy people, that's why I believe it), so it might actually not be true.

Persistent Spell got errata'd. You can't persist spells with effective level higher than you can cast, even if you're using metamagic reducers.

That is incorrect. However, it is a common houserule to reduce the power of Persistent Spell.

Improved Blink and Sakkratar's Triplestrike (both LEoF IIRC) are good targets.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-11-01, 05:42 AM
Triple Strike is an invalid target for Persistent Spell. Unless there was an updated version outside of Lost Empires of Faerun, it's a close range spell. Also Improved Blink is in Unapproachable East.

nedz
2012-11-01, 09:29 AM
If you could get it to 7th then I'd say Arcane Spellsurge.

Otherwise, well it depends upon what you want to do.
Tenser's Transformation might be excellent for you, otherwise it might not be a good choice.

Snowbluff
2012-11-01, 09:41 AM
The "Bite of Weresomething" Spells are pretty hand for gish.

I think Metamagic Song doesn't let you go past the max spell level you can cast, though.

Eldest
2012-11-01, 10:42 AM
Lower level, but Glibness is nice.

Keld Denar
2012-11-01, 10:55 AM
Greater Blink is solid. It was reprinted in SpC.

Bite of the Were-X spells are already hours/level, so persisting then is rather meh.

Isn't there an awesome bard spell, like, Siren's Grace or something that is pretty sweet for persisting? Not a sorc spell, but a Sublime Chord spell.

dextercorvia
2012-11-01, 11:12 AM
The "Bite of Weresomething" Spells are pretty hand for gish.

I think Metamagic Song doesn't let you go past the max spell level you can cast, though.

That is why he uses Talfrian Song.

Slipperychicken
2012-11-01, 11:36 AM
AMF, using the Extraordinary Spell Aim feat so it doesn't affect you.

Surprisingly, it's better as an anti-melee defense, since they usually need magic to get in melee range while you're flying (AMF cancels their flight until they fall out of range). It also makes summons and ghosts wink out, so there's that. Even if they do get in range, their buffs (including their precious +stat items, the Su class features some classes like Monks get) are off while yours are still going strong.

danzibr
2012-11-01, 11:50 AM
AMF, using the Extraordinary Spell Aim feat so it doesn't affect you.

Surprisingly, it's better as an anti-melee defense, since they usually need magic to get in melee range while you're flying (AMF cancels their flight until they fall out of range). It also makes summons and ghosts wink out, so there's that. Even if they do get in range, their buffs (including their precious +stat items, the Su class features some classes like Monks get) are off while yours are still going strong.
Whoa that's an awesome idea. I like it.

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-01, 01:04 PM
However, leaving that hole in the middle around yourself leaves you wide open to ranged magical attacks, since they become un-suppressed right when they reach you.

kardar233
2012-11-01, 03:30 PM
Triple Strike is an invalid target for Persistent Spell. Unless there was an updated version outside of Lost Empires of Faerun, it's a close range spell. Also Improved Blink is in Unapproachable East.

I haven't played a Persistent Spell-caster without Ocular spell in.... ever. That would probably explain why I didn't realize that.

Urpriest
2012-11-01, 03:35 PM
Draconic Polymorph is 5th level, persistable, and, well, polymorph. Though without being rounds/level you might not consider it worth persisting. Still, it can give pretty vast benefits.

evil-frosty
2012-11-01, 03:50 PM
Bite of the Were-X spells are already hours/level, so persisting then is rather meh.

My copy of SpC says that they are only a round per level so actually persisting them is awesome. Unless if my copy is flagrantly wrong.

docnessuno
2012-11-01, 04:12 PM
If you could get it to 7th then I'd say Arcane Spellsurge.

Otherwise, well it depends upon what you want to do.
Tenser's Transformation might be excellent for you, otherwise it might not be a good choice.

Arcane thesis arcane spellsurge?
DEAL!

Mithril Leaf
2012-11-01, 10:21 PM
Draconic Polymorph is 5th level, persistable, and, well, polymorph. Though without being rounds/level you might not consider it worth persisting. Still, it can give pretty vast benefits.

Use this and turn into a Yangoloth for super high strength. Or anything out of this thread (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=519) really.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-01, 10:40 PM
Draconic Polymorph, Bite of the Werecreature or Draconic Might, Greater Blink, and Dragonsight are all 5th level Transmutations. I actually don't really like the Blink line of spells due creatures like Ethereal Slayers which were designed specifically to punish PCs who use such effects, but not every DM is as cruel as the group I play with.

Don't forget Greater Mirror Image is a Bard 4 spell, and Ray Deflection is a must-have. Get a custom Runestaff (MIC p224) with all of your 1/day buffs on it so you won't have to spend any spells known on them. You can use Ancestral Relic to put any spells you want on your Runestaff and even switch out which ones it has.

Slipperychicken
2012-11-01, 11:45 PM
If it hasn't been banned in your game yet, Friendly Fire (EoE, Sorc/Wiz 4) will basically make any ranged attack against you an automatic miss... and compel the DM to immediately cave your skull in with a DMG.

dextercorvia
2012-11-02, 08:15 AM
If it hasn't been banned in your game yet, Friendly Fire (EoE, Sorc/Wiz 4) will basically make any ranged attack against you an automatic miss... and compel the DM to immediately cave your skull in with a DMG.

But, as you have Friendly Fire up, he would be forced to resort to melee. :smallwink: