PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Weapon Flinger

mrbreakit
2012-11-01, 05:04 AM
So after some searching of the GitP forums and the internet at large, I wasn't able to find anything particular to what I was looking for.

First and foremost, I am new to 3.5. Shocking, I know, but I mostly play OWoD and Rifts. A friend of mine has lent me a veritable library of books to pour over in preparation of my first 3.5 Campaign. That said, I have some ideas as to what I want to do (mechanically), but I'm really at a loss as how to make all this tasty crunch fit properly.

I'm entering the game at level 5, a little underwhelming, but a nice change of pace than the eternal Rifts level 1 and OWoD's rather ambiguous generations of power. So anyway, to the point....

I want to make a character who throws Swords, axes, daggers, etc. Whatever he can get his mitts on. I was looking through Complete Warrior and after eyeballing Master Thrower, I was thinking that something like....5 levels in fighter as a human (this seems rather feat intensive to make work)

Point Blank Shot
Brutal Throw
Throw Anything
Far Shot (So I can throw 15ft as opposed to 10)
Rapid Shot (So I can throw two weapons per attack, correct?)

and then from there on as I level I can focus on a few levels of Master Thrower...and then...I dunno.

Anyway, does this seem o.k.? Am I getting the crunch correct?

Thanks in advance.

falloutimperial
2012-11-01, 05:07 AM
I think you need at least one weapon focus feat before entering Master Thrower.

Darrin
2012-11-01, 05:38 AM
I want to make a character who throws Swords, axes, daggers, etc. Whatever he can get his mitts on. I was looking through Complete Warrior and after eyeballing Master Thrower, I was thinking that something like....5 levels in fighter as a human (this seems rather feat intensive to make work)

First, never take an odd-number levels of fighter. They're "dead" levels (that is, you don't get an class features from them).

Second... no Hulking Hurler, eh? Well, actually, we need to know a little bit more about what books you have available. More specifically, do you have access to Tome of Battle? (There's something in there called Bloodstorm Blade that lets you treat thrown weapons as melee attacks.)

The Katana Chucker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134276) comes to mind, although that uses Iajutsu Focus, which might be outside of your scope.

RoyVG
2012-11-01, 05:39 AM
Im away from my books right now but I do have a suggestion for an item and also a few alternatives that you can look at:

I think Gloves of Endless Javelins are a good item on this character. It produces magical +1 Javelins at will as a free action. You can find it in Magic Item Compendium. Maybe ask your DM to modify it if you want it to be daggers, or throwing axes, etc). Starting at level 5, you should be able to buy it, unless your DM does not give you any money to start with.

If you have Tome of Battle available, have a look at the Bloodstorm Blade prestige class. It allows you to throw your weapons, and have them return to you automatically. If you take enough levels, they even count as melee weapons and you can take melee oriented feats and have them apply to your thrown weapons. You will need to take Warblade levels (base class in this book) to make most use out of it. This does involve learning a new subsystem within 3.5, but it is not that hard to learn. I don't know the prereqs by heart, so I don't know at what level you can take this class. I do think it had less pre-reqs than the Master Thrower.

There is also the Hulking Hurler (Races of Stone, I think...?) but you need to be a Large creature for that one (or count as a Large creature, like Goliath). It's only 3 levels and give you the 'Throw Really Anything' class feature, which is basically the Throw Anything feat, except everything that you can carry as a light load, can be thrown.

This is all I can give you now, good luck with your character.

EDIT: NINJA'D

mrbreakit
2012-11-01, 05:49 AM
Books I have available to me currently are Players Handbook 1 and 2, Dungeon Masters Guide, Complete Warrior, Complete Scoundrel, Heroes of Battle, Races of the Wild, Complete Adventurer, Complete Champion, Complete Arcane. I do have the Tome of Battle, but I was given specific instructions regarding "keep the smelly stuff to a minimum" when it was piled onto the milk crate of books.

I imagine that request is in regards to maneuvers and such...which even to an untrained eye, seem a little sheisty.:smallbiggrin:

White_Drake
2012-11-01, 07:06 AM
Even if you don't use any of the classes in there (which I don't recommend, Tome of Battle is great) a single feat to gain access to one maneuver, is all I think you need to qualify for Bloodstorm Blade, which is an excellent thrown weapons master (although, as RoyVG mentioned, you would really be best off entering with Warblade). Master Thrower, as you have already noted, is decent too. I wouldn't recommend the Hulking Hurler because unless I'm mistaken, it only actually gets truly powerful when you pump you Str into the stratoshpere and throw subcontinental landmasses.

RoyVG
2012-11-01, 08:01 AM
Shame to hear Tome of Battle is 'treated' this way by your DM, mine was almost pushing us to use it. These days, it's like 'When in doubt, C4 ToB' :smallbiggrin:

Still, taking 1 level in Warblade would not be that game-breaking, it allows you to qualify for the PrC much easier, opening up feat slots otherwise wasted, and gives you a recovery mechanic for your maneuvers, something you really need for a Bloodstorm Blade.

a single feat to gain access to one maneuver, is all I think you need to qualify for Bloodstorm Blade.
You also need a stance from Iron Heart, so that is 2 feats for a non-martial adept. It would take the same amount of feat space to qualify for either of the two (Point Black Shot, Martial Study and Martial Stance VS Point Black Shot, Precise Shot and Weapon Focus). Warblade takes away 2 feats when going BSS.

One problem i think that the Master Thrower has is that you need Weapon Focus with a thrown weapon to use most of its tricks. Meaning you can only do the tricks with 1-2 thrown weapons. BSS allows its abilities with any thrown weapon and with all weapons 'becoming' thrown weapons with Throw Anything, you can use any weapon for BSS. BSS seems to fit the 'grab anything and throw' style you mentioned in the first post a bit better

Still, do what you think is fun. That is most important.

Talionis
2012-11-01, 09:47 AM
Throw Anything is a feat in one of the completes. It will let you throw any weapon.

I suggest either 2 or 4 levels of Fighter for the feats. That leaves 3 or 1 level of another class. 1 Level of Fighter is probably ok since you can do so much with Turn Undead attempts if that's a direction you decide to go.

Options:

Ranger 2 -- Gives you two weapon fighting feat and other Ranger stuff
Duskblade 3 -- Gives you channeling spells, which will not be useful, but some of the Duskblade spells are self buffs and might be useful for a character like yours.
Paladin 2 -- grants Charisma to Saves and
Paladin 4 -- grants Turn Undead, Turn Undead itself isn't that useful, but there are many ways to use Turn Undead to fuel other things that are helpful such as Travel Devotion granting movement and then Full Attacking, you'll want to do a lot of Full Attacking.
Swashbuckler 3 -- Grants Weapon Finesse and Inciteful Strike which is Intelligence to Damage. With Palm Throw Trick and the other Trick that lets you hit an adjacent foe, you maybe throwing a lot of weapons and in a low op campaign every bit of extra damage maybe important.

I'm sure other options are there too.

Below is Person Man's list of Full BAB classes, then look and see what other Full BAB class could be helpful:

"Here is the base class index. It took me one minute to cut and paste it into Excel, and then delete out the non-full BAB classes. (From memory, sadly. I've been playing this game too long).

Class Source Pg
barbarian ECS 33
barbarian FRCS 22
barbarian PlH 28
barbarian PH* 24
barbarian Sa 44
crusader ToB 8
duskblade PH2 19
dwarf fighter RS 146
eidolon Gh 16
elf paladin RW 155
elf ranger RW 155