PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Two Weapon Fighter/Rogue tips?

Ertenian
2012-11-01, 04:05 AM
Hello folks :)

This will be my first post on this forum, after weeks of lurking.
We have just started a PathFinder-campaign and since I have only a moderate amount of experience with D&D, I decided to keep things basic and go for a straight-up melee fighter.
I like the idea of using two weapons (in this case, handaxes) better then just one big, evil sword.
I spent some time designing my character and the feeling that in the current party set-up (Barbarian, Monk, Witch and me) we were lacking someone to help us avoid traps (our DM is rumoured to love them).
Since two-weapon fighting is great as a rogue as well, I thought: Why not throw in a some levels as a Rogue? It would certainly complement my buccaneerish backstory!
I'm thinking that using the extra precision-damage is quite achievable through flanking and that the extra skills will make me just great at spotting and disabling traps (and other stuff, Perception & Dis.Device, yay!).

Anyway! The part I have trouble with is making an optimal build, choosing the right feats, etc. to achieve a character that is both good inside and out of combat and that is interesting to play!
I know for sure the Barbarian will outdamage me (she rolled two 18s on her ability scores! damn), so either being a better meat-shield or hindering opponents are solid options, I do think.

Character info:
I am John Iron, level 1 N.E. Half-Elf Fighter. I want to fight with two handaxes and be useful outside of combat too (first two levels as a rogue for the trap-spotter trick?).
My stats are: 16str, 16dex, 14con, 13int, 10wis, 8cha.
With a Chainshirt my AC is 17 and my movement is unhindered.
Starting feats: Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (Handaxe), Skill Focus (Perception).

Any tips on how to build this character into "pirate" that might even be more terrifying on land than on the seas?

Thanks in advance!
Ertenian