PDA

View Full Version : Grappling -> CMB/CMD

Hanuman
2012-11-01, 08:16 AM
So is there any mechanical standards that change with this conversion into pathfinder?

Like if a class granted +4 to grapple in 3.5 what would be appropriate for +CMB/CMD(Just Grappling)

Golkiwu
2012-11-01, 08:26 AM
CMB = Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + special size modifier

CMD = 10 + Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + Dexterity modifier + special size modifier + miscellaneous modifiers

So for a grapple bonus, you just add the bonus to the calculated totals.

If you have a Grapple bonus to Defend, it adds to the your CMD.

If you have a Grapple Bonus to Attack/Grapple (initiate/maintain/pin) it adds to the CMB.

This goes for any Combat Maneuver Modifiers (Steal/Trip/Disarm/Grapple/etc).

Andreaz
2012-11-01, 08:28 AM
You can separate the maneuvers directly, just fine. That's what the improved maneuver feats do, for example. CMB/CMD are mostly shorthand to give you a single number to look at when it's not something which you specialized.

Absol197
2012-11-01, 08:36 AM
Basically what they're saying is that if it's a +4 to rgapple in 3.5, it's a +4 to CMB and CMD to grapple in Pathfinder.

This applies to all bonuses to combat maneuvers.

If it's only to initiate a grapple, the bonus only applies to CMB, and if it's only to defend against or escape one, it only applies to CMD.

Once again, this applies to all bonuses to combat maneuvers.

~Phoenix~

Novawurmson
2012-11-01, 10:21 AM
What's the 3.5 class? Generally, straight conversion is fine for a 3.P game (PF with lots of/all of 3.5 allowed), but for a mostly PF game, you might want to drop it a little as large bonuses to grapple can be uncommon if you're not a 20 headed monstrosity. Still, it depends on how difficult it is to get said bonus to grapple.

Hanuman
2012-11-03, 04:43 AM
Ozodrin, 20 headed monstrosity.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153536
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=464841
(Currently converting my level 10 ozodrin to a level 6 for a pathfinder campaign I'm playing in.)

Anyway, thats helpful (thanks guys, faster sorting for defense grapple into CMD as I didn't think that by memory), 1:1 sounds easy, just wanted to make sure.